PDA

View Full Version : Lake Como

malcolm
08-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Leaving the end of next week for Lake Como and probably a couple days in Milan. Won't have a bike and honestly not in good enough shape for anything serious except maybe downhill.

Any must see or do things in the area? I've been to italy but not this area. Thanks in advance.

bocarider
08-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Trattoria Milanese - Via Santa Marta, 11, Milan (be careful, there are two restaurants with the same name, so go by the address). Order the Risotto Milanese and the fried veal cutlet (sorry vegans and animal rights types).

Do not miss gelato at Chocolat Gelataria - Via Boccaccio 9, 20121 Milan, Italy. The variety of chocolate gelatos is mind blowing.

malcolm
08-22-2012, 10:12 AM
that's what I'm looking for thanks

MattTuck
08-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Check out the Funicular in Como. (like a slanted trolly to go up the hill). It's a fun little trip. I bought my dad a tie in como when I was there. There's some decent shopping if that's your thing. Check out the Sforza castle, and also make sure to turn your heel on the bull in the main shopping center in the city (forget the name, just doing this from memory), also the Duomo (big cathedral).

excuse spelling errors, I did not look this stuff up, I am just doing it from memory.

chismog
08-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Madonna di Ghisallo! But you already knew this right?

I would also take the slow ferry from Como (or wherever you are staying) to hit all the spots on the lake. It's a couple hours and honestly one of the most beautiful places on earth. Ideally take one of the old boats (no cars), and lounge on the sun deck.

For a fun sunny day diversion there are a couple nice Lido beach areas in Menaggio and Bellano. I'm sure there are others too.

veggieburger
08-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Pizzeria Spontini in Milan!! Best in the world...really and truly. You can get a slice or a slice and a half, only margherita, and the lineup is out the door every night. You must go.

johnmdesigner
08-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Find a restaurant with fish from the lake in Bellagio.
Have a Negroni in the Galleria in Milan.
Sit back and watch the world go by. No need to be a tourist there.
Wish I was going too.:p

johnmdesigner
08-22-2012, 11:24 AM
God knows you'll need a bike shop to visit...:rolleyes:
GRAN CICLISMO shop on Via Folli.

malcolm
08-22-2012, 09:03 PM
just wanted to bump this back to the top in case anyone had anything else.
Thanks for the info thus far.

rbtmcardle
08-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Never been to Como, If you are interested in Lake Garda then I have a bunch of places to recommend.. Typically you can just wander and find some small out of the way place and you will find very good food and people. I generally just try to avoid the place that have the most tourists.

Good luck and have fun, you really can't go wrong.

Toddtwenty2
08-22-2012, 11:31 PM
If in Milan, I second having a negroni at the Campari storefront in the galleria. Watch the pretty ladies walk by and relax. The top of the duomo is also nice. I believe this is one of very few duomos with a whit facade.

There are also some very nice gardens on Lake Culminating, though the name escapes me.

Relax, eat, drink. This is how to experience Italy. Preferably, this is done with a significant other.

poff
08-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Short drive from Milan and you can do Gavia and Mortirolo in one loop.

Polyglot
08-23-2012, 12:35 AM
God knows you'll need a bike shop to visit...:rolleyes:
GRAN CICLISMO shop on Via Folli.

If you were not aware, this is the newest iteration of the Cinelli store in Milan. Cino used to ply his wares from this address.

gianni
08-23-2012, 12:41 AM
Visit Casati and take the train to Bergamo citta alta. Bianchi is in nearby treviglio.

cheers,