PDA

View Full Version : cross bikes freekin rule!

AngryScientist
08-26-2012, 06:03 PM
road closed?? ha!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Q9w-DkjIFlw/UDqbwO4YJII/AAAAAAAAAq8/HbrbQ8YEMUI/s640/IMG_0944.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ITsjnkG40Bs/UDqbYB4lQXI/AAAAAAAAAqM/lsZZE1LgI6M/s640/IMG_0934.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ou1h2zOcCa0/UDqbTBHjvBI/AAAAAAAAAqE/ajaKIeNlyM8/s640/IMG_0931.JPG

Aaron_Kellogg
08-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Yes they do!!!

oliver1850
08-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Nice road. I regretted my decision not to take the knobbies to an unknown area last week. Missed out on the opportunity to ride some cool looking gravel roads.

Pandergosk
08-27-2012, 12:40 AM
I want one pretty bad now.

54ny77
08-27-2012, 01:14 AM
I know zero about cyclocross bike geo.

Component aspects aside, is it basically road geo with fat tire clearance?

What's the typical characteristic or secret sauce that makes for a good sturdy frame design?

Assuming I'm not looking to race cyclocross (no desire or time to), what's the value of having a cross-specific design to go ride on rough roads and so forth, assuming there's regular road to ride on before getting there?

BumbleBeeDave
08-27-2012, 05:16 AM
. . . is typically a bit more upright resulting in a higher bottom bracket.

BBD

Lewis Moon
08-27-2012, 08:01 AM
As a kid and then again in my mid/late 30s I raced on the road. I have always loved the fast, skinny feel of a nice road bike. When I chucked the RB in favor of an MB, I found myself gravitating to hammering on fire roads rather than doing technical trails. People have even remarked that my MB is set up more like an RB.
Crap....there goes the bank account....

FlashUNC
08-27-2012, 08:10 AM

BBD

This.

My Redline has a higher BB than any of my road bikes. Changes the feel a bit at higher speeds, but the clearance is nice on the rough stuff.

pcraigs
08-27-2012, 08:19 AM
man my next bike is definitely going to be a cross!

MattTuck
08-27-2012, 08:19 AM
I would have liked to have a cross bike on Saturday. A little more than 20 miles of crappy new england dirt roads. Not the nice smooth kind either.

AngryScientist
08-27-2012, 08:20 AM
i have my cross bike set-up with the contact points in the same place as on my road bikes. this results in a little less saddle-to-bar drop on this particular bike, and definitely has a bit higher bottom bracket. the one place i do notice the difference is climbing, when i really want to have my cg as low to the ground as possible. it's just a bit different.

this bike is really a hoot to ride over some of the rockier stuff. rides pretty well on-road too.

AngryScientist
08-27-2012, 08:22 AM
i cant say enough good things about the vittoria cross xn's either. great on road and dirt road tire. obviously not a mud tire, but excels in the dry packed stuff. really lets you "float" over imperfect surfaces.

http://static.lfgss.com/attachments/44246d1316872868-vittoria-cross-xn-pro-med.jpg

MattTuck
08-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Nick, what size tire do you run? what kind of pressure?

AngryScientist
08-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Nick, what size tire do you run? what kind of pressure?

the tires on that bike are 32's, run at about 75#

Ti Designs
08-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Nice road. I regretted my decision not to take the knobbies to an unknown area last week. Missed out on the opportunity to ride some cool looking gravel roads.

Where I live, the roads are far worse than most trails. I did the D2R2 on my Serotta, the whole time I was thinking "this is way better than Trapelo road".

Gummee
08-27-2012, 09:15 AM
the tires on that bike are 32's, run at about 75#

I thought I was running pretty high pressure Sat at the Devil's Backbone ride when I had 50/50 in my tubulars!

Next time I do that ride: semi-slick tires and a bigger cassette! Them's some big-arsed and STEEP-arsed hills!

M

Mr Cabletwitch
08-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Yes they do....

