PDA

View Full Version : Help - my forks are rubbing on the wheel

Nick H.
09-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Greetings everyone. I've just joined the forum. I have an '05 Ottrot ST with F3 forks. I fitted some Lightweight Obermayer wheels this evening (it's evening where I live, i.e. England) and here's the result :mad: :

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/nhorley/forkrub210.jpg

So what do I do? Fit some spacers to spread the forks? Or just attack them with a file?

Fixed
09-29-2005, 03:34 PM
bro if it were a steel fork I'd say spacers but I don't know about doing that to carbon hold off on the file for a little while. oh yeah very nice wheels dude .cheers :beer:

Smiley
09-29-2005, 03:42 PM
not a good situation :confused:

zap
09-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Ouch.

Looks like the carbon (fork blade) is touching as well. No filling. :no:

Best that you give your bike shop and/or Lightweight a call. For the money, I would expect a perfect fit.

Too Tall
09-29-2005, 04:25 PM
Measure the "over locknut" dimension. Should be 100mm.

I do not know the specs on these wheels however it looks like they use removable endcaps...if so check that they are seated properly.

Nick H.
09-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks guys. I've put the same question on the Carbonsports forum and been told by other Lightweight owners that this is a known problem with Serottas and a model of Time forks.

CS make a special version for owners of these forks. But they don't mention this on their web site - I really think they should! :no: It might also have helped if starbike.com, the CS dealer that I ordered the wheels from, had asked me what bike they were for! (I'm not blaming Serotta or City Cycle where I bought the bike - I bought it with Rolf Primas - how were they to know I was going to buy Lightweights?) But £2200 is a lot of money to pay for wheels that don't fit - and you guys have to pay over $1000 more! It also seems a bit remiss of Pez not to have mentioned this issue when they reviewed Lightweights on an Ottrot. But those Pez guys just love to pour on the compliments whenever they get a sniff of a freebie.

Another known solution is a 1mm spacer on each side - but I would like to hear from Serotta whether that's OK by them. I'm going to the CS factory for their open day on Saturday where I hope to get some spacers and some new Obermayer stickers so everything will look peachy again. I just hope I can fix the problem by Saturday afternoon, because the open day attendees are scheduled to go for a little ride - and Ullrich, Zabel and Bettini might join us - so I don't really want to be using my Rolfs!

I'm not sure what smiley to use at this point, but the banana guy looks fun :banana: What does he signify in the US of A?

zap
09-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Boy, I wish I could go.

I'd give Carbonsports a call in advance so that they are prepared to work on your wheel quickly. Or give you another one for the ride.

Myself, I would not be happy with spacers.

CarbonSports
09-29-2005, 04:57 PM
But they don't mention this on their web site - I really think they should!

We know of 2 forks that are too narrow for LW“s high flanges. One TIME fork and one Serotta fork.

The modification for TIME is on every dealer pricelist, the Serotta currently not. We will have to change that and we will have to add it to our website, I agree.

But: This "problem" is well known to Serotta, too.

We had some mail conversation with Serotta aboout this topic months ago. We also send CAD drawings and measurements of our hubs and flanges to Serotta. This all happened because we were talking about a slight modification in the molds for Serotta forks in order to fit standard LW“s.

After we sent all data - we never received any answer/comment until today.

But back to the case: We will of course solve the problem and will exchange the wheel if necessary.

I will meet Nick on Saturday at our "Meet & Greet" and we will talk and find a way.

Nick H.
09-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Hi Stefan! Funny meeting you here! Seems a shame to exchange the wheel - what do you think of using spacers? Is it risky with carbon forks?

CarbonSports
09-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Hi Stefan! Funny meeting you here! Seems a shame to exchange the wheel - what do you think of using spacers? Is it risky with carbon forks?

Hi Nick,

no, 1 mm per side is uncritical.

But you are right that we were responsible to mention the thing on our website and that you couldn“t know (although we already did).

This makes it a case of guarantee and you have the right to return the wheel and to expect a new one with the proper modification. And so we will do if you wish.

See you soon!

Nick H.
09-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Oh,and why do you think Serotta and Time have deviated from the industry standard with their fork design - if that is what they've done? It seems wierd that your wheels should fit all the bikes in the world except these two.

CarbonSports
09-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Oh,and why do you think Serotta and Time have deviated from the industry standard with their fork design - if that is what they've done? It seems wierd that your wheels should fit all the bikes in the world except these two.

