PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: beds

flydhest
08-27-2012, 01:53 PM
OK, so this group is good for random crowd-sourcing of information. About to buy a new bed, in fact, likely just the box spring and mattress. How does one go about making an informed purchasing decisions on this. There are ads for places like Mattress Discounters and there are brands that I have heard of, but I didn't know if this is one product where you pay up for a name you know because it is hard to know the facts. For instance, the well-known plumber we called when out at my mother-in-law's was more than having a local, independent plumber, but when you're stuck, you don't have time to shop.

Thoughts?

The fact that people can get good advice on buying poker chips here gives me hope for finding info . . .

Louis
08-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Fly, I know we've had a mattress thread. It was either here or across the hall. Do a search and see what comes up.

PQJ
08-27-2012, 02:05 PM
After spending a good deal of $$ on supposedly better (read: more expensive) brands but still waking up every day with backache, we decided to go with something less expensive, which has worked out great. Mattresses are obviously very personal and the choices and name tweaks used by the retailers make it confoundingly difficult to choose and compare. I'd suggest buying from a place that will allow you to sleep on it for a few weeks/months and then return it if you don't like it. Macy's did this for us.

mbakes
08-27-2012, 02:10 PM
My wife and I love our Tempupedic. If I was doing it all over again, I would go with one of the discount brands, like Bed in a Box. I bought one for my daughter this summer and she loves it. My son picked up another foam brand off Overstock and he likes his as well. I know Bed in a Box gives you 90 days to try it out. I think they require you keep it 60 days. From what I have read, they donate the beds locally because shipping back is not an option. They are literally delivered to you in a box, you open it up, set it up, cut the plastic covering and it comes back to it's normal size.

Steve in SLO
08-27-2012, 02:15 PM
10 years ago, we bought a Sensa memory foam mattress set with 4" of memory over 6' open cell base. It is a cheaper version of Tempupedic.
It is the best money we have spent on anything.

christian
08-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Hästens. Just think of it like a Zanconato that you get to ride for 7.5 hours per day.

zap
08-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Thread was here some years ago.

Spring mattresses are dead.

We purchased a sleep number for our bedroom that's pretty nice then for guest bedroom number two we purchased a memory foam mattress set from Sam's Club.

We like both and will never go back to anything with a spring.

If you need one tomorrow, Ikea also sells memory foam so if you want to load up the vdub in college park............

dave thompson
08-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Buy a less expensive box spring/mattress and a high quality 3~4" memory foam topper. Works better than expensive conventional mattress and will pencil out cheaper than 99% of everything else.

malcolm
08-27-2012, 03:06 PM
We are about two years into a off brand temprapedic and love it so far

echelon_john
08-27-2012, 03:08 PM
I'll see your Hästens and raise you a Beckley!

Bespoke is where it's at, man.

I've never slept on a better mattress, anywhere.

http://www.chbeckley.com/

MattTuck
08-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Nothing to add, but a few points in more condensed format.

1. Get it from somewhere that has a 30+ day return policy, so you can actually see if you like it. Don't be afraid to return it if it doesn't work.

2. Memory foam can be VERY hot if you are a warm sleeper. When I was on memory foam, I would wake up drenched in sweat a handful of times a month.

christian
08-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks John. My wife and I are looking for a new bed. We'll check those out, too.

mbakes
08-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Nothing to add, but a few points in more condensed format.

1. Get it from somewhere that has a 30+ day return policy, so you can actually see if you like it. Don't be afraid to return it if it doesn't work.

2. Memory foam can be VERY hot if you are a warm sleeper. When I was on memory foam, I would wake up drenched in sweat a handful of times a month.

We have the heat issue from time to time but never woke up drenched. Bed in a Box now offers gel infusion for an extra $100 which is supposed to keep the beds cool.

Lewis Moon
08-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Buy a less expensive box spring/mattress and a high quality 3~4" memory foam topper. Works better than expensive conventional mattress and will pencil out cheaper than 99% of everything else.

