PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a first TRI

bikerboy337
08-24-2012, 11:55 AM
I know, I know, we generally disparage tri athletes on the Paceline ;)

But... I've signed up for my first sprint tri after being hounded by some friends. Tri is in a few weeks. So, I am a pretty good biker (no TT bike, just road bikes) and run about a 20 minute 5k right now (haven't been running much the past few years). I can swim, but haven't really done laps or anything... planning to hit the pool once or twice before the race just to get used to swimming a bit...

my question is... any advice for a first timer?

What clothes do I wear? I dont have any tri stuff and dont want to buy any... assuming i can't wear bike shorts for my swim as my chamois will be a sponge...

any general thoughts/comments would be apprecaited... just looking to enjoy this first race, not worried much about my time/place, just want to have fun..

Thanks in advance!

christian
08-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Only one piece of advice: slowtwitch. Then you can come back here when you've come back to your senses.

(I kid, I kid)

scsi
08-24-2012, 12:08 PM
i can't swim any long distances, so if you get tired like me, flip on your back and keep kicking. it'll allow you to continue to breathe and move forward too. if you're swimming in open water then make sure you look up every few strokes so you can stay on track. if you keep zigzagging you can add quite a bit of distance to your swim. you can and should draft in the water, it works amazingly well. basically, it's like you're just about grazing the toes of the person you're drafting.

of course tri shorts would be the best, but if you don't have any and don't want to buy then maybe some jammers would be ok. a sprint tri is short enough where you'll survive the bike without the padding and you could wear whatever you want (boardshorts?), but it obviously wont be ideal. if you find you enjoy the event, i'd definitely recommend tri shorts and a tri top. check the rules for the event, you might be able to do it without a top at all. otherwise you could always change during transitions (which will kill your transition times), some call it the 4th sport lol

edit: the above mentioned site is an excellent resource

MattTuck
08-24-2012, 12:13 PM
i can't swim any long distances, so if you get tired like me, flip on your back and keep kicking. it'll allow you to continue to breathe and move forward too.

I prefer the side stroke, if you know it and are proficient with it. If you have powerful legs and good form, I think it is as fast or faster than just kicking legs on your back. And you can see where you're going.

Good luck!

weiwentg
08-24-2012, 12:18 PM
careful in the transitions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJx-f_uuRrw

CaptStash
08-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Definitely spend some time in the pool, and go EASY on the swim leg. Sounds like you will be plenty fast on the bike and the run. I have done the occasional sprint tri and just wear jammers. Works fine for me. Pulling on a cycling singlet takes almost no time. You should also practice a few "bricks". Do a solid ride then run, and at least one ride immediately after a swim if you can. It gives you a good idea of how disconcerting the switch in disciplines can be.

Oh! And don't forget to have FUN!

CaptStash....

PS: Ask Rugby. I think he's one of the more experienced tri guys on here.

oldguy00
08-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Is the swim going to be a pool swim or an open water swim?
If it is open water, get out for a few -open water- swims. If you plan to use a wetsuit, wear that in your practice open water swims as well.
The biggest problem for new triathletes, IMHO, is they are unprepared mentally for the open water aspect. That combined with the unfamiliar feeling of a tight wetsuit around your chest, and here comes the panic attack......And try not to get kicked in the head.
As some others have mentioned, have a planned recovery position. I haven't had to do this yet, but I know if I need a break, I can flip onto my back and can pretty much float with a wetsuit.

Believe it or not, you'll probably be fine with your bike shorts. The shammy will get squeezed out when you sit on the bike. It is a short enough event (total of no more than 1.5 hours for a sprint) that you won't have an issue.
Another thing - for transition after the swim, it is better to have a full zip top to put on. Anything that you have to pull over your head will bunch up badly, and you'll spend a lot of time fighting to get it on. And if you have your number pre-pinned to it, it will likely pop off and you'll get stabbed with the pins.......which brings me to the next point....go spend $10 on a number belt...

I've pretty much completely switched from bike racing to triathlon, and am loving it. Did the half IM in Tremblant in June, doing both the half and the full next Summer..

edit - Forgot to mention.....again, if it is open water, get in the water before the race starts to do a little warm up, even if it is only a couple minutes. Make sure to put your face down in the water. Doing this will make you feel more comfortable, both in terms of having your lungs open and mentally.

vav
08-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Bikerboy;

I do tri's regularly and the only piece of clothing I'd buy, is a tri-specific short. Less padding than regular cycling shorts and it will make a difference when running ( IMO ) I think it would be a bit uncomfortable to run with cycling only shorts. If you buy tri-specific shorts, you can still use them for regular bike rides on the short side with no discomfort.