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/545789_3493162720075_816031787_n.jpg

mtb_frk
08-27-2012, 09:43 AM
I am fat and run my clinchers around 40psi max for any kind of dirt road/trail riding. I usually run my tubulars under 30psi for races.

mbakes
08-27-2012, 09:43 AM
I am so tempted to pick up a cross bike. We have miles of trails on levees throughout the South Florida Water Management District that people are starting to ride. I can ride about 12 miles on the road and then continue on the levees.

djg
08-27-2012, 11:46 AM

BBD

Yeah, this, but to the OP, the particulars vary a bit from builder to builder. BB drop tends to be less than on a typical road bike (which means the bb sits higher off the ground), but how much varies a bit, as does whether or to what extent the TT on a bike of a given size might be a bit shorter than on a road bike. The OP might look at, say, published geo charts from Ridley, Mike DeSalvo (who publishes stock geometry charts, in addition to doing made-to-measure/custom), and, say Gunnar (whose cross bike might be a sort of approach to an "all 'rounder") to have a look at some comonalities and differences. Whether one of these suits you as an all 'rounder is partly a matter of the builder's approach to cross bikes and partly a matter of what any given rider is looking for in an all 'rounder. For stock models, you may be able to check something out and take it for a spin. For custom or made-to-measure (or simply hard to find), maybe talk to the builder about his or her approach and what it is you are looking for, and, of course, others may have experiences to share.

Steve in SLO
08-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Folks here know I dig mine:

nighthawk
08-27-2012, 12:07 PM
i cant say enough good things about the vittoria cross xn's either. great on road and dirt road tire.

I was thinking about those for my dirt road bike when the Schwalbe marathons give up. Per your good experience with them, I think I'll definitely give them a shot.

Gummee
08-27-2012, 01:22 PM
<snip>, and, say Gunnar (whose cross bike might be a sort of approach to an "all 'rounder") to have a look at some comonalities and differences. Whether one of these suits you as an all 'rounder is partly a matter of the builder's approach to cross bikes and partly a matter of what any given rider is looking for in an all 'rounder. <snip>

I have a Crosshairs. Its a great all-rounder and an OK race bike. Rack mounts, 2 bottle cage mounts, etc.

I've taken it further off-road than I had any business taking it. I've raced it in cross races. I've ridden it on long-ish road rides. If you want a bomb-around-all-day bike, its a good choice. If you want a race bike, there's better options.

HTH

M

christian
08-27-2012, 01:24 PM
You mean "all-rounders freekin' rule." Since I definitely see bottle bosses.

Hey, come on, I bought Terry's Zank. You have to let me, just this once. I won't feel quite as smug when I have to resort to electrical tape and inner tubes at D2R2 next year.

54ny77
08-27-2012, 01:32 PM
what does that mean (or do), from a practical perspective? are we talking about an inch or two higher for ground clearance?

that'd have to be some pretty deep-rutted bumpy stuff if you're going to slam the chainrings (or pedals) into something.

but that's probably the point i guess (to be high enough to clear obstacles).

pardon the dumb questions. i don't know what i don't know in this regard.

(christian: you'll have to point out some good hardpack roads for me in your neck of woods. i've come across a few good ones in the n. salem area. ever climb up hunt lane? i went down a little too quick initially one day (since i was bleary-eyed from going up keeler), which was unexpectedly entertaining...)

BBD

binxnyrwarrsoul
08-27-2012, 01:35 PM
+1 billion. Especially Binx CXs. My current CX project, needs some tape and some mud :cool:!!

eippo1
08-27-2012, 02:03 PM
what does that mean (or do), from a practical perspective? are we talking about an inch or two higher for ground clearance?

that'd have to be some pretty deep-rutted bumpy stuff if you're going to slam the chainrings (or pedals) into something.

but that's probably the point i guess (to be high enough to clear obstacles).

Yah, mostly that. I still managed to tag a rock pretty hard in the middle of a race and had to have a mechanic bend the chainrings back before the next race so that I could use the big ring again.

christian
08-27-2012, 02:10 PM
(christian: you'll have to point out some good hardpack roads for me in your neck of woods. i've come across a few good ones in the n. salem area. ever climb up hunt lane? i went down a little too quick initially one day (since i was bleary-eyed from going up keeler), which was unexpectedly entertaining...)

Hunt is fun. Keeler is fun too. I suspect you know about Tinker, up in Mahopac. That's tarmac, but definintely an eye-crosser in terms of climbing effort.

