PDA

View Full Version : Map My Ride???

tch
08-28-2012, 02:39 PM
I hate the free version of this website. It's slow, clogged with ads, unresponsive, doesn't save my maps, etc., etc., etc. Is it worth it to go to the pay version? Does paying solve the problems?

I feel like they've made it so painful that a consumer is driven to go to the pay site...but I'm not sure I trust the pay site to be that much better, given what I see on the free version.

Anyone?

Jawn P
08-28-2012, 02:51 PM
http://ridewithgps.com is leaps and bounds better.

christian
08-28-2012, 02:52 PM
mapmyride is unusable.

ridewithgps is great.

boxerboxer
08-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Ride With GPS guys - have you also used Strava? If so, how do the two compare?

palincss
08-28-2012, 03:28 PM
One more vote for ridewithgps.com

oldman
08-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Ride with GPS is great for sharing routes or finding new ones. Easy to download to my GPS device.

Strava is good to compare how others have done on certain segments of common routes. Cool to know you are the slowest/fastest up the local climbs or how you compare with others.

I use the free versions of both and they are more than adequate.

Lewis Moon
08-28-2012, 04:01 PM
I don't have a GPS so Map My Ride works well for me as a planning tool and as a log book.

Of course, someone could give me an Edge 500 and I'm sure I could slag on MMR just like everyone else.

christian
08-28-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't use a GPS, either. Ridewithgps is still a vastly more user-friendly mapping and cue sheet-generation tool.

n_maher
08-28-2012, 04:07 PM
I have no issues with the free version of map my ride. I've saved 30+ maps, edited old maps to improve routes, shared routes, etc. What exactly isn't working for you guys? And I use it with a Garmin 500 just fine. Sure, you have to convert the file to a crs but there are plenty of free tools to do that quickly and easily. I'll still check out the other sites mentioned so far but I'm not getting the awful impression of MMR that you guys are.

William
08-28-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm not a gps user either but it's easy to create, use, read, and download the maps my buds at ridewithgps set up.

William

bluemax
08-28-2012, 09:15 PM
I've used MMR with no real problems, have probably mapped 70 rides (no GPS). I did try RWGPS and the main difference I see is that it gives a bit larger map than MMR because you can close the tools window that always floats on the MMR map.

false_Aest
08-28-2012, 10:00 PM
W tee F are you complaining about.

Remember time before the internets when you had to write things down with a pen?

boxerboxer
08-28-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm mainly a Strava user but will run Endomondo at the same time because I can program interval workouts into it and it will call out when to start the next segment of the interval.

VulcanVillain
08-28-2012, 11:40 PM
W tee F are you complaining about.

Remember time before the internets when you had to write things down with a pen?

That.

And that said, the free MMR Android app works just fine here north of Atlanta.

biker72
08-29-2012, 06:05 AM
WOW!! Ride with GPS is a lot better...:banana:
I've gotten very frustrated with map my ride.

LesMiner
08-29-2012, 08:11 AM
You can also use Google maps which does have a bike option along with car, public transportation, and walking. Its free and basically is the same map engine as the others. It does produce turn by turn directions and you can print it out. I used it to map out a route to commute from work. It produced a route that combined roads, streets and bike paths. It avoided limited access highways and busy intersections.

I have also used Ride With GPS with great success. It adds a number of things to Google maps. The GPS upload/download, public or limited access to your maps, additional icons that can be added to your map, notes on key landmarks, etc. and more. Get the basic for $6, its worth it.

I would not recommend Map My Ride. For the money I think it is a rip off. If you have any billing issue their 800 number says they do not support billing questions or issues over the phone. You can submitt your issue to their website. I went through an issue with them and no response despite repeated trys. I have yet to get anything from them.

MattTuck
08-29-2012, 10:08 AM
I've heard that people with Macs that use Safari find Map My Ride much easier to use, because Safari cuts out all the BS advertising automatically. I'm curious if the people who think it is not a hassle are using PCs or Macs?

Ridewithgps is still better.

Lewis Moon
08-29-2012, 10:36 AM
I've heard that people with Macs that use Safari find Map My Ride much easier to use, because Safari cuts out all the BS advertising automatically. I'm curious if the people who think it is not a hassle are using PCs or Macs?

Ridewithgps is still better.

Ad filters are pretty easy to add with Chrome, too.

cachagua
08-29-2012, 10:41 AM
I briefly used Map My Ride on a Mac, running Safari. I didn't see ads, but I noticed something else kind of comical: I mapped a figure-8 which brought me past a certain point twice per lap, and the second time, this intersection was about 50 feet higher in elevation.

Checked, repeated, did it at a different scale to improve accuracy (maybe) -- same result. I thought, "How many laps do I have to ride to get to heaven?"

Haven't tried the lap in the other direction, to see if I lose elevation that way.

That was in early spring, when I cared about mileage and hills... this time of year, I don't pay any attention to it, I just ride 'til I get home.

palincss
08-29-2012, 04:19 PM
MapMyRide elevation figures are totally insane. Ask anybody who was at Bike Virginia in 2011. MapMyRide was showing ~ 2,400' of climbing for rides that everyone with GPSs were seeing as 6,000'.

As for MapMyRide annoyances, how about the sticky ad that hangs onto your mouse pointer that blocks all view of the screen? Or the fact that you can't get a cue sheet in any form that you can paste into a spreadsheet for further manipulation? It was a good program once. Then they made it annoying to force you into the premium service.

Ridewithgps is superior in every way.

ao4392
08-29-2012, 07:35 PM
I haven't had any problems with mapmyride but look forward to using ridewithgps.

n_maher
08-30-2012, 07:35 AM
I've run MMR on both old XP and Win7 machines, some running old IE and some running Chrome and Firefox and none of them have displayed adds other than the occassional one between screens. I don't get anything attached to the pointer or that would be intrusive when I try to create a map. Anyone experiencing something like that may have other issues with their machine.

I checked out ridewithgps last night and there are definitely things that I don't like. It doesn't have any of the auto-course-generation that MMR does, specifically the "out+back" or "reverse" options. I've found the "reverse" one in particular to be very useful with my Garmin. If I try to map a single path that goes out and back the Garmin often won't register the end point and therefore tells me that I'm off route the entire return trip (hugely annoying). So I've gotten in the habbit of creating two routes, one out, one back, and the reverse command makes it really easy to export these quickly by simply mapping one route, exporting it, hitting reverse and exporting again.

Anyway, they both can do the job so it's probably a pick your preference situation.