PDA

View Full Version : Longshot: suggestions on shipping a bike from France

DAG
08-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Took a look at the listing of rental bikes for sale posted here a couple weeks ago, and there's a lynskey in my size. However, the French Chronopost cost would be 250 euro.

any thoughts on how to get a bike shipped from france to here for a reasonable cost?

EricEstlund
08-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Try comparing to DHL or FedEx. If you find a freight company on this side to ship there they may also have ideas for the return.

If you are flying Air France they treat a bike like any other piece of luggage.

mvrider
08-28-2012, 02:55 PM
I was the one who posted that, so I feel some responsibility. Have you contacted the seller about shipping? In the ad, it says "contact us about shipping costs elsewhere."

The ad was sent to me by the father of a friend. Please feel free to contact him directly at paul@francebikerentals.com.

martinrjensen
08-28-2012, 08:19 PM
I have bought a couple frames from Europe (France and Germany) and the shipping price was totally reasonable. What I don't know, is if the seller was eating some of the shipping price.

oldpotatoe
08-29-2012, 08:17 AM
I have bought a couple frames from Europe (France and Germany) and the shipping price was totally reasonable. What I don't know, is if the seller was eating some of the shipping price.

In either direction, the consideration is size and weight. Frames are relatively small and light compared to a complete bicycle. The OP may see that's it's cheaper to send 2 boxes(frame/fork and wheels/group in another), than one.

yashcha
08-29-2012, 08:21 AM
I am not sure if transglobal shippers works from france or not, but they ship in bulk so their prices are reasonable. I just shipped a bike yesterday from the UK for $177 through UPS, and it will arrive tomorrow at my new apt in DC.