Gravel roads in northern Westchester that I ride almost every weekend:

New Castle: Croton Dam Road, Aqueduct Road
Mt. Kisco: Guard Hill, Succabone, The Narrows, Bisbee,
Armonk: Byram Lake Road, Fox Lane
Bedford: Hook Road
Katonah: Croton Lake Road, Maple Ave, Upper Hook Road
Golden's Bridge: Todd Road, Nash Road, Mt. Holly Rd, Mt. Holly Road East
Pound Ridge: Honey Hollow
Waccabuc/Purdys: Bogtown, Mills, Cat Ridge, Turkey Ridge (forget which of these are dirt - they are all very pretty).

Oh, and there's the notorious hiking trail in Mtn Lakes Camp. Hike-a-bike.

That and ridewithgps ought to keep you busy for a few days.

christian
08-27-2012, 02:17 PM
If you stitch them _all_ together in less than 60 miles, with a single start and finish point and no out-and-backs, I'll send you a gift!

spiderman
08-27-2012, 02:56 PM
...got mine out last night, too..

NHAero
08-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Hilarious and true! Thanks
Where I live, the roads are far worse than most trails. I did the D2R2 on my Serotta, the whole time I was thinking "this is way better than Trapelo road".

pavel
08-27-2012, 04:13 PM
I have a Crosshairs. Its a great all-rounder and an OK race bike. Rack mounts, 2 bottle cage mounts, etc.

I've taken it further off-road than I had any business taking it. I've raced it in cross races. I've ridden it on long-ish road rides. If you want a bomb-around-all-day bike, its a good choice. If you want a race bike, there's better options.

HTH

M

:D

my 'new to me' crosshairs thanks to forum member Michael Scholten.

yesterday evening - top of fremont older, before a descent into stevens canyon...
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-jAO34_sMyAY/UDrDssdYgmI/AAAAAAAACJw/mPZdsxRWZSI/s640/1346027713472.jpg

up to the top of montebello road...
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-PswG37zvBso/UDrieiHrqTI/AAAAAAAACLA/D5ENdUDb8xk/s640/IMG_20120826_190651.jpg

Pacific ocean fog beyond the santa cruz mountains, before a descent to page mill road into Palo Alto:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-SAMAqPsD_Kk/UDrWYUOLvcI/AAAAAAAACKQ/Olt8vQtzMco/s640/IMG_20120826_190707.jpg

DHallerman
08-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Hunt is fun. Keeler is fun too. I suspect you know about Tinker, up in Mahopac. That's tarmac, but definintely an eye-crosser in terms of climbing effort.

Waccabuc/Purdys: Bogtown, Mills, Cat Ridge, Turkey Ridge (forget which of these are dirt - they are all very pretty).

Well, that list nudges me to NOT sell my Crosshairs.

I knew many of these roads, but not all.

Dave, who says the only one in your Waccabuc/Purdys list that is gravel is Turkey Ridge and the well-loved Honey Hollow is also paved its entire length but they are certainly all quite lovely to ride

54ny77
08-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks!

I've done all the ones you mentioned other than those in Armonk, New Castle & Mt. Kisco (although I think I've done Guard Hill but not sure).

I'll check out Mahopac and others this fall. Thanks for the tip. :cool:

Oh, and there's the notorious hiking trail in Mtn Lakes Camp. Hike-a-bike.

That and ridewithgps ought to keep you busy for a few days.

Tandem Rider
08-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Yes they do rule, especially this time of year. Got it out and washed last years dirt off of it Saturday. Getting ready to hang up the road bike for the season, only a few more races left and then it's time for gravels, b roads and trails. Whole 'nother set of dogs, hills, and scenery. Got mine set up to almost match the road bike. Bars are 1 cm higher and closer to the seat, makes it easier with winter clothes and winter fat. Ditched the old 46t ring put on a 53 makes it a lot more like the road bike. Still got a 39 for climbing so no problem. Pics when the gravel dust starts to fly.

christian
08-27-2012, 09:12 PM
David - Pound Ridge - is it Schoolhouse that's dirt then? One of those roads on the SE corner of the reservation is definitely dirt for 3/4 of a mile or so.

