PDA

View Full Version : Using a BB30 crank w/ Spec. OSBB

Aaron_Kellogg
08-22-2012, 11:10 PM
So I just purchased a 2012 Specialized Crux:D and decided to upgrade to a BB30 crank. I was able to get a great deal on a used crank and had a question about installation and fit. All of my experience up to this point has been with external cup bb's.
Are there any specific spacers, adapters etc that I will need to make this installation work?
I haven't actually tried to install it yet as everything is still in transit but I wanted to go ahead and order any necessary parts now if I'm able and reduce the delay that some stupid missing washer would require.
The bike has an aluminum Specialized OSBB cup in it with factory pressed in bearings. The crankset is a Sram Red BB30 crank.
Thanks for the help!
-Aaron

JayBay
08-23-2012, 07:43 AM
Did you buy it as a complete bike, or frame only? I built mine from the frame up using a Force BB30 crank, and although the frameset came with bottom bracket bearings it was lacking the outer seals, spacers and wavy washer included in the BB30 bottom bracket kit, so I needed to pick up one of these as well:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-components/2012-SRAM-BB30-Bottom-Bracket-Assembly-6254.19.1.html

The frameset also included adapaters that slide into the BB30 bearings and neck-down to fit a standard GXP-style crank axle. So I'm guessing if you purchased it built, and it does not have a BB30 crank installed already then you would just need to pull these adapters out and replace them with the parts from the kit listed above, then you can slide the BB30 crank in and you're good to go. It's pretty simple stuff once you see it all laid out. Good luck!

Aaron_Kellogg
08-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Did you buy it as a complete bike, or frame only? I built mine from the frame up using a Force BB30 crank, and although the frameset came with bottom bracket bearings it was lacking the outer seals, spacers and wavy washer included in the BB30 bottom bracket kit, so I needed to pick up one of these as well:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-components/2012-SRAM-BB30-Bottom-Bracket-Assembly-6254.19.1.html

The frameset also included adapaters that slide into the BB30 bearings and neck-down to fit a standard GXP-style crank axle. So I'm guessing if you purchased it built, and it does not have a BB30 crank installed already then you would just need to pull these adapters out and replace them with the parts from the kit listed above, then you can slide the BB30 crank in and you're good to go. It's pretty simple stuff once you see it all laid out. Good luck!

Thanks I bought the frameset new on clearance from a shop. I spoke with the guy at the shop about it and he indicated what you did about the bearings being pressed in but without dust caps etc. I figured there was some sort of kit that I could get ahold of with the necessary spacers etc.

It would be nice if I could just buy the spacers, dust cap etc without having to buy a new set of bearings.

dougdye
08-23-2012, 08:53 AM
SRAM sells a BB30 bottom bracket kit with everything needed besides the crank. It is fairly inexpensive. You will need some BB30 specific adapter cups to properly remove old bearings/ press in new ones. Cannondale may sell a kit online or go to a Cannondale LBS as they should have the tools.

pinoymamba
08-23-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm in the same boat. I purchased a frame and it had the bearings already installed. I didn't know I needed more parts. How important are those spacers? Is it just for spacing out to a triple? Why is there only one wavy seal?

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/images/products/sram/2012/12379_i_1.jpg

If you wanted to save $10 you could pick up this kit (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SRAM-BB30-Bearing-Kit-Bottom-Bracket-/150881956968?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232143f468#ht_500wt_851)

Aaron_Kellogg
08-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Double post sorry.

JayBay
08-23-2012, 09:32 AM
You definitely want the dust seals, and you need the clear spacers to fine tune the fit of the crank in the bottom bracket. Only one wavy washer is needed - that goes on the non-drive side and you use the spacers to get it so that you have enough torque on the bolt with the wavy washer only half compressed (still some wave to it).

For the $25 it's good to have an extra set of bearings around. The BB30/PF30 bearings all seem to give up the ghost pretty quickly.

Aaron_Kellogg
08-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Been working the shop connection all afternoon and think i might have a lead on the necessary parts. It's super frustrating that there isn't a simple "kit" with the necessary parts available. Seems like a no brainer. I'd buy a bearing set just to have another in reserve but I keep tacking on little things here and there on this build and it's getting increasingly out of budget ;) (those red cranks were just asking me to buy them). Thanks for the help and I'll let you know what I find out.

Uncle Jam's Army
08-23-2012, 02:22 PM
The BB30/PF30 bearings all seem to give up the ghost pretty quickly.

Amen to that.

Aaron_Kellogg
08-23-2012, 09:59 PM
This is the first I've heard of issues with the bearings for BB30 cranks. Is there some sort of flaw that causes them to break down? Something I can do to help prevent the issue? Would it be better to "upgrade" to some nicer bearings or is this across the board?

rice rocket
08-23-2012, 10:52 PM
My speculation is that people don't install the seals correctly on them.

I probably have about 5k miles on mine without touching them, and while I am a little shy about riding in the rain, it's been known to happen a few times a year.

pinoymamba
08-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Been working the shop connection all afternoon and think i might have a lead on the necessary parts. It's super frustrating that there isn't a simple "kit" with the necessary parts available. Seems like a no brainer. I'd buy a bearing set just to have another in reserve but I keep tacking on little things here and there on this build and it's getting increasingly out of budget ;) (those red cranks were just asking me to buy them). Thanks for the help and I'll let you know what I find out.

amen to that. my budget build turned out to be not so budget :mad: looks like i'll have to buy that kit :crap:

just ordered the sram bb30 kit. :mad:

oldpotatoe
08-24-2012, 08:06 AM

I have an idea...a BB shell that's threaded on both sides, pretty good sized, maybe about 68mm in width(or 70 maybe), and then design a BB that just threads in....whadoyathink?? Ya think it'll work?

For Aaron, up there.....BB30 bearings(and PFBB30), like the ones from FSA and sram, even the ceramic ones, are really poor. Ride a few times in the wet and they are history.

I take the bearing seal off when new and squirt a bunch of grease in there, even the ceramic ones, to try to help their reliability but altho they have 'seals', they aren't sealed.

The frames with drop in bearings are particularly poor since you don't have many options.

brando
08-24-2012, 09:53 AM
I really like your idea of threaded bb shells. Does it translate into mandarin?