PDA

View Full Version : Hit and run fatality in Wellesley, MA

Bruce K
08-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Witnesses say a landscaping truck hit and killed a local triathlete out on his bike yesterday.

The news story shows a high end Specialized tri bike in more pieces than you can count.

Police are still looking for the truck and driver.

The guy was in his early 40s

Just awful

I can't post the link from my phone but it's at WHDH Cannel 7 in Boston's site

BK

Climb01742
08-25-2012, 01:19 PM
a surprising large % of the vehicles that have buzzed me over the years have been landscaping trucks. coincidence or something more? who knows. i found the article, bruce, and that photo is chilling. may peace be with the rider's family.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/12008353652126/bicyclist-killed-in-wellesley-hit-and-run/

vav
08-25-2012, 01:21 PM
I used to ride around the area regularly in the early, early AM. Never felt comfortable after 10 AM. Just too much traffic. Be careful out there.

thegunner
08-25-2012, 01:45 PM
“It could have been the bicyclist’s fault or it could have been the motorist’s fault. It’s a tough intersection,” one man said.

BS. someone who's not at fault doesn't drive off and pretend they didn't just hit another human being. if the bike is in that many pieces, there's no way this was simply a grazing of mirrors.

leftyfreak
08-25-2012, 02:24 PM
I came home from my ride this today, and my wife rushed over to say she was so glad I was back safe. It turns out she had gone across the street to visit our neighbor just moments after I had left on my ride. The neighbor came to the door in tears because she had just gotten a call telling her that her close friend and co-worker had died in a bicycle accident. The subject of this thread as it turns out. I don't know the man who died or his family but I'll hold them in my heart tonight.

wc1934
08-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Sad
Driver needs to be jailed for life.

slidey
08-25-2012, 11:34 PM
That is just sad! Best thoughts to the bereaved family.

gdw
08-25-2012, 11:47 PM
"BS. someone who's not at fault doesn't drive off and pretend they didn't just hit another human being. if the bike is in that many pieces, there's no way this was simply a grazing of mirrors. "

A politically incorrect fact: The guys working landscaping are often undocumented aliens and they don't stay around to talk to police.

Louis
08-25-2012, 11:49 PM
The same web site had a link to the story below. It could easily have been cyclists wiped out by the driver.

WESTMORELAND, N.H. (AP) -- Police say an 87-year-old driver crossed the center lane of traffic and struck a bevy of motorcyclists participating in a New Hampshire memorial ride, killing two of them. Six other people were hurt.

Police say as many as 200 motorcycles were riding on Route 12 on Saturday morning in Westmoreland when a car driven by Walpole resident Robert Lockerby swerved into their lane.

Killed were 59-year-old Gary Champney, of Alstead, and 41-year-old Aaron Robar, of Newport. Five other motorcyclists and Lockerby's 87-year-old wife were hurt. Two were airlifted to hospitals.

Police say neither speed nor alcohol appears to be a factor in the crash.

The ride was in honor of Army Spc. Justin Rollins, a Newport native who was killed in Iraq by a roadside bomb in March 2007.

Read more: http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/12008362348957/car-runs-down-nh-memorial-ride-cyclists-killing-2/#ixzz24clwcgb8

Ahneida Ride
08-26-2012, 11:38 AM
"BS. someone who's not at fault doesn't drive off and pretend they didn't just hit another human being. if the bike is in that many pieces, there's no way this was simply a grazing of mirrors. "

A politically incorrect fact: The guys working landscaping are often undocumented aliens and they don't stay around to talk to police.

Few years back, my buddy (driving a car) was almost killed by a
landscaping truck. The driver had no license.

He was returning home from the emergency room where he was treating
"undocumented workers".

Ahneida Ride
08-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Few years back, my buddy (driving a car) was almost killed by a
landscaping truck. The driver had no license.

He was returning home from the emergency room where he was treating
"undocumented workers".

I asked him ..... why so many "undocumented workers" in the emergency room? (in a very affluent area outside Chicago.)

He replied .... How do you think all those rich people keep their houses
maintained?

martinrjensen
08-26-2012, 11:57 AM
They may have said that to entice the driver to come forward. Don't know, just think it's a possibility. “It could have been the bicyclist’s fault or it could have been the motorist’s fault. It’s a tough intersection,” one man said.

BS. someone who's not at fault doesn't drive off and pretend they didn't just hit another human being. if the bike is in that many pieces, there's no way this was simply a grazing of mirrors.

tele
08-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Police might have found the driver and still looking for a potential witness:
http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2012/08/26/police-interview-driver-truck-that-killed-cyclist-alexander-motsenigos-wellesley/TldKY3LuGBMLiOwKwEd6WP/story.html