PDA

View Full Version : It's gettin' colder

Bud
09-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Well, Fall is here. I got ready to leave this morning and knew it was pretty cool outside, but when I looked at the temperature it was 36! I wanted to wait until it reached 40 before I rode into work, but went ahead and bundled up and took off. It was a chilly ride in. I need warmer toe warmers . . .

No worries though- it's supposed to be 70 or so here today. I love this fall weather, but it's a sure sign that the riding time is becoming limited.

It was also my first commute on my new Fierte- lots of fun coming down the big hill.

weisan
09-29-2005, 10:34 AM
A cold front came in yesterday night. 106 yesterday, 70 this morning - in Austin Texas. Went for a short morning sprint (less than 30 mins) on the bike, came back, took the whole family out for a nice little stroll in the neighborhood to enjoy the cool weather outside.

Keith A
09-29-2005, 10:37 AM
Yes it was a little cooler this morning on my pre-dawn interval workout. The temperature was all the way down to 70° and thought that I really should have put on my DeFeet Un•D•Shurt Tank this morning :p

spiderman
09-29-2005, 10:42 AM
i feel your pain...
...33 degrees on my morning commute.
wool socks, assos bib tights, a long sleeve jacket and ear warmers
left me feeling slightly frozen to start
but comfortable on my arrival.
...do i really want to commute all winter?

bcm119
09-29-2005, 10:56 AM
I was camping in the high desert of central Oregon last weekend. The forecast was for a 20% chance of a shower and a high of 60. We woke up in a very dark tent, and discovered there was 3 inches of snow on it, with more coming down hard. They really messed up that forecast.

coylifut
09-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Yes it was a little cooler this morning on my pre-dawn interval workout. The temperature was all the way down to 70° and thought that I really should have put on my DeFeet Un•D•Shurt Tank this morning :p

any particular reason for doing intervals in September? Do you have an event coming up? You must to be doing pre dawn interval workouts. You got my respect.

Ken Robb
09-29-2005, 11:34 AM
we are having a warm spell--mid 70s at the beach. I've got new wheels on the Legend and new gruppo on the Waterford so I can't decide which one to test ride more.

Keith A
09-29-2005, 11:34 AM
coylifut -- No particular event coming up, just wanting to stay in good enough shape to ride with the fast group on Saturdays that include some Cat 1/2's, elite triathletes and semi-pro mountain bikers. I find that doing intervals really helps me when we are chasing down a break or trying to close a gap. Since we have very mild winters here in Florida, it seems that one of the various groups are always "in season" and therefore they are in racing form and ready to hammer.

Too Tall
09-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Actually I can't wait! The fall weather means I can rest, relax....ride with my friends and TALK...what a concept :) Cool weather means I can start playing the how-many-leafs-can-I-squish-in-a-line game ;)

rhg
09-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Last Monday I rode out and almost got chilly: for the first time since I got here five weeks ago, the temperature had broached 75. (At 6am.) But by 8 it was back to normal, in the 90s, and by noon it'd reached the high of 107.

We're supposed to get cooler temperatures at some point during Ramadan (which begins around Oct. 5).

Oh, right, I'm now in the United Arab Emirates :hello: ... and the roads here can be pretty damned nice.

spiderman
09-29-2005, 12:59 PM
at 53 degrees...
my fingers are SLOW
on the keyboard
as i cool down
and my extremities
warm up.

Fixed
09-29-2005, 02:16 PM
bro don't you know Fla is the home of the winter champions.cheers :beer:

Ray
09-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Actually I can't wait! The fall weather means I can rest, relax....ride with my friends and TALK...what a concept :)
It's a little known secret that it's actually possible to ride like this YEAR ROUND! Not many people do it and it may be illegal to talk about it on the internet, but it really is possible to do.

-Ray

ClutchCargo
09-30-2005, 07:56 AM
bro don't you know Fla is the home of the winter champions.cheers :beer:

Fla is the home of cat 2 climbs the rest of us call "overpasses"

:D

Fixed
09-30-2005, 08:39 AM
bro C.C. you dig Keith Haring? He was a hip dude .i.m.h.o. bro come down to Fl. in Dec. some guys are going like it's June. cheers