This. Or just put the foam topper on the old mattress. We did this as a stopgap until we could afford a better one. That was five years ago and I wake every morning refreshed. Funny how the new mattress became a less urgent need.

DfCas
08-27-2012, 03:34 PM
I bought a queen size foam mattress made by Sleep innonations from Amazon. It was vacuum packed into a really small box and when you open it, it expnads like a rubber raft. I got the high end one for 7-800, 12 inches thick triple layer foam.

Also, I didn't want or need a box spring. I got a sleep master frame that allows storage underneath and accepts a head or footboard. I like it much better than a box spring and its easy to move.

buldogge
08-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Latex mattress on a platform, all the way. Choose your density and type. They have removable covers, and can be "customized" by changing layers/sections.

These guys have a good selection and good service:

http://www.thecleanbedroom.com/

I have a king set with 3 layers (2 split, dual density) and our son has a twin...both are Savvy Rest...FWIW.

-Mark in St. Louis

pdmtong
08-27-2012, 03:39 PM
tempurpedic +1

the vacuum packed foam mattresses from costco etc. IMHO dont "expand" evenly and there is always a crease.

yngpunk
08-27-2012, 03:48 PM
www.sleeplikethedead.com

Some useful information and reviews

roguedog
08-27-2012, 03:52 PM
@ John and Christian: Gotta prop the local folks.. McRoskey's :) http://www.mcroskey.com/

Interesting the number of folks on foam. I, too, caution about being too hot if you're a warm sleeper. Not sure they'd work for me.

Not in the market for a new bed but likely coming up soon. McRoskey's is on my radar when I am. Have read nothing but great reviews about them.

jmoore
08-27-2012, 03:54 PM
I just performed mattress surgery on our very expensive pillow top. The crappy foam was marked with my body shape after a year. I bought a "cool memory foam" topper from Overstock and replaced the worn out foam on the bed. It cost me $230 and now I'm sleeping good again. It was certainly better than buying a new mattress for $2000 or whatever it cost.

The site I got the surgery instructions from had a DIY latex mattress sub-forum that was interested. They were saying you could build your own for $1000-1200 that would rival any latex mattress out there.]

Here is the forum. http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/

Louis
08-27-2012, 04:05 PM

I heard this also, and decided to stay away from them. Some folks have said that in order to be comfortable they've had to set the thermostat much lower in the summer.

Hank Scorpio
08-27-2012, 04:15 PM
I bought a Sealy Springfree latex a couple of years ago and it definitely sleeps hot. It also has a slight body impression although it doesnt bother me much. I probably wouldn't buy one again.

54ny77
08-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Tempurpedic.

Without it, I'd be a grumpy old man.

Now get off my lawn!

http://somofos.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/gran3.jpeg

cnighbor1
08-27-2012, 04:45 PM
When our water mattress gave out we went to foam mattress
The water bed was inside a matress frame. which allowed us to replace with foam were the other mattress was. So went to a foam store and got, a. thick foam mattress and not memory foam b. than we got a top layer of memory foam 1 1/2" thick this is the foam that is so expensive if entire foam mattress is memory foam works great
You need to consider if bedroom is cool at nite foam can be hot if room gets hot
sleep train sells at a lower price a close to memory foam mattress
Charles

bcm119
08-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Hopefully I won't get skewered for this suggestion in light of my location, but I would go with a mattress that uses "natural" materials. You spend a lot of your life sleeping in your bed, and I like the idea of sleeping on something made of organic cotton and wool rather than some petroleum product. There are practical reason for this too; wool regulates your temperature far better than foam. I'm a hot sleeper and have had the night sweat experiences mentioned above when sleeping on memory foam. It just doesn't let your body breathe at all. There are stores/brands specializing in natural material mattresses; give them a look.

esldude
08-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Very fringe, but you might consider a Mayan sleeping hammock. Takes up a lot of room, when in use, but can be pulled down. Very inexpensive, maybe the opposite problem of memory foam in you might get cool in cooler times of the year. Unique and very satisfying sleeping experience.