BTW Which one did you sign for? Maybe I'll see you around.
Good luck
Vincent

deechee
08-24-2012, 12:32 PM
As others have mentioned, check out slowtwitch.com for the articles and the forum. The knowledge there is incredible.

Clothes: yes, tri shorts rock, but I did my first sprint tri in speedos. No big deal, that's how the old guys used to do it.

Swim: I'm assuming this isn't an open water swim? If so, try to practice swiming in open water and sighting. You can't sight buoys, having large buildings/mountains helps. If this is a pool swim, try to jam into a lane with a bunch of others to get used to a mass start. A lot of people get panic attacks in cold water (add to the pre-race jitters).

Bike/Run: Do the bricks. Try at least one time to do a hard ride (say 10km) and run a km or two after. See how long it takes to get your legs back to speed. For me I have to try to stay calm and raise my leg cadence at the beginning of the run. Another brick type is to do short, but race-pace efforts on the bike and running the block around your house. Do it 3-5x. This is a good time to practice mounting/dismounting the bike and getting your run shoes, cap, sunglasses on.

Last but not least, remember that in transition, helmet is the first thing you put on, last thing to take off. The rule is DQ, but think of it more of avoiding a lot of nagging by the marshals. HAVE fun!

Andrewlcox
08-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Definitely spend some time in the pool, and go EASY on the swim leg. Sounds like you will be plenty fast on the bike and the run. I have done the occasional sprint tri and just wear jammers. Works fine for me. Pulling on a cycling singlet takes almost no time. You should also practice a few "bricks". Do a solid ride then run, and at least one ride immediately after a swim if you can. It gives you a good idea of how disconcerting the switch in disciplines can be.

Oh! And don't forget to have FUN!

CaptStash....

I couldn't agree more to everything he said. My transitions were terrible but I never practiced. I even sat down to put on my shoes. Pitiful I know.

Have FUN!!!

deechee
08-24-2012, 01:45 PM
I couldn't agree more to everything he said. My transitions were terrible but I never practiced. I even sat down to put on my shoes. Pitiful I know.

Speaking of which, one guy in our club always carries his transition stuff in a big tupperware box. (The kind you put clothes in.) Sometimes he'll fill the box with water to wash his feet after a long transition from the swim, or, he'll flip it upside down and sit on it to put on his shoes. Funny thing is, he's extra slow and careful during the transitions but he's wicked fast on the bike and run.

bikerboy337
08-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Yes, definatley just going to have fun with this...

Vav, doing the Hyannis Sprint Tri on Sept 8... two friends from NYC are coming up for somethign else and signed up, so i figured I'd join them... they've done one or two tri's but are by no means good... i hope to beat them by 10-15 minutes at least... we'll see...

I think i've decided that I do want a pair of Tri shorts... all i have at home is bibs which I dont want to wear... and the thought of trying to bike/run with board shorts or some other shorts and the possibilty of chafing does not sound fun....

vqdriver
08-24-2012, 02:16 PM
sprint distances are quick. for pretty much any cyclist, the ride portion will be "rest" between the swim and the run.

my wife and i have done a few and really the swim is the big variable. lake or ocean? wetsuit?

a lightly padded tri short is a good investment, but mostly for the run.
if anything, i'd spend a lot of your training focus on T1. removing a wet wetsuit while jogging thru sand (which can be more exhausting than the swim depending on how far the transition is) and with a foggy brain is chaos.

only real advice i can give you is to have some clean water in a spray bottle or tub that you can rinse your feet in. nothing like having sand in your socks throughout the bike and run. and no, you'll never get it all off.

bikerboy337
08-24-2012, 02:26 PM
I was assuming that a september swim (1/4) on cape cod wouldn't require a wetsuit, but I keep seeing mention of a wetsuit...

really necessary? I'm really not planning to buy one, so hopefully the response from you all is that its not necessary... :confused:

vqdriver
08-24-2012, 03:03 PM
your call on the wetsuit.
water's pretty cold in the morning.
but the bouyancy is the big benefit.

there's outfits that rent wetsuits for tris and surfers btw.

christian
08-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Wetsuit - major plus for sucky (and skinny) swimmers. Makes you float like a cork.

vav
08-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Never done Hyannis but a friend has and said that a couple times swimming leg was shortened because of really choppy water and he always brings a wetsuit to that one. It should be fun. I did TDD tri at Douglas forest last year in October and water was so cold that it really sucks a lot of energy out of you, just an FYI if you decide to go w/o swimsuit and what others have said about having sand on your feet is sooo true.

