PDA

View Full Version : arm, knee, and leg warmers

flydhest
08-23-2012, 12:29 PM
So, my team is putting together its fall/winter kit order. It got me thinking. I use and love arm warmers and knee warmers. If it seems certain I am going to have the knee warmers on the whole ride, I'll wear knickers. If it is too cold for knickers, I either don't ride or I'll wear tights, but I wear knickers down well below freezing.

Similar logic for upper body. I love the flexibility of arm warmers, base layer and vest, but if I'm sure I'll be wearing the arm warmers the whole ride, I'll wear a long sleeve jersey.

Options are good.

That said, I have never really got wearing full leg warmers. If it's that cold that I need full leg warmth, I want tights. I don't see having regular shorts for the other (more sensitive) areas if it's that cold. I often take knee warmers off while riding--seems awkward/dangerous to do that with full leg warmers.

What am I missing?

fiamme red
08-23-2012, 12:39 PM
I don't own any knickers, or tights with chamois. I prefer wearing shorts with wool leg warmers down to freezing temperatures. Tights over shorts below freezing.

I never see the need to take off leg warmers while riding.

MattTuck
08-23-2012, 12:41 PM
I've never tried just knee warmers or knickers... but that said, I'd be surprised if I could wear them down to below freezing. Leg warmers and normal shorts typically get me from the mid-50s to the high 30's/low 40's (depending on humidity/precipitation/etc), that's when I'd go to tights.

More to the point, usually for me the leg warmers take the chill off the early part of the ride. But unless there are big swings in temperature, I don't find myself overheating in them, and so I often just leave them on.

Knickers could probably do the same. I use some leg warmers I got at EMS for about $15. They seem to do the job.

Nooch
08-23-2012, 12:45 PM
So, my team is putting together its fall/winter kit order. It got me thinking. I use and love arm warmers and knee warmers. If it seems certain I am going to have the knee warmers on the whole ride, I'll wear knickers. If it is too cold for knickers, I either don't ride or I'll wear tights, but I wear knickers down well below freezing.

Similar logic for upper body. I love the flexibility of arm warmers, base layer and vest, but if I'm sure I'll be wearing the arm warmers the whole ride, I'll wear a long sleeve jersey.

Options are good.

That said, I have never really got wearing full leg warmers. If it's that cold that I need full leg warmth, I want tights. I don't see having regular shorts for the other (more sensitive) areas if it's that cold. I often take knee warmers off while riding--seems awkward/dangerous to do that with full leg warmers.

What am I missing?

I'm short. Tights are always too long for me. So I'd like to pair thermal leg warmers with roubaix bib shorts for a tight-like outfit..

But I, like you, can get away most of the year with knickers.. but my team doesn't have knickers.. so I'll wear shorts with knee warmers if I want to match..

tiretrax
08-23-2012, 12:55 PM
You should order them while you have the chance if you want matchy-matchy. I own some black knee warmers and tights. I only use them on the worst days, but then winter is short and mild in Dallas (which accounts for the bumper crop of West Nile carrying mosquitoes we have here).

dekindy
08-23-2012, 12:57 PM

What am I missing?

I wear this combination a lot but almost got frost bite on my you know what when I misjudged the wind chill. However, I am considering purchasing Winter bib shorts which would solve the problem. Then I could wear knee warmers and leg warmers by themselves or in combination for maximum flexibility and comfort. What do you think about that option?

nmrt
08-23-2012, 01:01 PM
leg warmers are perfect for where i live. in a few of my rides i go from 5000ft to 10,000ft. going up i do not have them on. coming down, they are godsend.

knee warmers would not cut it while coming down. got to have the whole leg covered with the leg warmers. knickers/tights would be too warm while going up. so, i wear shorts while going up and leg warmers while coming down.

same deal with the arm warmers.

pavel
08-23-2012, 01:10 PM
What am I missing?

14 hours rides on the pacific coast that start @ 6am / 49F.

FlashUNC
08-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Knickers are fantastic. Great for weather dipping into the mid-30s.