You end up sleeping at an angle across the hammock, but the result is you naturally get a flat, level and very balanced support at all parts of your body. Definitely a good nights sleep on those. Just google Mayan sleeping hammocks.

Louis
08-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Very fringe, but you might consider a Mayan sleeping hammock.

What would the cats say?

rugbysecondrow
08-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Very fringe, but you might consider a Mayan sleeping hammock. Takes up a lot of room, when in use, but can be pulled down. Very inexpensive, maybe the opposite problem of memory foam in you might get cool in cooler times of the year. Unique and very satisfying sleeping experience.

You end up sleeping at an angle across the hammock, but the result is you naturally get a flat, level and very balanced support at all parts of your body. Definitely a good nights sleep on those. Just google Mayan sleeping hammocks.

I used to have one for camping, great naps but I am not certain I could sleep in one for over night rest. Plus, where to do my "recreating"? :banana:

Louis
08-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Plus, where to do my "recreating"? :banana:

Let your imagination run wild...

MattTuck
08-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Off gassing was a problem for my parents when they bought a temperpedic. Took 2 weeks to air it out before they couldn't detect fumes.

559Rando
08-27-2012, 06:23 PM
In southern California, we have a place called Custom Comfort that makes mattresses the old time-y way, which is something I always gravitate towards (old-timiness, not just beds). I have one it's wonderfully constructed and wasn't much more than a Sealy, Serta, etc.

I remember hearing years ago (and not sure if its still true) that the same mattress gets a different model name at different retailers, making comparison shopping difficult or impossible!

I'm actually intrigued by the cheap stuff, like the cheap memory foams or the natural latex mattress from Ikea.

Fixed
08-27-2012, 06:40 PM
I don't sleep
Cheers :)

eddief
08-27-2012, 07:13 PM
used to have an organic girlfriend. she made me do research on things that she thought would not kill you while sleeping. she ended up being full of crap, but i liked the idea of a bed made out of rubber from a tree.

found an 8" natural latex mattress in a zippered cover. put it on top of platform. all is good. when i did the research, these guys seemed fair and had good customer services:

http://www.sleepez.com/

Latex mattress on a platform, all the way. Choose your density and type. They have removable covers, and can be "customized" by changing layers/sections.

These guys have a good selection and good service:

http://www.thecleanbedroom.com/

I have a king set with 3 layers (2 split, dual density) and our son has a twin...both are Savvy Rest...FWIW.

-Mark in St. Louis

maxdog
08-27-2012, 07:54 PM
A feather bed is nice.

kayten
08-27-2012, 08:28 PM
A good mattress is as good as buying a nice custom bike. You will not regret it. I sleep on a Getha Firm natural rubber mattress with a plush top. A good night's sleep ensures a good ride the following day.

Ken Robb
08-27-2012, 08:36 PM
I remember hearing years ago (and not sure if its still true) that the same mattress gets a different model name at different retailers, making comparison shopping difficult or impossible!

This is usually true. You can try to compare coil counts, pad thickness/material but the makers put different labels on similar mattresses for different retailers so cross shopping is very difficult. The markup in "regular" prices for mattresses is enormous. Does any one know anybody who paid "regular retail" for a mattress? :confused:

rbtmcardle
08-27-2012, 08:48 PM
I am looking at a select comfort, I just want a hard but comfortable bed.. Can't deal with pillow tops or cushy foam. Anyone have experience with these?

I am a hot sleeper, especially after a glass or three of scotch!

gavingould
08-27-2012, 08:51 PM
I have Ikea's high-end natural latex foam mattress. Been good sleepin' for a couple years so far. Does hold in heat a bit - nice in the winter, but in the summer I end up outside the sheets most of the night.
Cost about $800, 25 year warranty or something.

esldude
08-27-2012, 08:56 PM
I used to have one for camping, great naps but I am not certain I could sleep in one for over night rest. Plus, where to do my "recreating"? :banana:

Actually, there is an online guide just for such 'recreating' and the use of Mayan hammocks. Might work out much better than you think.