In New Castle, I also forgot Old Roaring Brook from Roaring Brook to Rt 133. More than 40% dirt for that stretch.

roguedog
08-27-2012, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=pavel;1194636]:D

my 'new to me' crosshairs thanks to forum member Michael Scholten.

yesterday evening - top of fremont older, before a descent into stevens canyon...
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-jAO34_sMyAY/UDrDssdYgmI/AAAAAAAACJw/mPZdsxRWZSI/s640/1346027713472.jpg

Hey .. that bike looks familiar. Were you on that trail last Thurs evening as well? If so I think I saw ya just as you were heading up the trail head.

Gummee
08-27-2012, 10:42 PM
My Crosshairs was evidently built in April of 04. Its a nifty metallic green. I'm gonna guess it was the color of the month in April of that year cause I haven't seen any others.

:thumb

Guy I bought it from got an Ouzo Pro cross fork. Great for JRA but flexy when you really need to hammer on the brakes. One of these days I'll get something different.

M

djg
08-28-2012, 07:21 AM
Tom says the frame should get here today

UPS says the frame should get here today

Made a darn parts checklist and a build checklist. One wheelset is ready to go, with two more on deck. Actually started a fake build last night -- put the saddle on the post and then put that away. Put the levers and the stem on the bars and put that whole thing away. Couldn't think of anything else to do to get ready.

Not staying late at work today. Not gonna happen.

DHallerman
08-28-2012, 07:27 AM
David - Pound Ridge - is it Schoolhouse that's dirt then? One of those roads on the SE corner of the reservation is definitely dirt for 3/4 of a mile or so.

In New Castle, I also forgot Old Roaring Brook from Roaring Brook to Rt 133. More than 40% dirt for that stretch.

Yes, Schoolhouse Rd. is a dirty one.

Often I'm amazed how Westchester, a suburban county that borders NYC, has so many dirt roads and other "rural" like environs...at least in the northern parts.

Contrast to Nassau County or Bergen County, two other suburban counties that also border NYC...all built up, just like you'd expect in the largest metro area in the US of A.

pavel
08-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Hey .. that bike looks familiar. Were you on that trail last Thurs evening as well? If so I think I saw ya just as you were heading up the trail head.

Coming up the trail, just out of the prospect road parking lot? I recall saying hi to someone and then ogling the hell out of their bike. Was that you?

roguedog
08-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Naw that wasn't me. I was posing as a hiker that day. Met a friend who wanted to hike.

I did totally oogle your bike to see what it was though just as you were heading up the trail. Didn't know that road was back there. Was totally jealous of all the folks out riding as I was driving up but man, that road narrows a lot. Not sure I'd do it on a bike with those turns... Really pretty out there though.

Btw, you guys stop it. You have me thinking bout a cross bike..

William
08-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Cross bikes are great for dirt! Now that's my kind of road!!!:cool:

William

AngryScientist
08-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Btw, you guys stop it. You have me thinking bout a cross bike..

do it, you wont regret it. :)

Mr Cabletwitch
08-29-2012, 11:02 AM
do it, you wont regret it. :)

while my other bikes are task specific I love my cross bike for the fact that its not. I've ridden it on technical singletrack, rail trails, roads, fire roads, gravel roads, not to mention I use it as my commuter. While my bike isn't a race type cross bike I'll even use it for the occasional cross race.

Its one bike I've never regretted building.

FlashUNC
08-29-2012, 11:32 AM
My only regret with my Redline -- and I couldn't have predicted this when I bought it -- is that it won't handle disc brakes. Never figured at the time I got it I'd want to convert to discs at some point.

But getting a decent pair of cantis on there changed it overnight from the horrid stock brakes it had.

RFC
08-29-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm primarily a road cyclist, but have developed a real affinity for gravel grinding.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_00072r.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/SRPCanel34r.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0105r.jpg

spiderman
08-29-2012, 01:32 PM
after i separated the ht/tt doing some rough riding
while i was recovering from my surgery...
clydesdale and i have yet to get our crossers out
at the same time on the same day
but i think we're closing in on a plan.
the winter is just a bonus shot for you...

