PDA

View Full Version : First ride on single-speed conversion

sc53
09-28-2005, 06:42 PM
The classic DeRosa (mid-80's) I bought on eBay a few weeks ago finally got converted to a fixed/single speed and I went for my first ride tonight after work. I won't be doing too many more rides after work as it was already dark when I got back at 7:10 pm. Anyway, I rode the single speed side of my Surly flip flop hub and really had fun! There was utter silence from the bike as I banged over bumps, holes, gravel, rough pavement, etc. on my local bike trail. Usually the chain is slapping and the cables are banging and there's a lot of commotion down below. I enjoyed the silence. ONly the sound of the water sloshing in my bottle. I know I haven't really had the fixie experience yet because I haven't tried the fixed side of the hub, but so far I agree with all of you who've testified to how much fun it is to simplify your ride. I didn't even give any thought to the few "hills" (short inclines) on the trail, I just stood up near the top if necessary. I like this bike! I am using a 42 Chorus chainring in front and a 16 cog freewheel in back, so nothing too strenuous.

Rapid Tourist
09-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Congratulations SC! :beer: Glad the rig is finished. You will have a ton o' fun, and it only gets easier and more fun. We'll plan a fixed VA ride soon (you can ride singlespeed--to each her own). :)

Fixed
09-28-2005, 07:50 PM
bro once get a fix you are never the same.Cheers :beer:

93legendti
09-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Very cool! I have a wheel with the White Industries Eno (single speed) hub on order. I am going to put it on one of my cross bikes--can't wait!

Smiley
09-29-2005, 07:12 AM
My man Fixed sc53 is a woman and a very nice one at that . SC , go fixed and stop with this free wheel nonsense :banana: you won't go back . great job .