PDA

View Full Version : Get OUTTA my way! STRAVA!

BumbleBeeDave
08-30-2012, 06:45 AM
Was just checking in on Facebook and ProBikeKit posted this intriguing question . . .

Have you ever had a fellow cyclist demand the right of way on the road or trail by screaming "Strava!"?

Never happened to me, but what about you? What was your reaction? Still trying to figure out if I'd just say "Yeah, whatever . . ." and let them past, or have a rather, uh, more colorfully phrased reaction. :rolleyes:

BBD

AngryScientist
08-30-2012, 06:52 AM
i dont think i could contain my laughter if someone were charging up behind me screaming Strava! if that actually occurs in the real world, it's pretty damned funny.

sw3759
08-30-2012, 06:56 AM
sounds like a good way to get brake checked :cool:

paulh
08-30-2012, 06:58 AM
http://303cycling.com/are-you-a-stravasshole

Elefantino
08-30-2012, 07:02 AM
No, but I did come across this (http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/strava-lighter-side-27616.html#post404484), which is priceless.

gearguywb
08-30-2012, 07:58 AM
If someone yelled "Strava" at me while I was riding I would probably ancer with "Rhinoceros"...or something equally ridiculous

67-59
08-30-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm sure these guys have a lot of "fun" on their rides.:rolleyes:

Monthly Payment
08-30-2012, 09:37 AM
I appeal to the same sense of self-entitlement as I try to get people out of my way by telling them "I am training for an Ironman."

tele
08-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Demanding a right of way if they are passing? Hell no and I have never heard someone yell Strava either. Ridiculous

Keith A
08-30-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm thinking Italian rider from Breaking Away :eek:

redir
08-30-2012, 10:15 AM
I've never heard it. But people rarely pass me :p :) :help:

:)

Gummee
08-30-2012, 10:34 AM
There're lots of times when I'm glad I live out in the sticks. :nod Not only have I not heard that, I don't tend to meet people on my rides period, much less ones on a strava mission.

M

MattTuck
08-30-2012, 11:05 AM
This is hilarious. If someone said that to me, I'd look back pretending to be confused, to my left and let the bike drift left just to make it harder for them to get around me.

Strava rocks for people in your 'clubs' or that you know. Trying to get a KOM on a segment for the sake of getting a KOM is absurd. There's a hill around here that Ted King is the KOM on, his heart rate on it was like 148 or something.

slidey
08-30-2012, 11:37 AM
I'd probably yell 'Flat' as soon as the rider passed me.

majorpat
08-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Dopes

nighthawk
08-30-2012, 12:11 PM
There're lots of times when I'm glad I live out in the sticks. :nod Not only have I not heard that, I don't tend to meet people on my rides period, much less ones on a strava mission.

M

Same. Though one time I had a young whipper snapper blow by me on some flat river road... I marveled at his speed, kept my pace, and caught up to him literally 5 minutes around the corner. When I got home I realized that was a STRAVA segment... Hence his gusto, I assume. If he had yelled "STRAVA" at me , I probably would have countered with "50 miles into an 80 mile ride!" and kept on keepin on.

benitosan1972
08-30-2012, 01:05 PM
The correct protocol: "Strava rider passing on your left." :banana:

martinrjensen
08-30-2012, 08:58 PM
I just looked across the hall there at your link. A lot of those posts are pretty lame, quite condescending IMO. I have no problems with Strava. I use it and love having it available.No, but I did come across this (http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/strava-lighter-side-27616.html#post404484), which is priceless.

Louis
08-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Wusses.

I don't need Strava to claim ownership of the road - it's already mine.

buldogge
08-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Communist...

-Mark in St. Louis

Wusses.

I don't need Strava to claim ownership of the road - it's already mine.

Louis
08-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Communist...

Akin supporter...

buldogge
08-31-2012, 12:06 AM
:help:

Isn't he from St. Louis County??? :p

Akin supporter...

buldogge
08-31-2012, 12:09 AM
ps...I wish all the residents of the far-flung exurbs wanted to share "their" nice roads with us bikes, as much as they want to share the never-ending new highways with other cars!

