pdmtong
08-27-2012, 11:10 PM
A man, a plan, a canal, ...

miguel
08-27-2012, 11:23 PM
:banana:

CaptStash
08-27-2012, 11:31 PM
ummmmm...sort of high on my list of least favorite countries. But the canal is way cool if you get a chance to make a transit, and the cross panama railroad is a worthwhile field trip.

And ya gotta' love the plaindrome (as above)....

CaptStash.....

MattTuck
08-27-2012, 11:43 PM
my old next door neighbor went to retire in Panama. You can live like a millionaire there, for 20K per year, apparently.

I don't know if I buy it.

Get malaria shots.

false_Aest
08-28-2012, 12:21 AM
reach down between your legs and ease the seat back.

mah was there about a week ago. she loved it. said lots changed since the govt started taking more control of the canal. better city, up and coming.

GuyGadois
08-28-2012, 12:22 AM
Add Bug spray to your list.

I would love to go to Panama sometime. On the list.

miguel
08-28-2012, 12:30 AM
I've been to malaria countries before and actually took the drugs I shouldn't have (see: artist/moody) but everything turned out ok. I'm not sure why exactly but wief decided she wants to go there. Prob not a cycling trip but a hiking trip. Looking for any recommendations for reputable tour companies, hotels, sights, eats, etc.. To be honestly frank, I don't have a desire to go, but why not?

lhuerta
08-28-2012, 12:52 AM
Bocas del Toro ... Look it up, you won't regret it. Lou

Bob Ross
08-28-2012, 07:38 AM
~20 years ago I worked on a cruise ship (as a musician; imagine playing "Girl From Ipanema" and "New York, New York" Every. Single. Night. for three solid months!) that passed through the Panama Canal every 10 days. One of the most striking & memorable experiences I've ever had.

(Well, the first time at least.)

Definitely worth going down to the locks and watching that fantastic feat of engineering in action.

AngryScientist
08-28-2012, 07:46 AM
i was there a few times on a merchant ship. oh boy, you can get yourself in a lot of trouble (the good kind and the bad kind) down there. a fist full of dollars, some liquid courage, and a dream can go pretty far in panama.

twangston73
08-29-2012, 02:27 AM
I'd second Bocas del Toro, but would also recommend a trip to Volcan Baru, which I thought was more local than Boquete, which seems quite full of expats. We also stayed at an old radar site near the canal that is a birdwatching destination (we are not birders) but the site and jungle were fantastic, even for non birders. In Panama City you should check out Casco Viejo in general and, if you like food, a restaurant named Manolo Caracol - fantastic! Driving in Panama City is a bit mad but doable if you are heading in and out. The canal and locks are a must-see, i'd recommend at least a half transit. You will have a great time.

LJohnny
08-29-2012, 07:38 AM
If you speak Spanish or will be traveling with someone that does, your life will be greatly simplified. Taxis are dirt cheap, but haggling is part of the game. Try to visit the old town during the day, not too safe at night. Food is cheap and pretty safe. Faucet water is safe to drink. When I was there I just passed the water through a britta filter and was good to go.

LJohnny
08-29-2012, 07:42 AM
Oops, forgot to say that the Safe-to-drink water part is in Panama city. I think Bocas, bottled water may be the way to go.