PDA

View Full Version : Unconditional Lifetime Returns

damocles
08-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Looks like Competitive Cyclist just updated their return policy. I've never seen anything like this. If this is actually legit, I'm actually quite likely to spend with them more often, perhaps even at a higher price than available elsewhere. Interesting play...

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/no-questions-asked-returns-policy.html

fourflys
08-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Pretty much what REI has been doing for pretty much ever... And Performance Bike as well, at least the one I worked at...

93legendti
08-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Pretty much what REI has been doing for pretty much ever... And Performance Bike as well, at least the one I worked at...

Performance still does as well.

buldogge
08-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Hmmm...but...do I want to be that guy that returns his crashed helmet...I mean, I'm no longer "satisfied with it".

-Mark in St. Louis

tuxbailey
08-23-2012, 11:59 PM
Hopefully no one will ever return a used pair of shorts after 3 years.

54ny77
08-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Is that what ASO is now offering?

buldogge
08-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Someone will...there is no doubt.

-Mark

Hopefully no one will ever return a used pair of shorts after 3 years.

4Rings6Stars
08-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Someone will...there is no doubt.

-Mark

I hear ya. I love going to LL Bean HQ up in Maine and seeing some of the stuff the people return. Worn out boots they bought at yard sales, stained shirts...etc. A few words come to mind for people that take advantage of policies like that... opportunistic and cheap is what I would say if I was in a good mood and being nice. Since I just watched the Red Sox implode again and my cat just knocked over my freshly mixed G&T, I'll say what I really think. They're scumbags.

pdmtong
08-24-2012, 12:40 AM
backcountry has pretty good data mining tools and the abusers will be weeded out and dealt with. for the rest of us, this is a beautiful thing for those infrequent use items or ones on that 3rd or 4th or 20th bike that breaks even though only seen a handful of uses in [x] years.

fourflys
08-24-2012, 12:51 AM
You'd be surprised at some of the stuff we took back at Performance... The manager's take was the item didn't usually cost the company much in the first place and the goodwill was worth more... Now if we took a bike back, it might get prorated depending on condition...

rain dogs
08-24-2012, 12:59 AM
"When companies or organizations do not have a clear sense of why their customers are their customers, they tend to rely on a disproportionate number of manipulations to get what they need... we often forget that we're being manipulated in the first place"

-from "Start With Why", by Simon Sinek.

brando
08-24-2012, 01:08 AM
CC is effective, I have received a brand-new replacement campy derailleur, new shifters with no hassle. Was offered, unsolicited, the possibility of a new frame in discussing an issue I encountered. It hasn't come to that but I appreciate that they outlined that as an option early in their customer service.

I also appreciate that they are going a step beyond most manufacturers and standing behind products for life. Definitely has my attention for any items I plan to do some serious riding on.

slowgoing
08-24-2012, 03:43 AM
I always think of Sears' Craftsman line when I hear of this kind of policy. Seems like they pioneered it many years ago.

JayBay
08-24-2012, 09:29 AM
I've got a friend who abuses the hell out of REI on that. He bought one pair of Sidi shoes from them 15 years ago, and he replaces them for free every couple seasons. Worked his way into new bikes over the years, etc, etc.. I could never do that. I mean, it's one thing to be able to easily return a product that has a valid defect, but it's really taking advantage when you beat the hell out of something, totally get your money's worth out of it, and then get it replaced for free. I give him grief about it all the time.

oldpotatoe
08-24-2012, 09:36 AM
I've got a friend who abuses the hell out of REI on that. He bought one pair of Sidi shoes from them 15 years ago, and he replaces them for free every couple seasons. Worked his way into new bikes over the years, etc, etc.. I could never do that. I mean, it's one thing to be able to easily return a product that has a valid defect, but it's really taking advantage when you beat the hell out of something, totally get your money's worth out of it, and then get it replaced for free. I give him grief about it all the time.

Performance store, in SoCal, about 20 years ago...friends of the employees would buy something, return it, somewhat 'worn' so it couldn't be sold as new...these were discounted deeply to employees..who then bought below wholesale, type scam...