-Mark

Louis
08-31-2012, 12:14 AM
ps...I wish all the residents of the far-flung exurbs wanted to share "their" nice roads with us bikes, as much as they want to share the never-ending new highways with other cars!

Mark, you're welocome to come out and ride the valley levee trail anytime you like.

(Just stay off Wildhorse Creek Rd, so you don't slow me down as I drive to work in the morning. :p)

buldogge
08-31-2012, 12:18 AM
You know...if there were sidewalks, I would get on them! :confused:

-Mark

ps...I'm going to bed...I need to save my energy for my commute.

Mark, you're welocome to come out and ride the valley levee trail anytime you like.

(Just stay off Wildhorse Creek Rd, so you don't slow me down as I drive to work in the morning. :p)

Ti Designs
08-31-2012, 12:24 AM
That's just what we need, a new and modern reason to be rude.

I'm a pretty friendly guy on the bike, will ride with just about anyone. In the past there have been people who have blurted out some things in passing which prompted me to make a point with my legs and my bike. Here are a few of my favorites:

"Slow!" - said to me by a guy on an aero bike passing me while I was out on a base mileage ride on my fixed gear. He then towed me to the next hill where I dropped him. I was in a 42x19 on studded snow tires.

"Watch and learn" - said to me by the second of two idiots in full team kits at the bottom of a hill I know all too well. I watched them ride, then I watched them struggle, then I listened to them wheezing. What was I learning from this???

"we're gonna go hard soon" - by a tri guy on a tri bike. I was heading out my normal loop when I ran into two guys on tri bikes. Not wanting to be rude I asked if I could tag along. This got no response at all. Then I asked where they were heading, also no response. I then asked if they spoke english (I thought it was funny), and the second one said "we're going hard soon". they then both shifted up and pushed much harder, but they didn't seem to go any faster. I sat up a bit, ramped up the rpm's, pulled up next to the one who had said that and asked if we were going harder now.

You don't need Strava to be and a$$hole, but it sure helps.

fogrider
08-31-2012, 12:55 AM

I'm a pretty friendly guy on the bike, will ride with just about anyone. In the past there have been people who have blurted out some things in passing which prompted me to make a point with my legs and my bike. Here are a few of my favorites:

"Slow!" - said to me by a guy on an aero bike passing me while I was out on a base mileage ride on my fixed gear. He then towed me to the next hill where I dropped him. I was in a 42x19 on studded snow tires.

"Watch and learn" - said to me by the second of two idiots in full team kits at the bottom of a hill I know all too well. I watched them ride, then I watched them struggle, then I listened to them wheezing. What was I learning from this???

"we're gonna go hard soon" - by a tri guy on a tri bike. I was heading out my normal loop when I ran into two guys on tri bikes. Not wanting to be rude I asked if I could tag along. This got no response at all. Then I asked where they were heading, also no response. I then asked if they spoke english (I thought it was funny), and the second one said "we're going hard soon". they then both shifted up and pushed much harder, but they didn't seem to go any faster. I sat up a bit, ramped up the rpm's, pulled up next to the one who had said that and asked if we were going harder now.

that's pretty funny! in my younger days, a guy pulled up next to me and looked at me, shifted into a big gear and stood to crank. I just upped my rpms and he got to max speed wheezing hard and I just kept next to him in the same gear spinning away. I knew he maxed out so I shifted to a higher gear and sped off.

slidey
08-31-2012, 01:01 AM
Haha...nice ones!

slidey
08-31-2012, 01:02 AM
Next time someone yells Strava, I'm going to yell back...'Strava just became paid' :cool:

Keith A
08-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Ti Designs -- Those were great!

Jaq
08-31-2012, 11:02 AM
The last time anyone said anything to me as they passed it was something along the lines of "ewww! oh my god! If you're gonna do that on the bike, could you at least aim into the gutter!?"

martinrjensen
08-31-2012, 04:53 PM
that's funny!That's just what we need, a new and modern reason to be rude.