PDA

View Full Version : Tom Danielsons Core Advantage (Book)

firerescuefin
08-29-2012, 03:50 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Danielsons-Core-Advantage-Strength/dp/193403097X

As some of you may know, I have dealt with and rehab'd from some some serious injuries. The author (Allison Westphal) is the smartest person I have come across on the sports physio/rehab/cyclist specific strength side. I had the opportunity to work with her for about 6 months, and plan to work with her over the winter. I ordered the book, but haven't received it yet (pre-ordered). I have no doubt it's great.

For Harry Black...this is a must read.:cool:

don'TreadOnMe
08-29-2012, 04:09 PM
I wish it was available now...gotta wait 'til Jan 2013.

MattTuck
08-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I don't understand the logic of releasing it in January. Maybe this would be a good gift for the holiday shopping period for cyclists in people's lives....

firerescuefin
08-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I don't understand the logic of releasing it in January. Maybe this would be a good gift for the holiday shopping period for cyclists in people's lives....

I'm going to shoot her an e-mail regarding that date.

bcm119
08-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Looks great, thanks for the tip.

firerescuefin
08-29-2012, 05:32 PM
When I ordered it, I didn't see that the ship was January...sorry about that.

Allison just wrote me back.

"Geoff...Sadly, the January 1st date is correct. The book is in editing right now, and we do the photo shoot for the exercise section in a few weeks. Tell your friends that it will be worth the wait,:)"

MattTuck
08-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks Geoff! This forum is a great resource for all the connections people have and are willing to share with the forum.

I'm looking forward to the book myself, as for the 4th time in a row, 'this is going to be the year when I really get in good over all shape during the winter'... hope that it is the first that it actually happens!

tiretrax
08-29-2012, 06:00 PM

Are they waiting for it to ship from China?

harryblack
08-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Fire-- I'm a huge proponent of core strength training, foam rollers, lacrosse ball trigger point etc... I'm glad you are well and wish the same on all our Paceline colleagues with injuries, ailments, etc.

I do, however, look EXTREMELY askance at ** anything ** Tom Danielson does or says.

With his FREAK genetics, his career is a joke... good for one whole stage and one breakaway in Colorado, whew!

So while I approve the message, you the Florida expat messenger (and as you know, us Floridians are feisty), and I'm sure Alison is a top notch practitioner, the ersatz "celebrity" tie-in is laughable. I'd be more impressed if she collab'd with, say, a Colorado ultra-runner-- those dudes (and women) are crazy strong.

Also, you have seen this, right?

http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Redefine-Your-Conquer-Confidence/dp/1609611004

But OK, maybe the joke's on me and when Danielson retires, he'll do triathlons like Udo Bolts, Laurent Jalabert and that dude in Austin/Aspen... let's see TD's core strength then, shall we?

Until then, however, "Tommy D" time trialling up Mt Washington doesn't impress me, likewise the low expectations of his tifosi or TD's litany of excuses year-in, year-out.

(Contador, Froome, Rodriguez and Valverde in the Vuelta TT today all were VERY impressive; A. Talasnky too for a kid and of course Kessiakoff.)

http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Danielsons-Core-Advantage-Strength/dp/193403097X

As some of you may know, I have dealt with and rehab'd from some some serious injuries. The author (Allison Westphal) is the smartest person I have come across on the sports physio/rehab/cyclist specific strength side. I had the opportunity to work with her for about 6 months, and plan to work with her over the winter. I ordered the book, but haven't received it yet (pre-ordered). I have no doubt it's great.

For Harry Black...this is a must read.:cool:

firerescuefin
08-29-2012, 06:06 PM
HB...I was an absolute mess...and I went to her after working with quite a few other "highly recommended" folks. She literally put humpty dumpty back together again....and was just so much better than anyone else. Her ability to step back and diagnose what the root cause was and target that was huge for me. I don't live in fear of my next injury.