GRAVELBIKE
08-29-2012, 02:03 PM
This is always a good sign:

http://www.cksinfo.com/clipart/traffic/roadsigns/warnings/pavement-ends-large.png

djg
09-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Just built and ready to roll.

cuwinbs
09-01-2012, 05:05 PM
heres mine ready for cx season!
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt278/cuwinbs/IMG_7968.jpg

AngryScientist
09-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Just built and ready to roll.
wow that's sweet. what size is it??

Matt-H
09-01-2012, 05:18 PM
woah, that ti Spectrum is hot...

djg
09-01-2012, 07:34 PM
wow that's sweet. what size is it??

I dunno exactly -- the size Tom figured would fit me? "Virtual" TT seems to be about 54 cm, maybe very slightly under. My road bike is a 54, with a 54.5 tt -- this looks slightly shorter on the tt, but not that much, longer chain stays, obviously.

Thanks to all for the nice words. Props belong to TK, who designed the bike from tip to tail, and painted it as well.

Aaron_Kellogg
09-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Just finished my new build last week and it is sweet! Training series start in two weeks and then season kicks off in less than two months. Could not be more excited!

christian
09-25-2012, 08:36 AM
I saw one of those Cruxes at Westwood Velo CX last weekend. Holy crap that yellow is bright.

Here's my cx ride: fillet-brazed Zanconato with an Alpha Q CX20, Campagnolo/Paul/Shimano/Mavic/3TT/Selle Italia parts mix. I love this bike!

http://christianedstrom.com/zanconato/zanconato_cx.JPG

christian
09-25-2012, 08:37 AM
PS: No bottle bosses. This ain't no hybrid.

AngryScientist
09-25-2012, 08:39 AM
nice christian. if one ever comes up used in my size - i'm jumping. i've never heard even a hint of a bad word about zank. enjoy.

AngryScientist
09-25-2012, 08:41 AM
PS: No bottle bosses. This ain't no hybrid.

P.P.S.

Please provide an annual percentage of hours spent racing this bike on a cross course vs. riding it other times when bottle cages might, just might come in handy.:D

AngryScientist
09-25-2012, 08:42 AM
P.P.P.S.

man, i got thirsty on that d2r2 course:D:D

christian
09-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Ok, I've only had the bike for a couple of weeks, but so far the breakdown is:

Racing cross, warming up for cross, training cross skills: 100%
Other riding: 0%

PS: Don't tell anyone, but I got two of these for D2R2 or other long dirty rides. Of course, if I play my cards right, I'll get a Hampco Strada Bianca before D2R2 2013.
http://www.minourausa.com/_src/sc7165/bh100-2s_cage_image.jpg

pakora
09-25-2012, 09:07 AM
I insist my road bike ride dirt and gravel roads when they're dry. But I also insisted this guy ride singletrack. Ride was fantastic, except for all the flats.

My first race is Saturday and I'm totally psyched/scared witless.

Here's the horsie:

http://i.imgur.com/hU2uil.jpg

Looks a bit different now but it's in the shop, Ritchey cranks and front shifting.

fiamme red
09-25-2012, 09:40 AM
PS: No bottle bosses. This ain't no hybrid.Why would one order a custom 'cross bike without bottle bosses? Seems rather limiting to me, fashion over function, like brakeless fixies. You never know, someday you might want to do a training ride that lasts longer than 90 minutes.

tiretrax
09-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Why would one order a custom 'cross bike without bottle bosses? Seems rather limiting to me, fashion over function, like brakeless fixies. You never know, someday you might want to do a training ride that lasts longer than 90 minutes.

Zanc for racing, another for training?

spiderman
09-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Why would one order a custom 'cross bike without bottle bosses? Seems rather limiting to me, fashion over function, like brakeless fixies. You never know, someday you might want to do a training ride that lasts longer than 90 minutes.

ride so crazy out there
i lose my water bottles
out of the cages
and then retrace my route
to see if i can find them...
...not sure i'll ever recover
my sachs bottle from a couple weeks ago.

tiretrax
09-25-2012, 09:47 AM
the new black? Got one this Saturday night. If you're in North Texas, check out The Spinistry. They've got it down and present a new course each ride. Great organization.

Dave B
09-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Here are some great places to look at cross bikes.