CunegoFan
08-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Take it easy on the bike. It is tempting to hammer it, but the run will turn into a death march if you overdo the cycling.

Fixed
08-24-2012, 06:00 PM
I know, I know, we generally disparage tri athletes on the Paceline ;)

But... I've signed up for my first sprint tri after being hounded by some friends. Tri is in a few weeks. So, I am a pretty good biker (no TT bike, just road bikes) and run about a 20 minute 5k right now (haven't been running much the past few years). I can swim, but haven't really done laps or anything... planning to hit the pool once or twice before the race just to get used to swimming a bit...

my question is... any advice for a first timer?

What clothes do I wear? I dont have any tri stuff and dont want to buy any... assuming i can't wear bike shorts for my swim as my chamois will be a sponge...

any general thoughts/comments would be apprecaited... just looking to enjoy this first race, not worried much about my time/place, just want to have fun..

Thanks in advance!

I started life as a swimmer two words run and swim
As much as you can ,if you not not a swimmer don't start up front unless you like people swimming over you ,wear a speedo they come cut like bike shorts now .enjoy it ,it is a wonderful sport IMHO
Cheers :)

scrubadub
08-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Lots of good advice.

If you're not used to open water swimming, get in the water well before the start and warm up. Do some easy strokes to warm-up, then ramp until you are swimming faster than you think you'll swim. The key is getting the HR up so that when it suddenly ramps up at the start of the swim you'll feel comfortable.

Second, start at the back and on the edge. Pick the side such that when you breath you see the pack. If you're not super comfortable in the water, at the start, count to 5 or 10 once the horn goes off to give the faster swimmers a bit of space and to give yourself some room. It'll keep you out of the swimming scrum.

Finally, if you have the time, try this in training: Youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk) :banana:

rugbysecondrow
08-24-2012, 07:10 PM
I didn't catch what distance this was, Sprint?

I normally do 2-6 triathlons a summer. Advice in no order:
-Stay off Slowtwitch...lots of dickheads over there. If you thought this crew could be difficult at times, those guys are just assholes. Check out Beginnertriathlete.com

-Organize your gear, only bring essentials. Don't mess with extra BS, just what you need to race should be in the transition area.

-I use a 5 gallon drywall bucket for my gear, doubles as a stool before and after.

-T1 and T2 are KEY to a good time.

-brick, brick, brick. When training, I always run after a ride, even if it is only 1/4-1/2 mile. You need to know how long it will take for your legs to recover and how hard you can push them. The better you get the shorter the recovery period, but there will be one.

-do you have compression shorts? I wore just my speedo shorts for my first tri. Who needs padding for only 15 miles of a sprint ride?

-Put your helmet on right...don't laugh, it happens

-don't do anything funky with your routine. The last thing you want to mess with are BM issues during a race.

-crap before you leave the house or you will be in a LONG line for the port-a-let hot-boxing your competitors.

-bring cold beer for after the race. You will run faster knowing there is cold beer at the end

-Swim, get a good, steady, efficient stroke. Get comfortable. Get a good pace and don't burn yourself out.

-Have fun...it is just a race. trust your training, push hard, know your limits and try to stay right there.

bikerboy337
08-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Getting some good advice here...

really thinking a wetsuit would be nice, but I dont really want to spend a ton on one for a single race (i do think I want to do more Tri's next year).

Anyways, guess there is more stuff I need to buy, the wife is going to love this...

christian
08-24-2012, 09:35 PM
You can rent a decent tri wetsuit for a weekend for under $50. That's what I would do. I mean, if I ever were to do a triathlon, which I wouldn't.

