PDA

View Full Version : Air Caddy Box on Amtrak

Ahneida Ride
08-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Any one ever use an Air Caddy box to ship a bike on Amtrak?

http://www.aircaddy.com/

I've heard a lot of good things about this box.

Ahneida Ride
08-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Any one have any experience with Amtrak shipping bikes ?

rugbysecondrow
08-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Are you shipping the bike with you or without you? I know some people have used Amtrak when riding the Gap or NCR trail from Washington DC to Pittsburgh and they have been fine with them.

What do you have planned?

jr59
08-22-2012, 09:26 AM
No idea!

But please let us know how this works/goes.

fiamme red
08-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Many (or most) Amtrak stations will not accept shipments. I know that Newark Penn Station does.

Amtrak certainly doesn't publicize this service very well.

Have you considered Greyhound? They have a similar service, probably with more flexibility.

that guy
08-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Amtrak won't ship bikes, someone has to be on the train with the bike(s). Some friends and I had one person accompany six bikes.

The Air Caddy case is a no-go. They wouldn't take it because of the unusual shape. Makes packing in the luggage car more difficult, they said. The Amtrak bike boxes are HUGE, and rarely do you have to do more than turn the handlebars.

Trains are a great way to travel with your bike. I recommend it.

Ahneida Ride
08-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Chicago to NY ... one way.

the bike goes out by car.

I just called Chicago and NY baggage .... they said they will take it (air caddy box)
for 5 frns. I am on the train.

Guy in Chicago was real nice !

So ..... do I believe them ?

Ahneida Ride
08-22-2012, 03:26 PM
They said the place bikes next to the wall and then place suitcases
next to the box to keep it from moving.

Andrewlcox
08-22-2012, 04:11 PM
That box looks to be designed very well. I would consider using one for a high dollar bike but a free box from the LBS is tempting and would save $100.

On a side note or slight thread drift, is there a perfect box for just a frame and fork? Maybe a kiddie bike box from the LBS?

Andy

Ahneida Ride
08-22-2012, 04:45 PM
That box looks to be designed very well. I would consider using one for a high dollar bike but a free box from the LBS is tempting and would save $100.

On a side note or slight thread drift, is there a perfect box for just a frame and fork? Maybe a kiddie bike box from the LBS?

Andy

125 frn is far cheaper then a damaged frame !
and the box is reusable.

I just hope Amtrak accepts it ..... They claim that they will accept
your own box.

Ahneida Ride
08-22-2012, 04:47 PM

Andy

yes and I suspect you can purchase one at your LBS..

Builders buy them in bulk .. 50 - 100 at a shot

MarleyMon
08-22-2012, 08:18 PM

I just called Chicago and NY baggage .... they said they will take it (air caddy box)
for 5 frns. I am on the train.

Guy in Chicago was real nice !

So ..... do I believe them ?
my pal's son took 2 bikes across country on Amtrak with no problem for that price. We got a couple boxes from the lbs and they made it from South Bend to CHi to SF and back in good shape.

that guy
08-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Just be ready with a backup plan when the guy at the terminal says "no" to the Air Caddy box. Without an official policy on giant cheese wedge-shaped boxes, it only matters what the conductor says. They told us "no".

Ahneida Ride
08-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Just be ready with a backup plan when the guy at the terminal says "no" to the Air Caddy box. Without an official policy on giant cheese wedge-shaped boxes, it only matters what the conductor says. They told us "no".

Was that on a train with a baggage car ?

The Lake Shore Limited has a baggage car.
Bike goes in the baggage car.