PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Neil Armstrong

Louis
08-25-2012, 02:37 PM
From the BBC web site:

US astronaut Neil Armstrong, the first man to set foot on the Moon, has died at the age of 82, US media report.

Earlier this month he had surgery to relieve blocked coronary arteries.

He walked on the Moon on 20 July 1969, famously describing the event as "one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind".

Last November Armstrong, along with three other astronauts, received the Congressional Gold Medal, the highest US civilian award.

He was the commander of the Apollo 11 spacecraft. He and fellow astronaut Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin spent nearly three hours walking on the moon.

Germany_chris
08-25-2012, 02:44 PM
A real hero!

jpw
08-25-2012, 02:52 PM
A salute to the brave. God speed.

gasman
08-25-2012, 02:54 PM
A very private man thrust into the spotlight for being lucky enough to be chosen to be the first person on the moon. He was a remarkable guy.
RIP

Louis
08-25-2012, 03:01 PM
A clever comment on the Le Monde web site. I'll do a quick translation:

"Ah well, bravo. Bravo! You journalists can be proud of yourselves. If only you had left him in peace, instead of pell-mell accusing him of doping, of having put aside his trumpet and not released an album since the '70s, it might not have come to this. We must put an end to this harassment by journalists. It might only be a small step for the press, but a giant leap for mankind."

Ah ben bravo ! Bravo ! Vous pouvez être fiers de vous, les journalistes ! Si vous lui aviez foutu la paix un peu au lieu de lui reprocher pêle-mêle de s'être dopé, d'avoir rangé sa trompette et de ne pas avoir sorti un seul album depuis le début des années 70, on n'en serait peut-être pas là. Il faut mettre un terme au journalisme de harcèlement. Ce ne sera qu'un petit pas pour la presse, mais un pas de géant pour l'humanité.

Chance
08-25-2012, 03:09 PM
We need more men like Armstrong. Remained humble in spite of all the attention. Claimed much of his success was due to luck, but many who knew him disagree. Was not only brave but talented as well.

Lewis Moon
08-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Godspeed Neil.

Cinci Jim
08-25-2012, 03:43 PM
He was a class act. The sort of hero kids these days need - not about the money or fame, but just daring to do great things because they are just there to be done.

djg21
08-25-2012, 04:33 PM
He was a class act. The sort of hero kids these days need - not about the money or fame, but just daring to do great things because they are just there to be done.

Doper!

Oops. Wrong Armstrong.

R.I.P.

Steve in SLO
08-25-2012, 04:45 PM
The Apollo 11 splashdown was on my 10th birthday. We watched it during my party. What a time to be a kid.

Liv2RideHard
08-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Doper!

Oops. Wrong Armstrong.

R.I.P.

Totally not even necessary man. Not the thread for this. Come on djg enough.

I am lucky enough to work out on the Cape. It is an honor to know that I have stepped in some of he same footsteps as Mr. Armstrong. There is a lot of history on the Cape and he is a big part of it.

chwupper
08-25-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm in total awe when I think about what this guy did. How many times can you say someone did something for the first time in the history of humanity? Amazing.

guyintense
08-25-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm sure there are a lot of us here who remember where they were when we watched those fuzzy black and white images of Neil Armstrong stepping off the Eagle. It still gives me chills.

Tony T
08-25-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm sure there are a lot of us here who remember where they were when we watched those fuzzy black and white images of Neil Armstrong stepping off the Eagle. It still gives me chills.

I recommend this DVD: For All Mankind (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026VBOIS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00)

monkeybanana86
08-25-2012, 07:29 PM
RIP space man

pedlpwrd
08-26-2012, 05:29 AM
I remember being in grade school and my friends and I playing "go to the moon" and I was Neil Armstrong. I remember one of the other boys saying his dad told him the moonlanding was a fake and that made the men who were supposedly there fakes too. I remember that being my first schoolyard fight. I remember being in the Principal's office and my Dad comming to get me and telling me I was a good American boy for whooping that kid's butt.
That is my favorite Neil Armstrong memory.
May he rest a hero's rest now.

mcteague
08-26-2012, 06:52 AM
I was always impressed that he did not cash in on his celebrity after the landing. He pretty much stayed out of the lime light.

It was a fun time being a kid when the space program was in it's heyday, Mercury>Gemini>Apollo. I remember sitting on my front porch, the night of the landing, staring up at the moon thinking "there are two people up there now". Still seems amazing.

Tim

Bob Ross
08-26-2012, 07:14 AM
"Giant steps are what we take..."

MadRocketSci
08-26-2012, 10:49 AM
the man...he didn't need no 3-9's safety. thanks for showing us how it's done. RIP.

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n1208/25neilarmstrong/

Cinci Jim
08-31-2012, 03:51 PM
http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_east_cincinnati/indian_hill/rare-blue-moon-occuring-the-same-day-as-neil-armstrongs-memorial-service