PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a Carbon Steerer tube.

xodus
08-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Is a Diamond hack saw blade the best cutting tool to cut a carbon steerer tube? Do I need to worry about the carbon splitting?

sailorboy
08-27-2012, 11:24 AM
I use a dremel tool with a cutting disk and use old aluminum spacers as a guide just under where I want to make the cut. It isn't always the prettiest cut but it seems to work fine and I think the high speed of it mitigates the chance of it splitting or anything like that. No idea if that's recommended or what, but haven't had any failures with my forks.

Dave B
08-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Every carbon tube I have ever cut I did the following:

wrap a layer, maybe two of masking tape around the area you want to cut.

Use a cutting guide (I had the Park one) and use any hacksaw blade, I always used a new one. Lightly go back and forth, don't push really hard into the cut. Just enough pressure.

Never had a problem when I did this.

Rada
08-27-2012, 11:44 AM
+1 on the dremel.

ultraman6970
08-27-2012, 11:56 AM
+1 in the dremel and in "wrap a layer, maybe two of masking tape around the area you want to cut"

I never used a regula hacksaw with carbon, no idea if a diamond tipped one will work as good as a dremel.

Just in case, use glasses and a mask, because you will get some carbon dust going everywhere.

Birddog
08-27-2012, 12:15 PM
I haven't tried one on a steer tube, but any one of those vibrating multi tools with a fine blade ought to work just fine. The semi-circular one would probably be best. Absent that, a 32TPI hacksaw will do the job too. Cutting guides are helpful but not nec.

vqdriver
08-27-2012, 12:25 PM
cutting guide will give you a nice square cut with minimal filing afterwards.
a 32tpi hacksaw works great.

StephenCL
08-27-2012, 12:34 PM
+1 on masking tape. Its is your best protection against split ends :). In terms of cutting tools, I use a mitre saw and a fine tooth blade designed for trim carpentry. Makes the cut super smooth.

After I file off any of the edges I like to seal the top edge with clear nailpolish to ensure that I don't have any potential for the carbon splitting.

Good luck!

Stephen

victoryfactory
08-27-2012, 12:40 PM
glad you mentioned filing.
it is important to chamfer the cut edge to allow easy
installation of spacers and stem without snags or chips.
I also use the Park cutting guide and a regular hack saw
as above but be careful near the bottom of the cut.
Don't be impatient, it goes slower at the end. Ease up
to avoid splinters
VF

Chance
08-27-2012, 12:47 PM
If you don't have a guide, common hose clamps on either side of blade (set the blade’s thickness apart) will provide a nice square cut and also prevent edges of carbon from fraying. Seems to support cut edges better than tape. Have used a hacksaw blade made for ceramic per fork manufacturer’s recommendation. Also recommend that if you have extra steerer length to practice on that. Make an additional cut at end just to make sure you can get it right.

nicrump
08-27-2012, 01:01 PM
i use a wet tile saw(diamond blade) and is still going strong after a good 4,000 cuts on various carbon tubes.

false_Aest
08-27-2012, 02:06 PM
don't listen to nick.... he doesn't know ANYTHING about bikes or nothin.

:):)

nicrump
08-27-2012, 02:18 PM
and cause i just may aim to maim!!
don't listen to nick.... he doesn't know ANYTHING about bikes or nothin.

:):)

Dave
08-27-2012, 04:43 PM
I just scribe a mark at the top of the stem and cut along the line, either a little above or below depending on whether I want a spacer on top, or not. I use an ordinary 32 or 24 tpi hacksaw blade. If you make a shallow cut around the OD first, then cut deeper, you never have a problem with splintering.

I believe that the OP is thinking of a carbide grit saw blade, not a diamond blade. It's OK , but not necessary.

guyintense
08-27-2012, 05:04 PM
So you wouldn't use one of these?

fjaws
08-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Park makes a hacksaw blade specifically for Carbon. Looks a bit like course sandpaper grit glued to a blade but works very well.

Not saying it's the BEST,but it is purpose built.

Dave
08-27-2012, 06:25 PM
So you wouldn't use one of these?

Ok for metal steering tubes only. It's guaranteed to damage a carbon steering tube.

Bob Loblaw
08-28-2012, 08:18 AM
I use a standard hacksaw blade (actually intended for cutting metal), Park guide, and duct tape. I have done 3-4 that way and never had a problem.

Using a file to clean up the edges helps ease installation of the plug and stem and (maybe) prevents later fraying.

BL

rockdude
08-28-2012, 08:21 AM
I have cut a dozen or so with my mitter saw with a finishing blade, all turned out perfect.

Vinci
08-28-2012, 09:28 AM
My standard is a 32TPI hacksaw blade and an old stem as a guide. Just mark your cut, slide the stem in place, bolt it down, and cut away. You'll scratch up the stem pretty well, but that's why you're using a junk stem.

wallymann
08-28-2012, 11:28 AM
you can also just use a spare spacer as a cutting guide. put it where you want the cut and use electrical-tape to secure it in place. works great for accurately cutting steel or al or carbon steerers.

i also just use a normal fine-tooth hacksaw blade for all materials and just take my time, then finish up with a file to neaten/clean the cut as needed.

special guides and blades can definitely make it easier, but are not necessary.

If you don't have a guide, common hose clamps on either side of blade (set the blade’s thickness apart) will provide a nice square cut and also prevent edges of carbon from fraying. Seems to support cut edges better than tape. Have used a hacksaw blade made for ceramic per fork manufacturer’s recommendation. Also recommend that if you have extra steerer length to practice on that. Make an additional cut at end just to make sure you can get it right.