Rule #19 and all that.

cnighbor1
08-24-2012, 10:40 PM
For swim part a freind who is a great swimmer and was a life guard at one time
when she did a tri the bumping that goes on in swim part was very hard for her to handle
so jump into the water and have freinds who will swin along side you and bump you

beeatnik
08-25-2012, 02:35 AM
Before you embark on this endeavor please watch the following 10x:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns6YSvCsVJM

rugbysecondrow
08-25-2012, 06:31 AM
careful in the transitions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJx-f_uuRrw

That is pretty funny.

Yeah, don't do any of that mess in your race. Just put your shoes on like a normal person, spend the 15 seconds.

Seriously though, be prepared for being dizzy, your equilibrium being off some coming out of the water. It might happen, just be more deliberate and you will be fine.

One other note, since swimming was brought up, there will be contact, get used to it. I find a certain level of contact acceptable, but in the water all communication in non-verbal, so you might have to send a message or two. For instance, if somebody is not only drafting off of you but swimming onto your feet, you might have to drop a hard kick or two to get their attention. It works because, A) people don't like being kicked. B) The splash can disrupt their breathing rhythm and they will swim elsewhere.

Also, you might need to make space for yourself. Be prepared to take a wider stroke occasionally to get your lane back. Throw a wide elbow or two to make space.

Triathlon Swimming is not a contact sport, but does involve contact. Work with it, accept it, but be prepared to participate in it a little.

What helps with swimming? Sighting. Practice swimming and sighting where to go...no lane lines in the open water.

Lastly, be careful around buoys which require a turn or turn around. Lots of folks stopping, slowing and milling about. Plan your angle before you get to the buoy. It might involved a wider turn, but it might be faster and smoother for you.

Fixed
08-25-2012, 06:41 AM
Nice advise rugby
one more thing switch to breaststroke or start kicking a little harder before you get to shore I always waited till I felt sand with my fingers tips before I tried to stand up nothing worse than tring to Stand up to soon and be over your head still ...the kicking harder before the finish is supposed to put blood in your legs making the transition to standing easier.
Cheers have fun :)

rugbysecondrow
08-25-2012, 06:54 AM
Nice advise rugby
one more thing switch to breaststroke or start kicking a little harder before you get to shore I always waited till I felt sand with my fingers tips before I tried to stand up nothing worse than tring to Stand up to soon and be over your head still ...the kicking harder before the finish is supposed to put blood in your legs making the transition to standing easier.
Cheers have fun :)

Agreed. I expend less energy swimming through water than walking, so fight the urge to walk your way out of the water too early. Like fixed said, swim until you feel the bottom with your hands, then run out with power.

verticaldoug
08-25-2012, 08:26 AM
It's a sprint and you just want to have fun.

1. it is a .25 mi swim. You don't need to bother with a wetsuit. The extra time savings from having the wet suit lift your hips, isn't worth the bother in T1.
You probably looking 6-7 minutes in the water, how much you really going to save. I definitely do a couple open water swims. Even if the course is a small rectangle, open water is not a pool.
2. Practice transitions beforehand. You'd be surprised how stupid we all become in the heat of the moment.
3. Yes, Brics. Running a 5k in 20 minutes and running a 5k in 20 minutes off the bike, are two very different things.
4. Don't be the fat guy in compression socks with the aero helmet on backwards.
:banana:

bikerboy337
08-25-2012, 11:40 AM
great on #1, didn't think I'd need one, but a lit of what I read nade me think I might...I figure even if it takes 10 minutes, I'll be fine...

agree with the running part, I'm just planning on having fun, not working on setting any records... Its a 3.5m run, so anything under 30 illbe happy with for this...

and to the last point...I'm going to try my best to not be a poseur...going to get tri shorts, but that's about it...will be on my caaad9 with my road shoes and helmet...

thanks again for all the good pointers! Really lookjng forward to it

It's a sprint and you just want to have fun.

1. it is a .25 mi swim. You don't need to bother with a wetsuit. The extra time savings from having the wet suit lift your hips, isn't worth the bother in T1.
You probably looking 6-7 minutes in the water, how much you really going to save. I definitely do a couple open water swims. Even if the course is a small rectangle, open water is not a pool.
2. Practice transitions beforehand. You'd be surprised how stupid we all become in the heat of the moment.
3. Yes, Brics. Running a 5k in 20 minutes and running a 5k in 20 minutes off the bike, are two very different things.
4. Don't be the fat guy in compression socks with the aero helmet on backwards.
:banana: