PDA

View Full Version : US Pro Challenge -- Stage 1 with Zabriskie

Keith A
08-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Did anyone catch stage 1 of the US Pro Challenge yesterday? I was in the other room and heard Phil say to turn your head (and of course I had to come look) because they were showing Dave Zabriskie puking.

This was posted on CyclingNews about what happened...
The break lost a rider as David Zabriskie cracked spectacularly, upchucking his breakfast on the pavement. Prior to entering the town of Rico at 156.2km the Garmin-Sharp rider was barely hanging on to the back of the peloton.

"I was going pretty hard, pretty deep," Zabriskie told Cyclingnews. "And then the last super deep effort – I let the group split and then bridged up to those guys – that was pretty hard to get to them. I was planning to pull them and I finally, I don't know. The body said stop and my spirit said you're puking. I'll be all right."

We have a local rider who is a really strong guy with some impressive palmarès...which include just recently finishing the Leadville 100 in under ten hours (3rd time doing this event), twice winning his age group in the 24-Hours of Adrenalin Solo MTB World Championships, won many local road and mountain bike races and even competed in last years RAAM. However, I've seen him toss his cookies a few times...once even on a guy during the sprint at the end of our Saturday ride.

So I was curious if anyone has experienced this personally? I have felt nauseous before, but never lost it.

rice rocket
08-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Silly Vegans.:eek:

Okay, I have nothing to add, but some people push themselves harder than others. If you haven't lost your cookies, you haven't found your limit. :)

Lovetoclimb
08-21-2012, 09:27 AM
My university rowing coach used to say if we didn't projectile vomit or pass out after crossing the finish line we did not push hard enough.

LJohnny
08-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Funny, my college rowing coach used to say "You cannot make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t" I always wondered if it was because of all the puking.

wallymann
08-21-2012, 10:16 AM
just once, in college, doing a particularly tough sprint-workout after eating a couple breakfast sammiches from wendy's.

barfed at the side of the road and lay there for a while collecting myself. even had a motorist stop and ask "are you OK?"

got myself sorted and resumed the ride.

So I was curious if anyone has experienced this personally? I have felt nauseous before, but never lost it.

thashicray
08-21-2012, 10:22 AM
I'll can honestly say I've "talked to ralph" while riding. A couple years ago some buddies and I did a Gran Fondo and during the last 10 miles I left something behind on the roads...twice. It wasn't so much from exertion, but mainly from the crap food that they served us at the SAG stops.

Jawn P
08-21-2012, 10:46 AM
I've got an queasy stomach, so yep, many times.

tiretrax
08-21-2012, 11:39 AM
I've gone hypoglicemic, but I have never puked. I would have preferred that.

bikerboy337
08-21-2012, 11:46 AM
I've never thrown up while biking, even though i've push myself to my limits plenty of times... but I almost always dry heave at the end of a running race (5k or 10K)... did all through my high school x-country career and have continued to do so since then (a long time)... not sure why I dont when i crank on a hill or anything, I certainly have pushed my body to 100% effort on the bike...

beeatnik
08-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Seems to be pretty common at alleycats.

1happygirl
08-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Only the nausea, however, ?blood going away from stomach to muscles, heat etc. =vomiting

yuck. no fun.

54ny77
08-21-2012, 01:58 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Bike/Preview.jpg

My university rowing coach used to say if we didn't projectile vomit or pass out after crossing the finish line we did not push hard enough.

Fixed
08-21-2012, 02:03 PM
I have mostly when I was a runner i remember yellow yuck on my new running shoes and it has happened on the bike when I went into the red zone for too long .
Cheers

dnades
08-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Ate too much for breakfast and blew up on a hill. I knew going up the hill that things were not good as I had pushed too hard to get to the hill but went at the hill as well... felt so much better after puking though. That was last year and the only time I've ever puked on a ride.

BumbleBeeDave
08-21-2012, 03:15 PM
. . . my typical training ride. :rolleyes: :eek: ;)

Where's that animated barfing smiley emoticon when you need it? . . .

BBD

Keith A
08-21-2012, 03:21 PM
. . . my typical training ride. :rolleyes: :eek: ;)

Where's that animated barfing smiley emoticon when you need it? . . .

BBDhttp://www.smileyvault.com/albums/basic/smileyvault-puke.gifhttp://www.liveruckus.com/forum/images/smilies/smileyPuking.gif

Fivethumbs
08-21-2012, 03:28 PM
So let me get this straight...It's not about the bike but it is about the puke? Alrighty then...

Hmmm?
08-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Once, not during a ride, but after...in 105F heat, 10 lb bag on my back and two gears(52/42 x 13)...salt was clearly depleted, but the worst was the constant full body cramps...I was sprawled on the floor, like a scarecrow, and any small movement kickstarted what felt like an ocean wave of cramps...took 12 hrs. before the last of it stopped...projectile was mostly fluids and a banana...first time I've ever felt truly helpless.

Louis
08-22-2012, 12:30 AM
In college I once puked after chugging a pitcher of beer.

rustychisel
08-22-2012, 12:54 AM
pushing yourself hard in hot weather will bring on the Chuck Chunder's for sure. When I used to cycle to university I lived about 6 miles from the city, a long steady uphill all the way. The idea was to push so that you got home before falling off the bike, not during the ride. Many a time I passed out on the back lawn, seeing stars etc.

driving the porcelain bus, not so much

BumbleBeeDave
08-22-2012, 06:02 AM
In college I once puked after chugging a pitcher of beer.

. . . unless you chugged it while riding your bike. :eek: :no:

BBD

oldguy00
08-22-2012, 06:14 AM
Running for me too.
Did a 10km race this past weekend, crossed the line and ran straight through the crowd to the porta-potties, ran behind then and dry heaved 4 times (didn't have any food in my stomach to come up).
So fun.... But got a PB of 41 minutes and change! :) :banana:

Keith A
08-22-2012, 06:20 AM
I watched the NBC coverage of yesterday's stage and they brought up this issue again with Zabriskie and even showed him puking again. Phil commented a couple of times that Dave was ill and Phil was surprised he was in the break away again. From Dave's remarks after Monday's stage, I thought that had just gone too deep in the the red for too long...not that he was sick :confused: