PDA

View Full Version : Computrainer VS Spin Classes

pjmsj21
08-22-2012, 01:08 PM
My wife and I have been members of a local gym mainly for the spin classes that they offer. We have participated for a couple of years with very consistent attendance during the fall winter and spring months and very inconsistent naturally during the summer. During the fall, winter and sprng we usually do spin three days a week. We use very little else and the monthly fee is $180 per month.

We are considering purchasing one possibly two computrainers as an alternative. We have great space so set up this equipment that isnt being used. We are serious recreational cyclists but not racers, although like everyone we would like to be faster and fitter riders. The cost of the computrainer equipment equates to around a year and a half of spin classes. But there are also some savings in time (40 minutes) and gas getting to the classes and back.

My point in this post is to try and get input from anyone experienced with computrainers and give us an idea as to how the computrainer experience compares with a good spin class?

I know some will have the advice of getting winter riding clothing which we have tried and while it works for many it doesnt work for us and that is not an option we are considering.

Thanks

Pat

christian
08-22-2012, 01:30 PM
The training is equivalent or better, if you follow a structured plan.

It's harder to get motivated when you don't have pumping music and a jumpy aerobics instructor screaming at you.

AngryScientist
08-22-2012, 01:47 PM
first off, $180 a month seems like robbery for a gym membership.

for me, variety is the spice of life in the winter months. i agree with christian in that using a real road bike and a structured plan can yield great results training over the winter, but the first question should be: what are the results you're looking for??

if they are simply to stay in good shape, keep the weight down and have fun, then consider a plan with some variety. just this past winter i bought a second hand rowing machine, and i have a stationary trainer set up in my basement. between those two and running outside when the weather allows, it keeps my motivation higher without getting bored.

if your goals are bike specific, consider just stationary trainers, and buying a coaching plan...

54ny77
08-22-2012, 01:52 PM
spin class, for the win. ;)

http://moodyeyeview.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/spin-class.jpg

1happygirl
08-22-2012, 01:59 PM
You are leaning more to computrainer from your post in times savings. As far as computrainer and yr # crunching if u stick with it u have paid for it in what u said was a little over a year? Computrainers have resale value so u could try it for that time and if u don't like it then sell it (on the forum of course lol)
also, it's not like yr alone u will have each other to motivate yourselves

beeatnik
08-22-2012, 02:09 PM
$180 a month and not a spin boutique:

http://pedalspinstudio.com/

Yikesssssssssssssssssssssss.

Now I'm more motivated than ever to take advantage of the spin classes at LA Fitness. 25 bones monthly.

Pete Mckeon
08-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Computrainer was a good one for me and others love "classes" better.

At that price of your gym they should have yoga and pilates,,,,They are both good for cycling for they strengthen the core.

ALso weight machines at the gym will help you with
leg muscles.

There is no good and no poorly bad either or ---unless it is doing nothing.

The one that gets you to exercise is the best one:)

pete

Fixed
08-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Spin class are for singles or mid life crisis guys. IMHO
I went to hundreds at the Y when they first came out though
Cheers

Jaq
08-22-2012, 02:34 PM
My concern with spinning class - and I've joined my wife a few times - is that the workout is just go-go-go-go-go. The instructor says "it's interval training," but what that means is "go fast for part of the song, slow down during the chorus." There's no doubt it's burning calories, but I'm not so sure about strength gains, threshold gains, etc. Improved performance comes about due more to weight loss (and resulting power/weight ratio). That's a legitimate gain, obviously, but I'd like to gain that as well as lactate threshold, power, etc.

