PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with my old bike?

Ozz
02-23-2004, 04:10 PM
Ok - my CSI is now perfect, and is my bike of choice. What do I do with my old steed that has served me well for the past 10 years?

1993 Specialized Allez Pro

Sell it? - it is still in great shape, but it still has original wheels and components. The only things replaced since I bought it are the chain, a couple cogs, and the right brifter. I figure it is worth anywhere from $200 to $400...

Trainer bike - I could strap it to the trainer on a permanent basis to spare my CSI that grief...

Wrench practice - I could take it apart and put it back together to practice being a better mechanic...

Turn it into a fixie - can I do this with this frame??? I suppose so...

Any other ideas?

Climb01742
02-23-2004, 04:14 PM
rain bike and bike for your trainer. a bike to abuse without guilt is highly useful. you have rain in washington, i hear.

jrm
02-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Put it on the trainer permanently. That's what I did a few years ago with my trek and never regretted it. Ride the new bike in any weather or you b@##$h about the old bike the whole ride.:banana:

woolly
02-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Makes sense to keep this for the trainer - you'll not only spare your Csi the abuse of the trainer itself, but also all of the sweat dripping down onto it.

You could build up a rear wheel based on the White Industries ENO eccentric rear hub and have it do fixed-gear or single-speed duties as well, even if it has vertical dropouts (which I'm assuming it does). See here: http://www.whiteind.com/eno.htm

That is, IF it fits. If it doesn't, then I'd find a new home for it & search for a backup bike that does fit.

Dude
02-23-2004, 05:17 PM
If it has a 57 TT drop me a private message.

Smiley
02-23-2004, 05:22 PM
make a fixie out of that sucker and train on it in the winter

dave thompson
02-23-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Climb01742
..... you have rain in washington, i hear.

Rain?!?!?! In western Washington??!?!?! Naaahhh!

Roy E. Munson
02-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Nothing better than having a winter bike that you can ride through all kinds of s*** and not have to worry about cleaning or taking care of. Use it for the trainer and crappy weather (rain doesn't qualify, snow and slush)

Matt Barkley
02-23-2004, 07:52 PM
Ride it to the store instead of driving.

Keeping it on the trainer is fine, but taking a cruise through the neighborhood to get a loaf of bread or a six-pack is a lot of fun.:beer: :bike: Seriously!!

Needs Help
02-23-2004, 08:28 PM
Ok - my CSI is now perfect, and is my bike of choice.

What??!! You ride that bike??!!

Sandy
02-23-2004, 08:33 PM
All of the above. You should have a bike to use in inclement weather instead of your CSi. Also, you should have a bike to ride that is comfortable and fits well if the CSi is in the shop.

Sandy

DonG
02-23-2004, 08:51 PM
I'm with them.

I'm still building up my CIII since Ultegra parts are in short supply right now for some reason. In the end that is probably the best thing to happen for me. The more I thought, the more I read the forum, the more I realized I wanted to, needed to, and should keep the '02 Allez as the do any thing bike for when I really didn't want the CIII out.

Besides, you will always be able to hop on and go "yea, that’s why I got one with a different S on the head tube.

Keep it.

Don

slowgoing
02-24-2004, 01:46 AM
Sell it, preferably to a young person. It may not go for much, but imagine how good it might make a young person who can barely afford it feel. Plus, maybe you get to meet someone new.

Of course, the buyer might use it as a disposable cat 5 crit bike.

Elefantino
02-24-2004, 05:36 AM
Trainer bike. I've never understood "rain bike" because, when I'm riding in the rain, I want to be the most comfortable and confident, which means my best bike.

I mean, jeez, don't we all wipe off our bikes after every ride anyway?

But ... take the Allez Pro out every once in a while anyway, just to reinforce your excellent decision to buy a CSi. :beer:

keno
02-24-2004, 06:46 AM
To Sandy's riding program for kids in need when it's up and running.

keno

BumbleBeeDave
02-24-2004, 07:35 AM
. . . with all those who said trainer and crappy weather bike. Wish I had one, but my old Vitus is now tricked out as a TT bike.

BBDave

Kevin
02-25-2004, 06:47 PM
You can never have too many bikes. Put it on the trainer. Save it for those winter days when there is too much sand on the road and you want to save the paint on the new bike. Trust me, you will use it.

Kevin

Dekonick
02-25-2004, 07:57 PM
Rain bike.

I still ride my Serotta Colorado CR (Pre CSI) and its oohhh 14 years old?

hehe - and I bought a Bianchi Veloce used (1997) and use that as my rain bike.

The Serotta, even being MUCH older still rides better - like a dream.

I wonder what the new CSI are like....

flickwet
02-27-2004, 09:10 AM
Perhaps its sacrelidge, I have to ride my Colorado on the trainer.It is misery enough to be indoors I try to make the best of it. Since I don't have to watch the road I can admire the subtleties of brazed BBs, Platinum-Harlequin fades,the way the Serotta script looks on the chain stays,I can be reminded of summer rides, The fast 270 degree turn by the covered bridge near Hale farm, "stair step" out of the saddle climbs,some rides get stored in the old steel,and return upon use. Helps make thru the misery of Ohio winters.