PDA

View Full Version : Caldonazzo, here we come!

mvrider
08-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Dario responded, and we're headed to visit his workshop next week!

I understand his shop is a little hard to find. Does anyone who's been there have any tips on how to find it? We'll have GPS, but just in case.

As long as you're at it, any tips on visiting the Veneto would be much appreciated. Restaurants, gelato, bike shops, etc. We'll be attending the opera in Verona, then it's three days in Venice, down through Ravenna on the way to Florence, ending in Cinque Terre. A lot to fit in 10 days.

http://www.comuni-italiani.it/022/034/stemma.jpg

brando
08-23-2012, 12:19 AM
whoah! take pics. I was just thinking what a dream trip that would be.

AngryScientist
08-23-2012, 06:16 AM
that's great man. are you bringing a bike? enjoy, and yes, bring us pictures back!

thinpin
08-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Switch off the GPS and pop it in your man bag. Ask.. walk.. maybe take a taxi...enjoy.

Liv2RideHard
08-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Enjoy your visit with the Master. You will have a wonderful time. I was recently there for II Pegoraduno. It can be hard to find. GPS will get you part of the way there. Plug in the Hotel Monte Cimone. Stay there if you can. You can walk to Dario's workshop from there. Follow the footpath around the apple orchard and you will run into Dario's workshop. Look for the window with the birds.

Ask Dario about where to eat in Trento. He took us into the city centre and it was wonderful. Pizza and gelato. Ask about the castle. You must have dinner there too. Visit the lake and have a beer and pizza. Will be sensory overload. I believe Dario goes for a cafe at the Monte Cimone daily at 1800 their time. Soak it all in and get measured. His english is very good. Tell Pietro ciao too. He works hard. Have fun.

Guy

Fishbike
08-23-2012, 12:05 PM
What a great trip! Now we know you have a fabulous Responsorium, will you get your riding partner measured, perhaps for a nice Duende to go along with the Renovo and Diva? :)

mvrider
08-23-2012, 12:55 PM
will you get your riding partner measured, perhaps for a nice Duende to go along with the Renovo and Diva? :)

Correct, that's my enticement to get her to detour from our trip. I'm currently thinking another Respo for her. :-)

Though it seems like I fit a stock frame just fine, I might as well get measured by the Master while I'm there!

Since this will be my wife's first trip to Italy, she's a bit eager to see a lot of tourist sites. Hopefully our next trip will be a bit more relaxed. I think we'll just have the day in Caldonazzo though, as we have tickets to the opera in Verona arena that same night.

Amazing what you can find on Google Streetview these days (attachment).

Liv2RideHard
08-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Correct, that's my enticement to get her to detour from our trip. I'm currently thinking another Respo for her. :-)

Though it seems like I fit a stock frame just fine, I might as well get measured by the Master while I'm there!

Since this will be my wife's first trip to Italy, she's a bit eager to see a lot of tourist sites. Hopefully our next trip will be a bit more relaxed. I think we'll just have the day in Caldonazzo though, as we have tickets to the opera in Verona arena that same night.

Amazing what you can find on Google Streetview these days (attachment).

The apple orchard is to the right of the workshop in your screenshot. The footpath will lead you to Dario's workshop. Your pic brings back memories.

Guy

echelon_john
08-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Florence: Go to the Cibreo café for lunch. The restaurant is tough to get in to (reservations months in advance) in the evening, but the café for lunch just means getting in line at 11:30 for when the doors open at noon.

Outside Florence: Da Delfina is a fantastic restaurant overlooking a Medici hunting lodge. Beautiful spot.

La Spezia is a medium-sized city that's right off the autostrada on the way to the Cinque Terre. It's actually a pretty cool place to walk around; not as busy as Florence, and some good art.

Cinque Terre: Lerici is a very small beach town just outside La Spezia. The smart money parks there, then takes the ferry from there to the Cinque Terre. You can then hike, train, or water shuttle between the different villages, and catch the ferry back to Lerici at the end of the day.

Let me know if you're stopping in Lucca, Pietrasanta or environs and I can give you more specific info.

And let me know if you ever want to rent a house there as a training base! My father in law restored a property between Lucca and the ocean about 20 years ago which we rent out.

Have a great trip!
JC

Climb01742
08-23-2012, 03:26 PM
yes, look for birds on the windows. also bikes hanging from the ceiling. it's a memorable trip. dario also knows verona very well. he can, i'm sure, recommend things to do there and places to eat. and the castle...yes, eat there...the food is wonderful...and just walk around the castle...it's the real deal...if you can, go at sunset...the view toward the mountains is breathtaking.