PDA

View Full Version : Selle Italia Flite vs SLR

Nooch
08-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Anybody use these two saddles back to back? Similar measurements, the SLR is 1mm wider (131) and 5 mm shorter nose (175) than the Flite, so I'm figuring at least it will feel similar in a size regard.. But how about the shape?

Interested in trying an SLR to replace a flite gel flow (new style) that cracked one day sitting out in the sun when some idiot decided to lock it up with the wing of the saddle over a hand rail...

brando
08-23-2012, 10:10 AM
The shapes differ enough that while the SLR is my favorite saddle I won't ride a Flite. It's been awhile since I replaced a Flite on my bike with an SLR so I can't describe the differences but they are probably specific to my rear anyway. I can ride an SLR all day but I get uncormfortable and numb in like 10 mins on a Flite.

spacemen3
08-23-2012, 10:46 AM
I second what Brando said. The SLR is too minimal for some, though.

Seramount
08-23-2012, 10:49 AM
I retired a Flite (non-gel) after 5+ years and went with a SLR...

didn't notice any signficant differences in terms of comfort.

still have a Flite on the backup bike and going between the two doesn't produce any issues.

fwiw, my ass is not especially well-cushioned either...more on the bony end of the spectrum.

evo111@comcast.net
08-23-2012, 10:51 AM
I ride the Selle Italia Flite and find it very comfortable.

As the SLR flares out in the middle of the saddle it feels wider and "strikes"/"rubs" the back of your arse/thighs.

The Selle Italia Flite with the cutout creaks a bit under my 230 lbs but the Selle Italia Flite without the cutout is noise free.

Hope this helps.

Nooch
08-23-2012, 10:56 AM
thanks for the responses, guys..

I should add, if anyone has one they might be willing to lend out, I'd be appreciative!

LJohnny
08-23-2012, 11:01 AM
I have a Flite on a mountain bike and I like it a lot there, on a road bike, not so much.

Some of my riding buddies like the SLR, I actually ride the Aspide. I find that the main adjustment for both SLR and Aspide is tilt. YMMV

Marburg
08-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Most of my bikes have (vanilla, non gel, non cutout) Flites, but my "go fast" bike has a (vanilla, non cutout) SLR.

I find the SLR is be a micro-iota more likely to cause discomfort (less padding, I assume), but will still happily ride it all day. It feels a bit flatter?

Rada
08-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Personally don't care at all for the Flite. I have a SLR Kit Carbonio Flow on one of my bikes and like it very much, even on all day rides.

jlwdm
08-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Personally don't care at all for the Flite. I have a SLR Kit Carbonio Flow on one of my bikes and like it very much, even on all day rides.

+3

Kit Carbonio Flow on all three of my bikes.

Great for all day rides.

Jeff

kramnnim
08-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Flite seems to have a lot more padding. I use SLRs, the Flite I've used is uncomfortable after an hour or two.