InspectorGadget
08-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Hopefully no one will ever return a used pair of shorts after 3 years.Having worked at REI part time for the past 10 years, I can tell you a used pair of 3 year old shorts pales in comparison to some of the things I've seen returned.

Some people absolutely abuse REI's return policy and some people never take advantage of the policy when they rightfully should. As my neighbor used to say It take all kinds to fill the freeways. :cool:

christian
08-24-2012, 04:57 PM
I actually called them the today about this -- I bought a Campy t-shirt and when it came, it had a hole in the seam, so I asked to return it. They refunded my money and told me to keep the shirt. That's service!

Nelson99
08-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Nashbar has been doing this since forever. NQA.

On the other hand, in my attempt to buy some of the HED wheels CC had on sale a while ago, CC didn't know the right weight limits (based on my conversations with HED), wasn't sure of the spoke count, accepted my order, then canceled my order, and never answered multiple emails asking why the order was cancelled.

It was my first time dealing with them, but I'm sure not going back. I think the change in management may have destroyed a good thing.

67-59
08-24-2012, 11:19 PM
On the other hand, in my attempt to buy some of the HED wheels CC had on sale a while ago, CC didn't know the right weight limits (based on my conversations with HED), wasn't sure of the spoke count, accepted my order, then canceled my order, and never answered multiple emails asking why the order was cancelled.

It was my first time dealing with them, but I'm sure not going back. I think the change in management may have destroyed a good thing.

I had a similar bad experience with CC recently. Ordered some Rapha Classic Bibs on one of their 20% off sales...then got a note that they were back ordered...then got a note that they just canceled the order (discount and all) because they didn't know when the shorts would come in. Never even gave me an option to wait...and still get my sale discount (a pretty significant $42 per pair). I'd have happily waited in order to get the discount.

Here's a hint CC: If you're not prepared to deliver an item, don't list it on your website.

soupless
08-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Why not give them another chance?

soupless
08-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Having worked at REI part time for the past 10 years, I can tell you a used pair of 3 year old shorts pales in comparison to some of the things I've seen returned.

Some people absolutely abuse REI's return policy and some people never take advantage of the policy when they rightfully should. As my neighbor used to say It take all kinds to fill the freeways. :cool:

what are some crazy things?
always been curious.

zennmotion
08-25-2012, 08:39 AM
I'm not proud of it, but as a starving college student I would troll the goodwill stores for used LLBean clothing and send it back for new stuff that fit. In later years I feel less guilty about it having learned about some of the store's political activities and sourcing policies.

echelon_john
08-25-2012, 08:46 AM
I went to college north of LL Bean. It was referred to colloquially a the "Bank of Bean" because kids would take their Christmas present shirts, boots, jackets, etc. back in February when they needed an infusion of cash.

We recently exchanged a Thule car-top box that we bought from Bean a few years ago because it started cracking around the mounting points. Drove it over to Lebanon, NH, stood in line with the 8 foot long box, and they shipped us a new one a few days later. You can always find it cheaper, but I'm still a loyal Bean customer because they take care of me. I don't abuse the policy, but have no qualms about using it when I think it's appropriate.

67-59
08-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Why not give them another chance?

Because I've gotten Rapha from other places and NEVER had a problem like this. I get good prices at their two annual sales, and the service has always been perfect. And if an item is out of stock, I'll know that before I even order. There is also a shop about an hour away that sells Rapha, and when I make it there, I often buy their stuff. CC was a nice third option, but two are plenty.

With other stuff like components, there are even more options - my local shop, Performance, Nashbar, Wiggle, PBK - and I have never had this kind of problem with them either.

The reality is that there are too many options out there for a company to screw up like this and stay in business very long. If they had told me that they'd honor the original discount but I'd just have to wait a bit longer, I'd probably stick with them. But it was "poof - your great deal just disappeared, and there's nothing you can do about it." Not the kind of company for me.