My intervals (on the bike) are much more structured. A slight incline, usually about 100 rpm turning a 43/19-21. 2 mins on, 3 off; 3 on, 4 off; 4 on, 5 off; repeat 3 times or till lunch covers shoes, whichever comes first.

christian
08-22-2012, 02:38 PM
My gym has 3 spin bikes on the floor. We "serious" cyclists use those all the time. Sometimes I go to spin class for fun. Some times I go to spin class and just do my own thing - they scream and bounce and jump; I do threshold for 45 mins. (This sometimes feels rude so then I go use the ones on the floor).

beeatnik
08-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Don't know a single person who's lost more than 5 pounds from spin. Even the ones who attend classes religiously. In fact, one of the instructors at my gym is about 40 pounds overweight.

pjmsj21
08-22-2012, 02:54 PM
As the OP let me clarify a few things. First the $180 per month is for two people and they do offer a host of other things yoga, swimming and classes, and really everything under the sun, most of which we just dont take advantage of. It is more atheltic club than gym ie restaurant, parking included in a downtown area. So if it is used it isnt a bad value. It is just become more of a hassle for us to get dressed, drive, spin, use the weights and drive home.

So we understand what we get with our spin classes but what I am trying to understand is what the computrain experience is all about?

wallymann
08-22-2012, 03:05 PM
there's no way that a spin class can consistently fit into an individualized training program and deliver quality results for a given amount of saddle-time. and if you have to "do your own thing" in a spin class, then why bother going to the class at all?

of course there is the social aspect that a spin class offers for anyone so inclined, but when it comes to quality training youre better off doing it on your own.

i'd like some of the pedaling analysis of a CT, but the cost doesnt justify that little bit of curiosity i have. so i just use a kurt kinetic which IMO is the BEST resistance trainer on the market.

slidey
08-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Computrainers > Spin class

Also, as others have already pointed out...doing core workouts, weight training, etc are obvious options.

For what it's worth, I've gathered from enough hearsay of serious cyclists around me that spin class is the bottom of the pile...it's just fun (if that), nothing more.

christian
08-22-2012, 03:33 PM
it's just fun (if that), nothing more.Nothing wrong with that, though. If you're not training for specific results, no harm in just going for fun. And spin class, with the right instructor and the right music can be fun.

fiamme red
08-22-2012, 03:38 PM
$180 a month and not a spin boutique:

http://pedalspinstudio.com/

Yikesssssssssssssssssssssss.

Now I'm more motivated than ever to take advantage of the spin classes at LA Fitness. 25 bones monthly.That's cheap compared to Soul Cycle:

http://www.soul-cycle.com/reserve-east/index.cfm?action=Reserve.viewSeries ($32 per class)

54ny77
08-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Their UES location was around the block from where I lived.

My goodness..the visuals....

That's cheap compared to Soul Cycle:

http://www.soul-cycle.com/reserve-east/index.cfm?action=Reserve.viewSeries ($32 per class)

illdthedj
08-22-2012, 04:06 PM
i do spin class with the wife once a week.
i burn between 800-1000 calories each time, so its definitely good for something.

false_Aest
08-22-2012, 04:11 PM
if youre self motivated... computrainer.

otherwise rely on yanni to get you through visualizing the climb.

slidey
08-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Oh definitely, nothing wrong with having fun...but to me, a trainer/rollers session hasn't ever been fun so a comparison that the OP had in mind between the two activities was misleading.

Nothing wrong with that, though. If you're not training for specific results, no harm in just going for fun. And spin class, with the right instructor and the right music can be fun.

beeatnik
08-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Their UES location was around the block from where I lived.

My goodness..the visuals....

I would imagine tasty but can't be better than Cardio Barre:

http://www.cardiobarre.com/

I used to regularly have breakfast at a restaurant across the street from one of their locations. I had to stop. Couldn't concentrate on eating and if I was there with my lady, I'd be in trouble for the rest of the afternoon. And I'm not easily distracted.

Question for y'all. Why does that annoying TDF computhing commercial show a pro crashing on a descent? Is that a type of negative reinforcement?

christian
08-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Oh definitely, nothing wrong with having fun...but to me, a trainer/rollers session hasn't ever been fun so a comparison that the OP had in mind between the two activities was misleading.

Yes, but that's also sort of the point - I get the sense that the OP trains over the winter to stay in shape, not to murder at Battenkill.