I like arm warmers simply because I can customize my venting and heat loss on those borderline temperature rides. Pull 'em down to the wrists on the climbs, pull 'em back up for the descent.

fiamme red
08-23-2012, 01:14 PM
On a 400km brevet starting at 1 a.m. that I did in May, the temperature varied from 31° to 85°. Leg warmers were the obvious choice.

flydhest
08-23-2012, 02:44 PM
So, I wear knee warmers down below freezing if it is going to warm up later. Done that many times, so I still don't see the benefit of full leg warmers. This could, of course, just be a personal preference thing.

I have done this both here in the flatlands and in Colorado where I am going from 5000' (Ft. Collins) to 8200' (top of Rist Canyon).

Those types of rides truly are where flexibility and options are most valuable.

For dekindy, frostbite on the you know what!!! Yowza. That is exactly the sort of thing that worries me. I'd be in (warm) knickers or tights if that sort of thing was an issue.

I am curious, for those who never see a need to take leg warmers off during a ride, why not wear tights? I suppose the answer might be "why?" but I personally prefer single pieces to multiple if it is not going to compromise my thermal comfort.

Oh, and my team has knickers, so it's all good.

tiretrax
08-23-2012, 04:27 PM
So, I wear knee warmers down below freezing if it is going to warm up later. Done that many times, so I still don't see the benefit of full leg warmers. This could, of course, just be a personal preference thing.

To keep your ankles warm. Less binding around the middle than shorts and tights.

67-59
08-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Shorts, leg warmers and tights over the top work well in Minnesota in January. Don't think I've ever wanted to take off the leg warmers on one of those rides.

saab2000
08-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Shorts, leg warmers and tights over the top work well in Minnesota in January. Don't think I've ever wanted to take off the leg warmers on one of those rides.

Sounds about right. I've done many layers too!

As to the initial comment about wearing just knickers to well below freezing? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Bigger stones than I've got.

I start with the knee warmers at about 60ºF and if I know it's not getting warmer I'll just wear my knickers. And much below this and I'll go with some lightweight tights. Never regretted it yet.

I had a pair of Assos lightweight tights that were seriously one of the best things I've ever owned. Perfect from about 42ºF-60ºF. They finally wore about after about 10 years of usage but I'll definitely be looking for something new this fall. Thermal tights I'm covered but lightweight ones are much harder to find.

I do have a pair of Sugoi knee warmers which have been a pleasant surprise. They don't slip down and they are very effective. And can be removed in 10 seconds at a stop light if needed.

teleguy57
08-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Sounds about right. I've done many layers too!

As to the initial comment about wearing just knickers to well below freezing? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Bigger stones than I've got.

Indeed! I usually cover my knees below 60 degrees F. Have some nice Garneau knee warmers if I think it's going to be variable temps, Craft Roubaix knickers for cooler stuff, and for windy/wet some Cannondale knicks with a wind/waterproof stretch membrane on the front (I'd have to go to my closet to remember the model). I can take the Cannondales below 40F if I need to.

Colder than than, some old (well, most of my stuff is old) Pearl Izumi tights that get used a lot for nordic skiing, then for the really "fun" weather I'm loving my Showers Pass Roadie Pants. I've worn those down below 20F with only a pair of knicks under them.

Still figuring out the armwarmer thing. Have a pair of old (theme here?) Performance acrylic warmers that are too warm above 55F, but mostly wear LS jerseys -- merino wool, or winter weight Nalini. Merino wool baselayer works great under either of those.

Tried some Mad Alchemy embro this spring, and even with medium heat ended up with some "burnt" legs from too heavy an application:eek: Will try going lighter when we get into fall....

67-59
08-23-2012, 06:09 PM
I think the actual temp at which someone goes to knee warmers, knickers, tights, etc varies with the person (how easily they get cold)...but also with other weather factors.

I usually won't go anywhere near knee warmers at 60 degrees...unless it's windy, rainy, or the temps are expected to drop a lot during my ride. If it's a calm, dry day, I usually won't pull out knee warmers until 50 or lower.

jlwdm
08-23-2012, 06:43 PM
I prefer knee warmers and arm warmers. Each have great range.

Knee warmers work well because you can wear them with all of the bib shorts you already have. Good down to freezing.

Arm warmers are so flexible. Can wear them with lots of short sleeve jerseys in the winter. Push them down and then pull back up as needed.

Jeff