PDA

View Full Version : Campy cranks chainring question

UKBROOKLYN
08-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Hi guys.. I have a friend who has Campy Record Titanium 9 Speed on his ole bone shaker. He wants to move to a compact without replacing the whole group if that is possible. Any info on his options would be gratefully received.
BTW please no rants against compact cranks..

firerescuefin
08-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Hi guys.. I have a friend who has Campy Record Titanium 9 Speed on his ole bone shaker. He wants to move to a compact without replacing the whole group if that is possible. Any info on his options would be gratefully received.

EZ...may or may not require a front der. switch w/ 9 speed (smarter campyfiles will probably chime in soon)...and I am pro compact...how's that?

oliver1850
08-25-2012, 10:43 PM
If he wants to do it on a budget, it doesn't need to be a Campy crank. SRAM, Shimano, FSA compacts will all work with the appropriate BB. The FD will work; perhaps one of the later STD/CT would work a bit better.

Campy compact cranks are kind of a premium item. There are great deals out there on STD cranks, but not so much for compacts.

If he doesn't really need the 34 small ring, I'd suggest a big ring switch to a 48 or 50. Look around for TA or Miche. If he needs a lower low gear, maybe swapping the cassette and the big ring would give the same ratios at a lower cost than a new Campy crank. If he's not concerned about mixing brands, go with one with an S in the name.

UKBROOKLYN
08-25-2012, 11:04 PM
I guess we will keep an eye on Ebay.. I did see some older compacts.. I think it would be cool to stay with campy as its a Ti bike and all very classic.. just wanted to check if there was anything to avoid.. I guess cranks are pretty interchangeable.??

oldpotatoe
08-26-2012, 07:21 AM

Put any compact crank on, lower front der(present one will work great), make sure chain length is correct, go ride. Even an 11s crank will be fine.

UKBROOKLYN
08-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Thanks Mr Potato.. Your advice is always my guide with Campy.. BTW thanks to Vecchios for sending out the inside Campy chainring bolt that I needed last week.. It arrived on time for my Saturday ride.. big smile..

oldpotatoe
08-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Thanks Mr Potato.. Your advice is always my guide with Campy.. BTW thanks to Vecchios for sending out the inside Campy chainring bolt that I needed last week.. It arrived on time for my Saturday ride.. big smile..

Happy to help....