View Full Version : Todays Stage (Pro Tour Challenge) Includes TT Spoiler

firerescuefin
08-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Should be AWESOME...bodies will be left on the roadside

Radioshack tour tracker APP is great!

azrider
08-25-2012, 12:38 PM
MTN top finish.......sweet

I've heard that climb outta Boulder is pretty gnarly in spots. I'd have to give Garmin the nod and Tommy D (can't believe i'm sayin this) the win. As a team they've been riding textbook and this is TD's backyard.

DVR is set. I'm out (before it heats up to 120).

Fixed
08-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Starts in a few minutes
Great day for cycling fans
Cheers

Fixed
08-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Hey is there a Chinese rider in the break ? How cool is that
Good for him If I am seeing correctly
Cheers

Wilkinson4
08-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Shut up legs, um nevermind... Still gotta love Jens! Retracted. Jens has indeed told his legs to shut up!

mIKE

harryblack
08-25-2012, 03:59 PM
I hope you're right! Because otherwise today's Vuelta stage >>>> the enter Colorado race combined... Kinda ridiculous to have a race in COLORADO and the great "drama" (Danielson's break) might as well have been Paris-Tours... yeah, it's sorta "dramatic" but given the possibilities, big deal... Will Jacky Durand stay away? Will he throw his schmatte to the crowd afterwards? The Colorado GC is a clusterf**k and there's a joke TT tomorrow...

I've heard the course is consciously designed this way (keep it close) but honestly, I don't think it puts best foot forward for the sport, esp. in given its locale.

All that said-- and regardless my much greater interest in the Vuelta-- I do hope it's CARNAGE today and may the best man win (even if he's on Garmin, which I hope isn't the case). Can Tejay smash it? We'll see...

Should be AWESOME...bodies will be left on the roadside

Radioshack tour tracker APP is great!

CunegoFan
08-25-2012, 04:09 PM
By comparison:

Tour of Utah = Tour de France.

USPCC = Eneco Tour

firerescuefin
08-25-2012, 04:28 PM
By comparison:

Tour of Utah = Tour de France.

USPCC = Eneco Tour

Care to explain that a little more

cloudguy
08-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Dude, you've got to be the most negative poster I've ever come across - is that why you're last name is "Black"? Hopefully, you don't have kids, cause they'll never live up to your standards.

Fixed
08-25-2012, 05:43 PM
As a fan I like both races but Colorado is not Spain .
The talent is not the same sorry not trying to hurt anyones feelings

Now maybe if they combine California ,Utah ,and Colorado tours age it refine it for twenty years it might be .
Cheers

azrider
08-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Man I was way off. Good stage though. Hats off to the winner. Big win for him.

Am I the only one who screams at the turds running along side these guys? What the hell is that all about? I get wanting to cheer them on, but seems that most just want their bare ass checks to make it on the television so they have something to laugh about later.

Loved it when Rory threw a punch at that dude who was filming him running backwards.........idiot

firerescuefin
08-25-2012, 06:34 PM
As a fan I like both races but Colorado is not Spain .
The talent is not the same sorry not trying to hurt anyones feelings

Now maybe if they combine California ,Utah ,and Colorado tours age it refine it for twenty years it might be .
Cheers

Agreed.....what's going on in Spain right now is special. Hopefully after the Challenge proves its long term viability, they'll get a little more inventive with the route. The problem is not the state...trust me. Not sure this time of year works (this late in the season)...but when else are you going to put it on the calendar?

cloudguy
08-25-2012, 06:35 PM
The OP didn't start a thread about Spain vs. Colorado. I watched the Vuelta in the morning, then rode up Boulder Canyon to see the race go by, before heading down to the rollers on 36 to hook up with my family, then home by car to catch the finish on TV. I had way more fun seeing the 2nd-string pros go by here, then watching the ****ty Eurosport feed in the morning. It also looked to me like there were more fans on Flagstaff than on the final climb in the Vuelta.
I've always wanted to see the Pros ride the hills and climbs in my backyard and today I got that. Doubt we'll ever see a Tour of Florida...

biker72
08-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Am I the only one who screams at the turds running along side these guys?
No. There are at least two of us....:)

harryblack
08-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Oh, I believe you, that's why-- talent level aside (non-explosive Levi Leipheimer dropping the lead group on an uphill finish??!?!) and its place on calendar, (cf. totally fried Cadel Evans), this course is EXTREMELY disappointing. And now it's down to glorified prologue as a final TT?