Also, most camping hammocks aren't quite like a Mayan hammock. Those tend to be longer and wider. You aren't trapped into mostly one position by any means.

FierteTi52
08-27-2012, 08:57 PM
I am looking at a select comfort, I just want a hard but comfortable bed.. Can't deal with pillow tops or cushy foam. Anyone have experience with these?

+100 on the Select Comfort. My wife and I couldn't agree on a mattress firmness and bought a Select Comfort. Yes it's an overpriced air mattress, but we love it, never had a problem, can dial in our own firmness, and fine tune as needed.

MattTuck
08-27-2012, 09:10 PM

Google select comfort and mold.

When I looked at them several years ago, that was a slight concern I had. Not sure if it's been resolved, or if it was environmental related and not related to the mattress design.

Fixed
08-27-2012, 09:22 PM
I have Ikea's high-end natural latex foam mattress. Been good sleepin' for a couple years so far. Does hold in heat a bit - nice in the winter, but in the summer I end up outside the sheets most of the night.
Cost about $800, 25 year warranty or something.

We got one for my sons apartment ,he likes it
Cheers :)

Toddtwenty2
08-28-2012, 12:01 AM
I got a $400 Coercion memory foam mattress delivered a year ago. I love it dearly, and I am a happier, more well-rested person for it. If you are a hot sleeper, Seers makes a memory foam mattress that disperses your body heat much better. The premium wasn't worth it to me.

jlwdm
08-28-2012, 06:18 AM
We bought a really expensive mattress and returned it right away. Bought a Costco mattress and it has been marvelous.

Jeff

djg
08-28-2012, 07:08 AM

We have one, and we've liked it. Not sure what to say, other than that we find it comfortable, and it's held up pretty well, and I like the ability to have different pressure on different sides of the bed. We did have a problem with one of the two mattress bladders after a few years or so, but the warranty worked fine and it was a low cost replacement.

Back to the OP: What others have said about the usual suspects -- not a model of transparency, at all, although you can compare basic structural features within brands, across stores, as well as across brands. The labeling thing is aggravating, and it's hard to shop for mattresses without feeling like it's a bit of a racket. OTOH, maybe it's not too hard to do a bit of plodding, identify some basic features you like, a degree of firmness that seems about right, and find something satisfactory and within budget from a name brand.

Bob Ross
08-28-2012, 07:31 AM
We've had one of those molto expensivo European/Tempurpedic/Memory Foam thingies for ~4 years now.

I hate it.

But the missus loves it, and she had to suffer for 10 years on the mattress I liked & she hated, so I guess this is fair.

We tried a Sleep Number bed for a week or so. Drove the missus bat**** crazy, she couldn't ever find a number that she was comfortable on. I was pretty indifferent to the comfort issue (digression: this is probably why I am relatively unaware of gross changes to my bike fit, whereas she earned the name "Mrs. Millimeter" from Paul Levine) but I was so underwhelmed by the construction quality that I was happy to send it back.

My favorite mattress (the one she hated) was a Sealy innerspring + box spring...I forget the model, it was not a Posturepedic. Each coil spring was individually wrapped in a fabric cylinder and "floated" inside the mattress rather than being hardwired in place, and it had a very firm, thick border around the perimeter that gave the thing incredible resiliancy. You could hammer nails on that border.

You could also sit on the edge of the bed to put your shoes on, something I find frustratingly awkward to do on this stupid Memory Foam thing we've got now.

Anyhow, that Sealy was da bomb. Very firm, which I suspect is what Ms. Thing detested about it. Sigh...

zap
08-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Here is a fairly decent site for reviews.

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/bed-mattress-review-home.html

tch
08-28-2012, 08:59 AM
...is like choosing a bike saddle for a stranger you don't know and can't even see.
And...it REALLY works over the internet.
:banana: