PDA

View Full Version : group ride in DC

RonW87
08-24-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm visiting DC and staying in the Capitol Hill area. Looking for a group ride for Saturday. Ideally i'd like the local equivalent of the Donut ride in toronto or mike's ride in ft. Lauderdale.

It looks like there's a Saturday group ride that meets at 7am at beach Dr and east west hwy. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Ron

zap
08-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Not familiar with the rides in TO or FL.

The 7am EW/Beach is a good ride. DC Velo.

There is also a 10a ride from Pierce Mill (Rock Creek a bit further south) known as the goon ride.

If it's a non race weekend, Pro/1/2 will be at the front of each ride.

flydhest
08-24-2012, 09:16 AM
The two rides zap mentions are good rides, but are not at all casual. They are fairly heavily populated and they are NOT non-drop rides. I love them because I have limited time to ride and so always want that race-sim kind of ride and I grew up here, so in the off chance I get dropped, I always know where I am.

"Donut ride" sounds like a fun ride, but (based on my complete ignorance) I would not have guessed it matches the two above.

Potomac Peddlers is a local club. THey have a website you might try.

If you can ride Sunday, the Bike Rack at 14th and Q NW has a shop ride that is (or used to be) a no-drop ride. THey also have one on Saturday, but it is more of a beginner ride.

Can you describe the donut ride and the one in FL that you are looking to match?

RonW87
08-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Donut Ride: slow through town then accelerate to 25 to 30 mph, withvarious sprints sprinkles in. Off the back...seeya later..local pros show up and push it at the front..if you don't know what you're doing, stay at the back

zap
08-24-2012, 12:46 PM
You should be fine with either ride. If you are mid pack, just don't stop when the light turns yellow then red.

Smiley
08-24-2012, 06:45 PM
I remember when my pal Flydhest would do a Cinabon ride :)

Sandy
08-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Remember when your pal Sandy and you would do bagel rides.:)

Hope that occurs again, be it on my soon to be Kelly Bedford sport tourer or my Serotta CDA.

Sandy

RonW87
08-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Mission accomplished. Mostly. Got dropped on the circuits through the neighbourhood but got back on at the stoplight on Democracy. Nice cruise back to the start. Amazing how its more difficult when you don't know the route.

LJohnny
08-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Hey Ron,

I've never done this group ride, but I have seen the group while riding on Beach Dr.

Question: I looked up the ride route and going north on Beach, after the little hill on Jones Bridge Rd, (right after 410), it shows that they bear left at the light on top of the hill and then merge on Conn Ave. then a left on to Beach at 2 lights north : I was curious of this move, seems like Conn Avc is a bad idea for a group ride. Did you guys do this today? I usually just stay on Jones Bridge all the way then Beach Dr again after passing under 495.

Thx.

zap
08-25-2012, 12:41 PM
The route that goes on Con south is an early ride so the road is empty.

RonW87
08-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Whatever sap said. Don't remember hitting Conn.

LJohnny
08-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Okey-dokey, thanks guys.