I know the idea is to keep it 'competitive' (small time gaps) but I think that logic is misguided... Save the scenery and the will they or won't they catch Danielson (whom I don't like but kudos for a gutsy ride), the race has been a SNOOZE.

If the event's future in part depends on its ability to attract non-hardcore cycling fans, I think the stages could have been designed much better.

Agreed.....what's going on in Spain right now is special. Hopefully after the Challenge proves its long term viability, they'll get a little more inventive with the route. The problem is not the state...trust me. Not sure this time of year works (this late in the season)...but when else are you going to put it on the calendar?

cloudguy
08-25-2012, 08:11 PM
If the event's future in part depends on its ability to attract non-hardcore cycling fans, I think the stages could have been designed much better.

Yeah, I'm sure NON-"hardcore" cycling fans are really disappointed with "no-kick" Levi grabbing the lead today or with the really narrow time gaps on the last day of racing. Judging from the crowds today, I'd say that NON-"hardcore" cycling fans were thoroughly entertained, as opposed to Mr. HARDCORE Black, aka. debby downer.

harryblack
08-25-2012, 10:06 PM
are you watching the Vuelta? do you think Levi could have been top 10 yesterday or two days ago? has he EVER been explosive? no and no, yet he blasts out on today's pseudo-epic? COLORADO as should be ashamed by these so callled 'mountain stages' ...

Tour de Georgia >>>>> Colorado and, if this keeps up, it won't even have run as long as the Georgia race. And hey, Danielson even won Georgia (with Lance's blessing).

you can praise or blame me when the time comes, whatever, but let's not mistake good intentions or homerism for first class racing-- it doesn't help anyone.

... or if you want to say the courses are mediocre to accommodate second tier domestic U.S. teams, OK, but don't expect anyone to care when the race dies. (Mike Sayers' comment comparison to women's racing was impolite & politically incorrect but he wasn't far WRONG either.)

Oh, I believe you, that's why-- talent level aside (non-explosive Levi Leipheimer dropping the lead group on an uphill finish??!?!) and its place on calendar, (cf. totally fried Cadel Evans), this course is EXTREMELY disappointing. And now it's down to glorified prologue as a final TT?

I know the idea is to keep it 'competitive' (small time gaps) but I think that logic is misguided... Save the scenery and the will they or won't they catch Danielson (whom I don't like but kudos for a gutsy ride), the race has been a SNOOZE.

firerescuefin
08-25-2012, 10:21 PM
I actually have to agree with HB on this one. The organizers have been provided Filet Mignon and Main Lobster...and decided to make burgers and fried lobster tail....lots of people like burgers and fried seafood....and I know they're not catering to the fringe fanatic (me and some others on this board)

I just think this race could be a hell of a lot better...but it's in its second year.

xjoex
08-25-2012, 10:26 PM
It was awesome. We were at the Nederland KOM, packed with people.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/205865_397320373654961_1911367286_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/185047_397320440321621_1757138300_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/527051_397320566988275_90717053_n.jpg

Tons more pics here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.397320103654988.95920.103664646353870&type=1
-Joe

Fixed
08-25-2012, 10:29 PM
I just think this race could be a hell of a lot better...but it's in its second year.

I agree it is still a baby but with a lot of potential and some history from the red zinger years
IMHO cheers
I remember watching the badger racing there back then thinking the badger is in Colorado cool :)

rockdude
08-26-2012, 08:33 AM
This has been one hell of a race and Garmin has really rode crazy like. I wish that all races were raced this aggressive. This is the future of US Pro cycling. It can be made tougher but these guys are struggling with the altitude. It maybe be fun to finish on a 14er but the attacks are few and far in between when you get that high. I have raced Evans and its more attrition than exciting moves.

