PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Shore group rides?

flydhest
08-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Anybody know of good group rides at the Jersey Shore near Belmar/Spring Lake? My wife's aunt has a house and we're going there for Labor Day. I have brought my bike in the past and it is a bit dull riding (flat, windy, I don't know where I am). I was thinking a group ride with locals would help. I have little interest, however, in driving to a ride, so within about a 10 or 15 mile radius (ok, not east) is what I am looking for.

Probably a long shot, but I thought I'd give it a try. I can always do intervals <<heavy sigh>>

Lewis Moon
08-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Anybody know of good group rides at the Jersey Shore near Belmar/Spring Lake? My wife's aunt has a house and we're going there for Labor Day. I have brought my bike in the past and it is a bit dull riding (flat, windy, I don't know where I am). I was thinking a group ride with locals would help. I have little interest, however, in driving to a ride, so within about a 10 or 15 mile radius (ok, not east) is what I am looking for.

Probably a long shot, but I thought I'd give it a try. I can always do intervals <<heavy sigh>>

(Place obligatory drafting Snookie coment here)

zap
08-29-2012, 09:06 AM
ha, beat me too it.

rbtmcardle
08-29-2012, 09:09 AM
I am much further south than that, I know there are a few decent clubs up in that area. You could look up the local shops and ask around.. no, south and east jersey is flat as a pancake and boring boring boring, however the wind will kick your a55. enjoy and be safe, crazy busy at the beach labor day.. though the next 6 weeks are incredible weather wise at the shore.

BumbleBeeDave
08-29-2012, 09:14 AM
. . . but thanks forthe hilarious mental image when I saw the thread title!

BBD

Lewis Moon
08-29-2012, 09:31 AM
. . . but thanks forthe hilarious mental image when I saw the thread title!

BBD

I bet the OP HATES that Snookie, et al. are the first thing that comes to mind upon hearing "Jersey Shore".

Being from Arizona, I can relate....

robin3mj
08-29-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm going to be in Mantoloking from Friday through the following weekend. No group rides but I'm in the same boat. Boring out and backs to the bottom of IBSP, into Allaire, etc.
drop me a line if you want to ride one day.

MattTuck
08-29-2012, 10:49 AM
I bet the OP HATES that Snookie, et al. are the first thing that comes to mind upon hearing "Jersey Shore".

Being from Arizona, I can relate....

I was going to ask "which exit?"

Ray
08-29-2012, 10:53 AM
We go down there a lot, although a good deal farther south, where its quite a bit more open. I used to ride out there a lot, but the riding is more than a bit dull. Its flat, often windy, the roads are mostly straight with almost nothing interesting to see. The only advantage to riding with a group might be the "I don't know where I am" part, which a GPS can solve. I've adjusted my expectations about riding at the shore and now I just bring my Brompton and ride it to the grocery store and, if we're staying more than a couple of long blocks away, to and from the beach. That type of riding works pretty well there...

-Ray

flydhest
08-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Wow, hadn't even thought of the reactions I would get. In retrospect, however, how could I not have? On the bright side, and for more cycling content, Belgian racers have brought back the mullet and at the shore, it never went away.

Robin, I'll send you a pm, maybe we can ride together.

sjauch2
08-29-2012, 10:58 AM
I sometimes ride with this club: http://www.jsts.us/

Maybe a bit too north for you but figured I'd throw it out there.

miguel
08-29-2012, 11:08 AM
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/970885_o.gif
GROUP RIDES
:banana:

katematt
08-29-2012, 01:33 PM
I live a 15 miles up north but get down there quite a bit. Two shops that may have rides in the area are Cycles 54 just west of Spring Lake and Brielle Cyclery in Brielle.

Also bag the coast and head west. Our route takes us from Seabright down Ocean Ave to Spring Lake, from there we head west on New Jersey (yes that is a road in Spring Lake) and head out toward Manasquan Reservoir, Farmingdale, Freehold area. Great riding out that way, some hills but mainly rollers. Can't really get too lost out there.

The county roads are generally pretty quiet in the morning, but I am usually off the bike by 10. As for the beach route, Labor day weekend along the shore is crowded and therefore not fun to ride through from 8 on.

Ping me if you want some more route specifics etc. It'll be hot Saturday but Sunday and Monday should be great.

And on behalf of Snooki, and all the other big names on the JS, welcome.

Hank Scorpio
08-29-2012, 02:55 PM
The two closest shops were already mentioned. There is also the peddler in long branch. About 15-20 mins north of belmar but I know they have group rides.

flydhest
08-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Dare I suggest a forum group ride early Sunday morning?

roydyates
08-29-2012, 08:48 PM
I live a 15 miles up north but get down there quite a bit. Two shops that may have rides in the area are Cycles 54 just west of Spring Lake and Brielle Cyclery in Brielle.

Also bag the coast and head west. Our route takes us from Seabright down Ocean Ave to Spring Lake, from there we head west on New Jersey (yes that is a road in Spring Lake) and head out toward Manasquan Reservoir, Farmingdale, Freehold area. Great riding out that way, some hills but mainly rollers. Can't really get too lost out there.

The county roads are generally pretty quiet in the morning, but I am usually off the bike by 10. As for the beach route, Labor day weekend along the shore is crowded and therefore not fun to ride through from 8 on.

Ping me if you want some more route specifics etc. It'll be hot Saturday but Sunday and Monday should be great.

And on behalf of Snooki, and all the other big names on the JS, welcome.

i think katematt pretty much summed up the best options. However i would say going west requires some route planning to avoid some dreadful Rt 35 or Rt 9 crossings. Also If you have time for only a short early ride, you could do worse than going out and back to the end of sandy hook.

bheight1
08-29-2012, 10:45 PM
head west on New Jersey (yes that is a road in Spring Lake) and head out toward Manasquan Reservoir, Farmingdale, Freehold area. Great riding out that way, some hills but mainly rollers. Can't really get too lost out there.

This is a good idea. Used to live down there and the shops mentioned would know of a Sunday group ride--used to leave out of Allenwood school, which is 5-7 miles away off of 18th Avenue from Belmar. If you head out either 18th Ave or 16th Ave from Belmar towards Manasquan Reservoir (CR 524 524A, Squakum Rd to West Farms to Georgia Tavern) you can cross over Rt 9 on Georgia Tavern to Eli Harmony and loop out towards Allentown, from here you will be on 524 the whole way out and come back 526--pretty straightforward if you check a map, 65-70+ miles.