I've met TD, worked out alongside of him. He had some major back issues..herniated and bulging discs (lumbar)...she's got him really stable on the bike.

I'm looking forward to the book.

Fixed
08-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Fire-- I'm a huge proponent of core strength training, foam rollers, lacrosse ball trigger point etc... I'm glad you are well and wish the same on all our Paceline colleagues with injuries, ailments, etc.

I do, however, look EXTREMELY askance at ** anything ** Tom Danielson does or says.

With his FREAK genetics, his career is a joke... good for one whole stage and one breakaway in Colorado, whew!

So while I approve the message, you the Florida expat messenger (and as you know, us Floridians are feisty), and I'm sure Alison is a top notch practitioner, the ersatz "celebrity" tie-in is laughable. I'd be more impressed if she collab'd with, say, a Colorado ultra-runner-- those dudes (and women) are crazy strong.

Also, you have seen this, right?

http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Redefine-Your-Conquer-Confidence/dp/1609611004

But OK, maybe the joke's on me and when Danielson retires, he'll do triathlons like Udo Bolts, Laurent Jalabert and that dude in Austin/Aspen... let's see TD's core strength then, shall we?

Until then, however, "Tommy D" time trialling up Mt Washington doesn't impress me, likewise the low expectations of his tifosi or TD's litany of excuses year-in, year-out.

(Contador, Froome, Rodriguez and Valverde in the Vuelta TT today all were VERY impressive; A. Talasnky too for a kid and of course Kessiakoff.)
H.b. has always thought provoking post always intresting IMHO And check out the movie it is very entertaining

Cheers http://www.google.com/search?q=harry+black+and+the+tiger&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#biv=i|2;d|GtFYqeMBFo229M:

MattTuck
01-16-2013, 08:03 PM
PSA. This book is now available.

Anyone picked up a copy? I think I'm going to order it.

metalheart
01-16-2013, 08:07 PM
I just received a copy and started reading it today ... looks to be well worth it, with an emphasis on why core matters in cycling and what specific exercises help to develop core ... it is more than just the abs.

MattTuck
01-22-2013, 07:36 PM
I picked this book up and just started reading the intro, skimming the chapters and pictures. It looks like it is an extremely informative book about the core...

If you have the opportunity to check it out at the book store, I'd highly recommend it.

Climb01742
01-22-2013, 07:44 PM
just ordered it. thanks for the heads up.

Louis
01-22-2013, 07:48 PM
So how many minutes for how many times / week does one need to do that voodoo that they do to have "decent" core strength?

MattTuck
01-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Louis, I skipped ahead in the book.

Looks like the work outs range in frequency between 2 - 5 times per week, with most recommended for 3-4 times per week. They take between 12 - 25 minutes, with most falling in the 15-20 minute range.

The workouts are organized as 3 levels, with each level having 5 workouts; so ideally you would do Level 1, Workout 1 for 1 week, followed by Level 1, Workout 2, and so on. By the end of it, you'll be crushing your riding buddies ;)

A nice bonus is that none of the workouts require equipment. It is all either on the floor, against a wall or using a door frame (from what I can see).

false_Aest
01-22-2013, 08:11 PM
So how many minutes for how many times / week does one need to do that voodoo that they do to have "decent" core strength?

That's like asking, "How many miles do I need to ride a week to be fit."

Best thing I ever did for my core was to squat, DL and push-press heavy 2x a week.

Still, I will look at his book when the B+N gets a copy.

54ny77
01-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Ironic title.

:bike:

jmoore
01-29-2013, 09:21 PM
My copy got here today. I skimmed the medical stuff up front and looked at the exercises and workouts. It seems to be good stuff. I did the first workout and its.going to be OK. At least I don't have o put anything together as far as workout plans. And I figure anything is better than what I was doing before which was not much.

I don't care about tommy d endorsing it. It could be any cyclist. I'm happy its cycling specific .

Jack Brunk
01-29-2013, 11:08 PM
Oh,
Didn't he do PEDS?

This topic is joke right?