1) don“t know if there are standards for roadbike forks.
2) That“s a fact. Only these 2 forks (as far as we know)

andy mac
09-29-2005, 05:19 PM
carbonsports, a big gold star for your customer service.

Nick H.
09-29-2005, 05:20 PM
A replacement is definitely not necessary - the wheel is a work of art and it would be a crime to discard it just to avoid fitting spacers. Thanks for the offer though. All I want is 2 pairs of spacers (in case I lose one) and some new Obermayer stickers. I'm arriving in Friedrichshafen tomorrow at 12.30 pm. So if I come to the factory later in the afternoon can you give me some spacers? Then I'll have time to fit the wheels before the "Meet and Greet".

Nick H.
09-30-2005, 03:34 PM
All sorted. i flew to Friedrichshafen today with the bike, hoping that Stefan would fix everything, and he did. the spacers work fine, and there were no scratches on the wheel. I'll get new Obermayer stickers tomorrow. And Stefan gave me a great deal on the new Carbonsports team kit and a ton of brake pads, so i couldn't be more happy. the bike looks stunning - it's the first time I've seen it with the Obermayers on. It's so amazing i can't really believe that it's mine.

Friedrichshafen is a beautiful town - google it and you'll see - and the guys at the factory are so enthusiastic and friendly - get yourselves over here - it's great cycling country.

zap
09-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the update. Glad everything worked out.

Let us know if Jan shows up.

:beer:

Brian Smith
09-30-2005, 04:24 PM
All sorted.

Friedrichshafen is a beautiful town - google it and you'll see - and the guys at the factory are so enthusiastic and friendly - get yourselves over here - it's great cycling country.

Sounds like it ended quite well.
Did you tour the Zepp museum?
Pretty area, I was there when Campagnolo surprisingly introduced 10-speed rears and Shimano had bowling shirts to show for themselves. Humorous.

Nick H.
09-30-2005, 04:36 PM
haven't been to the zepp museum - been busy fitting tubs in my hotel room! Oh, and admiring the gorgeous girls over kaffee und kuche...and buying an atomic watch!

Coincidentally i was briefly the Shimano UK brand manager - i took the job in '84 just after indexed shifting appeared and the new DA brakes seemed capable of stopping a train. Campy looked a bit stone age at that moment!

Nick H.
10-03-2005, 09:51 AM
OK, I know this is rather a tragic pic - Der Kaiser having to suffer the company of a disgracefully hung-over fat guy who has only cycled 30 miles this year but thinks he's some kind of cycling expert - but I hope some of you will understand my need to post it somewhere:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/nhorley/Jan.jpg

What a lovely guy. So patient and cheerful when 200 people wanted him to autograph their hats, shirts, wheels, arms etc. He smiles like that ALL THE TIME.

Nick H.
10-03-2005, 10:00 AM
By the way, if any of you want to know why I was allowed in the same room as Der Kaiser, come and have a look at my own little sub-forum. It's part of a UK-based cyclists' forum called "Another Cycling Forum". I think I'm the only Serotta owner there, but drop by. Everyone's very friendly. Here's the link: http://bikereader.com/forum/index.php?board=71.0

Tailwinds
10-03-2005, 10:22 AM
That is a very cool picture!

Great customer service with your wheels, too. Why not post a pic of your bike w/the new wheels?

Ken Robb
10-03-2005, 12:08 PM
I can't read the name tag and I don't know who he is--help.

Nick H.
10-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Well, Der Kaiser isn't wearing a tag so I suppose you must be having trouble identifying the other guy? It's me!

Frustration
10-04-2005, 11:44 AM
I am wondering Which Serotta Fork this is a problem with??

jeffg
10-04-2005, 01:34 PM
All sorted. i flew to Friedrichshafen today with the bike, hoping that Stefan would fix everything, and he did. the spacers work fine, and there were no scratches on the wheel. I'll get new Obermayer stickers tomorrow. And Stefan gave me a great deal on the new Carbonsports team kit and a ton of brake pads, so i couldn't be more happy. the bike looks stunning - it's the first time I've seen it with the Obermayers on. It's so amazing i can't really believe that it's mine.

I studied for a semester in Konstanz, and it is indeed amazing cycling country. My current dream would be to find a job in Freiburg, but I think I will be limited to Bankfurt for now ... :crap:

Nick H.
10-04-2005, 03:19 PM
I am wondering Which Serotta Fork this is a problem with??

Mine is the F3.