I do not think I could maintain a particularly strict regimen on a trainer without a structured training plan and a specific goal. Because riding trainers just sucks.

OTOH, spinning doesn't suck quite as hard. So for "casual" training, it might just be better.

54ny77
08-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Agreed.

For just putzing around, a regular wind or mag trainer is fine. I have a Cycleops and it's always been handy and super easy to use when needed.

For serious training, a computrainer is swank to have. I have one and have not figured out how to use the damned thing properly. Too complicated for my luddite sensibilities/patience. One day I will figure it out...maybe this upcoming winter...

Yes, but that's also sort of the point - I get the sense that the OP trains over the winter to stay in shape, not to murder at Battenkill.

I do not think I could maintain a particularly strict regimen on a trainer without a structured training plan and a specific goal. Because riding trainers just sucks.

OTOH, spinning doesn't suck quite as hard. So for "casual" training, it might just be better.

Waldo
08-22-2012, 06:34 PM
There are three power-based cycling gyms in downtown San Francisco, one using Computrainers (and your bike on it) and the other two Cyclops power meter stationary bikes. Get the best of both worlds...

pjmsj21
08-22-2012, 08:16 PM

This is more to my (OP) point. Spin classes while perhaps not productive for top level competitors, do at least provide a reasonable aerobic work out and arent as boring as a trainer alone.

My interest in Computrainer is that the videos provide some reasonable distraction as opposed to just a trainer at home in a room with music and get you closer to the experience of riding outdoors.....or so they claim.

slidey
08-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Here's where I'm a little lost.

When you say you find trainers boring but spin not as much, I'm going to assume you're looking for a fun way of replicating the cycling motion indoors, right? I'm further assuming due to your lack of enthusiasm in core workouts or weight training that you aren't necessarily looking to build on riding form for the upcoming year, right?

If it's yes on the above two, then spinning fits the bill.

I've never used a Computrainer however, and I don't think it can be much more fun than a stationary trainer. To me, it's another gizmo that has more distractions in form of numbers, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love numbers...but only to mull over after my ride.

This is more to my (OP) point. Spin classes while perhaps not productive for top level competitors, do at least provide a reasonable aerobic work out and arent as boring as a trainer alone.

My interest in Computrainer is that the videos provide some reasonable distraction as opposed to just a trainer at home in a room with music and get you closer to the experience of riding outdoors.....or so they claim.

pjmsj21
08-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Here's where I'm a little lost.

When you say you find trainers boring but spin not as much, I'm going to assume you're looking for a fun way of replicating the cycling motion indoors, right? I'm further assuming due to your lack of enthusiasm in core workouts or weight training that you aren't necessarily looking to build on riding form for the upcoming year, right?

If it's yes on the above two, then spinning fits the bill.

I've never used a Computrainer however, and I don't think it can be much more fun than a stationary trainer. To me, it's another gizmo that has more distractions in form of numbers, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love numbers...but only to mull over after my ride.

In response it is actually yes to the first and no to the second statement as we plan to as we have in the past augment spinning in some form with weight training using free weights.

My hope is that because the computrainer sycnchronizes with road video if you will, it will be more interesting than just not looking at anything other than the wall in front of you.

gone
08-23-2012, 12:00 AM
After reading through the responses to the thread it appears to me that no one has addressed the central issues the OP has raised: how does a Computrainer compare with a spin class in terms of training benefit and how does it compare with rollers or a stationary trainer in terms of maintaining interest.

Disclaimer: I have rollers, a stationary trainer and a Computrainer. I've never taken a spin class but I've seen and used a few of the spinervals tapes which I assume is the same sort of thing.

As far as training benefit is concerned the Computrainer outperforms them all with a structured plan. Even without a plan, riding some of the real course videos (Ironman Wisconsin e.g.) will give you one heck of a workout. I've also developed some of my own "courses" (very simple really) to target specific things e.g., 4 minutes of a 5% grade followed by 1 minute of level ground repeated for 40 miles ridden in a fairly hard gear to work on leg strength. A "spinning course" where I focus on pedal stroke (I use spinscan on the computrainer) and high cadence, etc. I vary these over the course of several rides and it does help both in maintaining fitness and interest.