I might have a few in there. ;)

http://www.ifrider.com/category/register/planet-cross/

http://www.ifrider.com/category/register/planet-cross-titanium/

http://www.ifrider.com/category/register/ssx/

FlashUNC
09-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Here's mine. Seatpost is now a Ritchey WCS black alloy, new saddle and the tires are Parigi-Roubaix's. Oh, and the brakes are now TRP canti's.

Only non-Campy bike in the stable, but really a fan of Redline's stuff.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7210/6852065597_0c42ec569a_b.jpg

christian
09-25-2012, 10:03 AM

1) Tradition, not fashion. You get thirsty, but not dehydrated in 60 minutes.
1) It's a long-running joke, ATH.
2) Smooth downtube is nice for dismounts/shouldering.
3) I do my "cx skills training" at the local elementary school. 100 yds to the drinking fountain.
4) Rumors of inner tube/electrical tape or Minoura mounts abound. I think it's probably possible to cobble together a workable solution for riding far (see Sachs, Richard, D2R2 2011). Though in my case, that solution is really going to be a Strada Bianca.

That said, this bike wasn't custom for me. If it were, it'd probably have bottle mounts on the seat tube. But I would keep the down tube bare.

spiderman
09-25-2012, 10:10 AM

jdhansen63
09-25-2012, 11:16 AM

djg
09-25-2012, 12:13 PM

Well, sure -- agree for my own purposes completely -- but folks should get what they want. I asked for a single set of bottle bosses on the seat tube for just your reason -- training rides often go longer than the cross-specific practice or hot laps thing and I much prefer the minute it takes to screw in a water bottle cage (or remove it the night before a race) to futzing with some kludge/substitute for a water bottle cage. Low profile rounded-head screws on the seat tube seem like a complete non-issue for me grabbing or shouldering the bike. OTOH, I didn't want anything extra on the down tube myself and didn't see a big penalty in giving up the second bottle mount. To each his or her own -- if somebody wants 2 or 0, I'm ok with that.

Gummee
09-25-2012, 12:54 PM
i took the kirk out for a spin
after tuning up the brakes
lubing the chain
and readjusting the hood
that i had ridden down the drops
...here's a picture of my lunch!

Someone needs to show you the 'approved' way to fold a tubular. A quick youtube search turned up zilch. Someone have a link to a video?

M

ptourkin
09-25-2012, 05:27 PM
PsychloX in crossmuter dress-- Ouzo Pro, Force, Paul neo/touring, Red, Force, Rival (med. cage), Jack Browns

scottyjames
09-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Angry --

How do your Vittorias hold up on asphalt? The majority of my riding is pavement, but I'd like my new tires to be all-arounders that I could keep on full time for when the gravel and singletrack beckon. Really like the look of the cross xn pro.

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Here's mine. Seatpost is now a Ritchey WCS black alloy, new saddle and the tires are Parigi-Roubaix's. Oh, and the brakes are now TRP canti's.

Only non-Campy bike in the stable, but really a fan of Redline's stuff.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7210/6852065597_0c42ec569a_b.jpg

What cages are those?

FlashUNC
09-28-2012, 12:10 PM
What cages are those?

Honestly, just some generic cages the shop I bought it from threw on as part of the sale.

FWIW, they were terrible cages, tossing bottles and generally being a pain. I swapped those out as well.

Kupe
09-28-2012, 12:20 PM
I insist my road bike ride dirt and gravel roads when they're dry. But I also insisted this guy ride singletrack. Ride was fantastic, except for all the flats.

My first race is Saturday and I'm totally psyched/scared witless.

Here's the horsie:

http://i.imgur.com/hU2uil.jpg

Looks a bit different now but it's in the shop, Ritchey cranks and front shifting.

I must say that, not only is your steed quite nice, but your taste in colorways is impeccable! Well done, Sir! :beer:

http://i49.tinypic.com/25rplbo.jpg

pakora
09-28-2012, 01:52 PM
heh looks like you need to trade your Thompson post for my Lemond-branded one.

Thanks!

mhespenheide
09-28-2012, 05:50 PM
I must say that, not only is your steed quite nice, but your taste in colorways is impeccable! Well done, Sir! :beer:

http://i49.tinypic.com/25rplbo.jpg

Well, heck. I knew that I needed to work on some things, but I didn't realize that I needed to get some white bar tape as well. :) I can totally get behind the idea of some polished cranks, though...