PDA

View Full Version : Road shoes with raised rear "lugs"?

rice rocket
08-23-2012, 06:56 PM
I have two pairs of road shoes, a set of DMT Impacts and a set of S-WORKS shoes. I like how the S-WORKS shoes are very walkable because they made the rear lug/rubber pad extra thick, which makes my foot flat when standing/walking. However, I'm not sure the S-WORKS shoe is for me (my forefoot is practically swimming in the huge front toebox).

On the DMT, it's just maybe 5mm thick, and because of the thickness of the cleat, your heel is dropped, making hobbling around even harder than it should be. The however DMTs aren't stiff enough for my liking either while the S-WORKS shoes are.

Any shoes that you know of that are stiff, have thicker rear lugs to facilitate easier standing/walking, and aren't cavernous in the toebox?

Lovetoclimb
08-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Fizik

spdcyclist
08-23-2012, 07:27 PM
I use SPD-L cleats and have also been keeping an eye out for a shoe that has a raised heel to compensate for the cleat hieght. I have not had any luck finding any. I have a old pair of Lakes that look more like mountain bike shoes and happen to fit SPD-L's but they are discontinued.

If you use mountain bike cleats, they are usually resessed and the shoes usually have a raised heel. Maybe someone in the bike shoe business will read this and it will be the start of a new style shoe.

pdmtong
08-24-2012, 12:23 AM
how far are you guys walking? I dont go more than 50' and just deal with whatever delta there is.

rice rocket
08-24-2012, 12:43 AM
how far are you guys walking? I dont go more than 50' and just deal with whatever delta there is.

Enough. :) It's nice to have my body weight centered over my feet.

Maybe I don't have enough experience walking around in heels to deal w/ the change in Cg.:eek::fight:

pdmtong
08-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Enough. :) It's nice to have my body weight centered over my feet.

Maybe I don't have enough experience walking around in heels to deal w/ the change in Cg.:eek::fight:

now thats pretty funny!

Richard
08-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Not an elegant solution, but you can build up a heel with a hot glue gun. I had a pair of specialized shoes and the heel, for unknown reasons, disintegrated. I used my hot glue gun and after multiple passes made a heel that lasted as long as the shoes. It wasn't pretty, but it was, after all, under the foot and was invisible unless the shoes were upside down.

christian
08-24-2012, 10:38 AM
With an SPD-SL cleat on my Sidis, the heel would have to be like 1 5/8 in order for me to walk flat footed. With shaved legs, I don't think I can get away with that much of a heel. Thoughts?

Ramjm_2000
08-24-2012, 11:32 AM
That much heel looks marvelous with a nice skort.

rice rocket
08-24-2012, 04:27 PM
With an SPD-SL cleat on my Sidis, the heel would have to be like 1 5/8 in order for me to walk flat footed. With shaved legs, I don't think I can get away with that much of a heel. Thoughts?

Get away with, or fit in beautifully? ;)

The S-WORKS ones aren't mega tall, they're just the right height so you're not dropping your heel immensely to the point of having to walk like a duck.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SQbsDE8_bBE/TIqcjE0ZeUI/AAAAAAAANuo/JctimyNyvY0/s1600/S-Works.jpg

rice rocket
08-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Any other suggestions?

John M
08-29-2012, 08:29 AM
I switched all my bikes to egg beater pedals and use MTB shoes when I need to walk some time on the ride. Most brands top end models use the same uppers on their road and MTB shoes with the only difference being the lugged sole of the MTB shoes. The MTB shoes are a few grams heavier, but only an ounce or two.

If it is a ride where I won't be walking, I use my road shoes (with CB road cleat).

bobswire
08-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Any other suggestions?

The fiziks are back on sale > http://www.theclymb.com/brand-event/70772/show-product/109896?f=mi

rice rocket
08-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks bobswire.

I'm borderline 40.5 and 41, so I might be best served going to the LBS.

vqdriver
08-29-2012, 02:54 PM
a lot of road shoes have screw on heel pads with replacement pads for sale. could you just get longer screws and put two pads on there? of if that looks wonky, just cut a rubber shim and put it between the original pad and the shoe. wouldn't even see it.

if you like the specialized pad height, you could just buy a replacement set and drill holes to match the shoes of your choosing.