How does the CT compare with a stationary trainer and staring at the wall? It's better but it's not exactly like you're going to feel like you're outside with birds singing. Bottom line is you're indoors and the "distractions" aren't the same as riding outside so you get to focus on how miserable you are. My longest session on the CT is 2.5 hours but an 1 to 1.5 hours is more usual.

For me, the key thing, especially relative to the question you asked, is that I don't need to go anywhere or pay anything (else). I go downstairs, crank some tunes and either do one of the real course videos or one of my own courses if I want to do a specific kind of training. Focusing on pedal stroke, watts, heart rate and the other "racers" are welcome distractions and also pretty good training aids.

Hope this helps, if not fire away with another question and I'll give you the benefit (questionable!) of my experience.

chuckred
08-23-2012, 12:59 AM
8 years ago I was traveling 4-5 days a week for work. I gained 20 pounds. I decided to fix things, and started going to a spin class 2 xs a week instead of drinks and steak dinners. I lost the 20 pounds, and with spinning as my main midweek training (with long rides on weekends) successfully won my first 12 hour belt buckle at Leadville.

It may not be ideal, but 2 days a week of high intensity is better than nothing, and I don't think your heart, lungs, or legs know the difference.

Not trying to promote spinning vs other options, but I disagree that it doesn't have value, and is a good alternative to bad weather, darkness, or no- biked ness....

It helped that the instructor was a focused cyclist, and some classes are goofy. I tink they have a place...

Ti Designs
08-23-2012, 01:24 AM
Don't know a single person who's lost more than 5 pounds from spin. Even the ones who attend classes religiously. In fact, one of the instructors at my gym is about 40 pounds overweight.

Does your gym have golden arches at the front and a drive-thru window around the side?

dekindy
08-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Does your gym have golden arches at the front and a drive-thru window around the side?

Slightly sarcastic but may be right on point. When I was in my 20"s I started exercising and lost many inches but no weight. Quit going to fast food restaurants for lunch and instead went to local grocery store that had a deli and home style cooked meals. Started eating a meal that included vegetables and no sodas; started losing weight and got back down to my college weight.

zap
08-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Computrainer allows you to focus on your program.

I don't know about others, but I prefer to be in the pain locker by myself. If I ever get serious again with my cycling, cat 2 power to weight specs are my motivation.

malcolm
08-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Didn't read the entire thread, but I think the computrainer coupled with erg video are the best stationary training equipment I've ever used. Talk to Paul Smelders of erg video and he'll get you set up with his software to run the vids on your computrainer. It's still stationary but it makes it by far more tolerable and it works flawlessly. Spin class you have no control over, you do what the instructor has planned. Erg video you can do a million type of intervals, climb the tourmalet or just an easy spin, whatever you choose and intensity is adjustable on the fly, or leave set based on your threshold.

Tom
08-23-2012, 10:04 AM
If you're serious about riding and have focus, Computrainer. The add-on that allows you to make routes from DeLorme mapping software is a great idea, too.

If you want to listen to music you can't stand while doing aimless flapping at the pedals, spin class.

fiamme red
08-23-2012, 10:10 AM
If you want to listen to music you can't stand while doing aimless flapping at the pedals, spin class.That really sums up what a spin class is. :)

pjmsj21
08-23-2012, 04:38 PM
That really sums up what a spin class is. :)

Having taken some spin classes while travelling that live up to this description, classes in our club are certainly several steps above this.

That being said, we have made the decision to move on to the Computrainer and set some agressive goals. Three years ago we completed Ramrod a 152 mile one day ride and our goal now will be to complete that ride with a faster post-computrain time.

Thanks for all of the great input especially from actual computrainer users.....you sealed the deal.

Pat Mc