PDA

View Full Version : LBS can't get HED Belgium rims!

d_douglas
08-22-2012, 05:51 PM
OK, so after a year of convincing myself to have a set of King R45's built up on some nice 23mm rims, my LBS has informed me that the Canadian distributor of HED Belgiums has no stock!! They said it would be a two month wait to get these rims again.

I am not desperate for new wheels to be honest, so should I wait, or should I go with another rim? The obvious choice is the Velocity A23, but there is also the H Plus Son Archetype and possibly the Stans Alpha 400. Any others?

I am a 200lb recreational rider. Without King wheels.

tuscanyswe
08-22-2012, 06:02 PM
OK, so after a year of convincing myself to have a set of King R45's built up on some nice 23mm rims, my LBS has informed me that the Canadian distributor of HED Belgiums has no stock!! They said it would be a two month wait to get these rims again.

I am not desperate for new wheels to be honest, so should I wait, or should I go with another rim? The obvious choice is the Velocity A23, but there is also the H Plus Son Archetype and possibly the Stans Alpha 400. Any others?

I am a 200lb recreational rider. Without King wheels.

You should wait douglas!

Compromises usually ends up in the classifields and youve been waiting for these for far to long to compromise. I used to buy a crazy amount of bike gear and slowly upg to what i really wanted. For me atleast it was just alot more expensive than to get what i wanted from the start.

Cant you source the rims elsewhere and get the shop to build them? Theres some 28hole belgiums on ebay btw

FlashUNC
08-22-2012, 06:12 PM
I've got a set of the HEDs, but the A23 is the same ball of wax.

I wouldn't wait.

MattTuck
08-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Some wheel builders I've talked to say the HEDs are over-rated and the A23s are actually better rims. Others say the opposite. The advantage of the A23s is that you can get them in black, alloy and white (i think).

All this boils down to there probably being little or no difference once the wheels get fully built up.

jlwdm
08-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Seems like some of the wheel builders liked the HEDs better but now that HED has restricted sales to a many of the wheel builders the wheel builders like the A23s better.

Jeff

pavel
08-22-2012, 06:27 PM
i think a23 is better for a heavier rider anyway.

BCS
08-22-2012, 06:44 PM
I got mine here: http://www.wheelbuilder.com/rims/

miguel
08-22-2012, 06:47 PM
no
no
no A23s, not the same
different alloy

Get Architypes
Or wait for the Heds

(get architypes)

d_douglas
08-22-2012, 07:08 PM
It seems the Archetypes do not have eyelets - is this bad for a heavy rider? The builder is an expert, so it will not be a problem with build quality.

ultraman6970
08-22-2012, 08:45 PM
kinlin rims are pretty good too.

rice rocket
08-22-2012, 09:10 PM
BikeHubStore C472w rims are pretty good too. I like how mine have built up (haven't ridden them yet). They come in slightly heavier, but have a better aero profile if that matters to you.

Brandon's great to deal with too.

d_douglas
08-23-2012, 12:31 AM
It seems the Archetypes do not have eyelets - is this bad for a heavy rider? The builder is an expert, so it will not be a problem with build quality.

Can anyone here speak to this issue? If I weigh 200lbs, and want durable wheels, should eyeletted rims be mandatory?

The shop dude like these H + Son Archetypes, but he weighs no more than 140lbs, I would guess :(

echelon_john
08-23-2012, 06:12 AM
eyelets not necessary for a strong wheel for you.

Gothard
08-23-2012, 06:23 AM
Hey Darren,
How long have you been waiting for these wheels? Is another 2 months too much to wait to get what you really want? Can you get the rims on the web, with the wheelbuilder's agreement?

oldpotatoe
08-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Can anyone here speak to this issue? If I weigh 200lbs, and want durable wheels, should eyeletted rims be mandatory?

The shop dude like these H + Son Archetypes, but he weighs no more than 140lbs, I would guess :(

NO...well made non eyeletted rims, if built properly, are designed to be non eye letted rims. 'V' shape rims most often do not have eyelets because it's V shaped.

I have built both HED and A23 and the A23 are very good rims, build very nice, reliable wheels. I have no experience with H+son rims.

FlashUNC
08-23-2012, 08:08 AM

I have both eyeletted and non-eyeletted wheels, and weigh in your ballpark. Have the HED Belgium's, and those are great wheels. Also have a pair of Velocity Escapes. Non eyeletted, have been every bit as reliable as the HEDs.

d_douglas
08-23-2012, 12:03 PM
I think the HEDs are my destiny. I will sit it out and wait for them to arrive.

The LBS said it could inquire with the US distributor as well, so we will see how it goes.

My only exception (aside fr maybe A23s) would be IF DT came out with a wide rim. Does anyone know if they have such a thing, or if it is in the works? I know they have the TK540 touring rims, but those are too heavy for a Speedvagen, IMO.

Thanks for the advice, folks. . . . . . . .

FuelForThought
08-23-2012, 02:53 PM
FWIW, I spoke to one of the top wheelbuilders in the nation yesterday (Troy Watson @Fairwheelbikes) and after cutting up HED C2 and H+Son archetype rims, he thought the H+Son may very well be the manufacturer of HED C2 rims. The profile is identical except for the fact that the H+Son ends in a sharp angle inside and the C2 is rounded.

I have talked to a few people with first hand experience of the H+Son and they all agree that the Archetype is better finished than the C2 and rides just the same.

My next wheels= Archetype/Alchemy.

reggiebaseball
08-23-2012, 05:02 PM
This guy has some HED rims for sale if you like:
http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f3/hed-c2-tubular-rims-24h-28h-new-28647.html

d_douglas
08-23-2012, 05:56 PM
But I am looking for clinchers in 32hole.

Cheers...

BCS
08-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Read my prior post. Wheelbuilder.com has exactly what you are looking for: 32 hole c2 clincher rims. Search is over.