FYI- I have never seen so many people out here in Boulder, it was like woodstock for cyclist.

93legendti
08-26-2012, 08:38 AM
I agree it is still a baby but with a lot of potential and some history from the red zinger years
IMHO cheers
I remember watching the badger racing there back then thinking the badger is in Colorado cool :)

Not only that, I'm not sure how easy it is to be "explosive" at the high altitudes of the Colorado peaks.

MadRocketSci
08-26-2012, 10:38 AM
agreed, there are things that could be done better to make the race more exciting for us geeks. however, if you have any desire to ride these classic roads, this would be a great time to do it. yesterday the wife and i had the upper part of flagstaff past the amphitheater pretty much to ourselves. Descending those steep curves and being able to use the entire road was a blast (just watch for the one fire service truck that was doing some checks)....i'm planning on riding the race passes next year during the uspcc

harryblack
08-26-2012, 03:43 PM
What happened to Danielson yesterday? Still recovering from the TdF? I'll still admit his win was gutsy but come on, a rider of supposed quality and 'newfound focus' (found it 100 x already) can't even follow 60-year-old rouleur Jens Voight? (No offense to my 60-year-old friends!!)

Good point about the altitude, I'll admit I forgot about that.

I want Colorado to succeed btw but this 3/4ths or even 1/2 scale version of a stage race isn't the way to do it, in my opinion.

Taylor Phinney holding at 17:25 as I type...

17 MINUTE 25 SECOND FINAL TIME TRIAL (potential) WINNER??

** pathetic **

Nothing against Taylor as a prologue rider but come on...

This has been one hell of a race and Garmin has really rode crazy like. I wish that all races were raced this aggressive. This is the future of US Pro cycling. It can be made tougher but these guys are struggling with the altitude. It maybe be fun to finish on a 14er but the attacks are few and far in between when you get that high. I have raced Evans and its more attrition than exciting moves.

FYI- I have never seen some many people out here in Boulder, it was like woodstock for cyclist.

firerescuefin
08-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Very happy to see Phinney win it and VdV take the overall. Great ride by both!

thenewguy11
08-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Riding a final TT at greater than 30mph is pathetic? I had the pleasure of watching the halfway point in City Park and it was packed. Huge cheers for every rider and just a lot of fun with friends.

Took my son to watch yesterdays stage at the foot of Flagstaff. Loved seeing Jens come through hammering. The crowd on the climb looked amazing. Maybe next year I'll have a chance to spend the day on a climb.

Its not a grand tour but I for one hope it sticks around for a while.

Fixed
08-26-2012, 08:05 PM
I think what h.b. is getting at is it was more of a prologue than a t.t. For these guys . He has a valid point I think
Cheers

cfox
08-27-2012, 05:30 AM
CVV Et al. didn't design the parcours; they were told to show up and ride it. No one is pretending this is the Vuelta. Nice ride and win by an aging domestique. Now I hope VNews does a 30 page spread on him just to piss off that harry guy.

oldpotatoe
08-27-2012, 07:40 AM

FYI- I have never seen so many people out here in Boulder, it was like woodstock for cyclist.

I was open, the 'Finish Village' was out my front door and my shop was PACKED from 9am till 7PM...Huge party, many, many out of staters as well as locals, emptied my fridge 3 times, glad Liquor Mart was open and close...if the cleanup on Sunday was any indication...great time, sold all my cycling hats, mugs, lotsa t shirts, etc. Even OVH a french BB in the midst of it all...

It was wonderful, all good, nothing bad..

Put some money in the register but gave a lot of stuff away(like HTFU sox and wristbands) and about 300 beers. It wasn't about being open but participating in the festival..great fun, like Woodstock, only cleaner and smaller, i guess, I wasn't at Woodstock.

Hope it happens in Boulder, next year..the jury is still out on that one.