PDA

View Full Version : Tom Danielson has come a long way

wallymann
08-21-2012, 10:55 AM
used to be i couldnt stand the guy. immense talent but never able to get it done on the world stage, he always seemed a little dopey, a little vacuous between the ears, never a particularly thoughtful comment, and definitely never confident.

he's been thu alot of ups-and-downs the last few years and it seems to have done him well, along with becoming a father and getting a top-10 in the TdF last year.

his post-race comments after stage-1 with bobke yesterday was a treat: insightful commentary from inside the peloton (at the front in particular) and a self-belief that was palpable.

good on ya, tommy-d!

FlashUNC
08-21-2012, 11:21 AM
I know this'll probably get slagged by some of the folks here, but I think you have to give a fair amount of credit to Vaughters on this reclamation project.

Lot of folks (myself included), considered Tommy D's pro career DOA after that string of injuries and illnesses/maladies he fought for years. Great seeing him bounce back the way he has.

harryblack
08-21-2012, 01:46 PM
bounce back to what? 11th place in the Tour of Utah at the age of 34? i don't mind people "liking" Danielson-- i don't, and never did, not even when Lance took him to the Tour de Georgia-- but amount of attention this guy gets (not from my esteemed Paceline colleagues but the English language cycling press) is way beyond his distinctly underwhelming results.

Someone will pop up and cite his 9th place Vuelta, 8th place TdF but exactly what effect on the competition for ANY jersey did he have? NONE. Zero.

And for someone with his freakish physical gifts (has anyone ever credited his training ethos or mental agility?), that's both UNimpressive and annoying when ever year-- every three months even-- we have to hear how he's ready, has it together now after x, y, z obstacles/excuses...

I do agree what JV deserves credit (or blame) for indulging Danielson but it's time to move on considering the guy a potential GT podium threat, let alone "leader."

a Garmin rider who is IMPRESSIVE for his age, competition and, today, the crosswinds

15. Christopher FROOME, Sky, at 1:04
16. Winner ANACONA GOMEZ, Lampre-ISD, at 1:04
17. Maxime MONFORT, RadioShack-Nissan, at 1:04
18. Joaquin RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Katusha, at 1:04
19. Sergio Luis HENAO MONTOYA, Sky, at 1:04
20. Kevin SEELDRAEYERS, Astana, at 1:04
21. Alberto CONTADOR VELASCO, Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank, at 1:04
22. Robert GESINK, Rabobank, at 1:04
23. Andrew TALANSKY, Garmin-Sharp, at 1:04

I know this'll probably get slagged by some of the folks here, but I think you have to give a fair amount of credit to Vaughters on this reclamation project.

Lot of folks (myself included), considered Tommy D's pro career DOA after that string of injuries and illnesses/maladies he fought for years. Great seeing him bounce back the way he has.

Fixed
08-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Pack fodder ? maybe but he is damn good and he is our pack fodder :)
Cheers