PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hey Dads, Diaper Bags?

Nooch
08-20-2012, 10:21 AM
So I've been looking around for a suitable diaper bag/cary-all for the impending arrival.. I've carried a timbuk2 laptop bag nearly every day for the last 6 years (more or less out of habbit, if I'm not carrying my laptop), so I figured timbuk2 might be the way to go.. they released the Stork (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/stork-diaper-messenger) a little while ago, as a dedicated diaper bag.. But you can't customize it, and it seems that some of the features designed into it are lacking, according to the reviews..

So if I just went ahead and ordered a similar sized bag from timbuk2, a basic messanger, or used my laptop bag, what else would I need for it? Changing pad, for sure (recomendations -- though the reviews say the timbuk2 one is one of the best (but not available separately...)?), some sort of insulated bottle pouch, and what else?

(My laptop bag is showing some wear that might be covered under warranty, so the thought is to send it back and get the credit toward the next purchase..)

crownjewelwl
08-20-2012, 10:26 AM
you don't need a dedicated diaper bag...it is bunch of marketing nonsense

you can simply buy a changing pad and throw it in any other bag

marinoni62
08-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Congrats.

I was going to use a timbuk2 as well, but we got a diaper bag as a gift and have been using that instead. What you will likely need is a bag with a few to many pockets. One to hold diapers, wipes, tissue, spoons, fork, bottles, change pad, baby cream, hand santizer. I am sure there are other items you will need. So there is a lot of little things. Having pockets help keep things organized. Hope this helps and good luck

DreaminJohn
08-20-2012, 10:32 AM
I preferred the "have a separate pocket for everything" approach. In addition to the diaper pad, consider at some point or another you'll be carrying:

-Bottles
-Diapers
-Wipes
-Ointment(s)
-Toys
-Ziploc snacks (Cheerios, etc)
-Sippy cup
-Binky
-Change of clothes
-hat/gloves/mittens

And lots more I'm sure I have forgotten.

We had an earlier version of this:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62134?feat=sr&term=diaper%20bag

Good luck!

vqdriver
08-20-2012, 10:33 AM

For the most part yes. But insulated sections are nice. As are bottle sized pouches so you can shove a hand in there and just grab one without digging around.

FYI. Changing pads included with some of the bags are silly. I just bought a pad I liked and tossed it in a bag I liked.

timto
08-20-2012, 10:34 AM
+1

I just had a bundle with a rubber band - wipes, some extra diapers, ointment that I move from bag to bag as the need arises.

GuyGadois
08-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Not sure about timbuk2 but we had a Lands End one and it was great. But, that was 10 years ago.

Joachim
08-20-2012, 10:39 AM
LLBean stuff rocks. We also used a diaper bag from Jeep for longer trips.

Dave B
08-20-2012, 10:50 AM
I use a North Face backpack. Maybe the "hot shot" or something. PLenty of pockets, changing pad isn't necessary a small blanket will do fine. PLenty of features to make a "daddy bag" fun. I have purchased this bag for all of my male family members who have had kids. Some of the wives prefer it to their bags.

Bottles, wipes, formula, extra set of clothes or two, diapers, toys, and a cellpone to call your wife to get help on what to do.

echelon_john
08-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Why would a dad need a diaper bag? ; )

Andrewlcox
08-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Our first baby is now 16 weeks old. We bought into all that marketing crap and both have fully stocked diaper bags. Guess what, I've never really used mine and my wife basically carries hers as a giant purse.

I think its because we don't stray too far from home but instead make our trips in under 2-3 hours so getting "caught in the rain" hasn't been an issue.

For what's it's worth, I bought a sweet bag with all the accessories from Zappos.com. They have a great selection and the reviews are helpful. We had a $50 credit so decided why not use it towards a diaper bag.

Congratulations and have fun!
Andy

echelon_john
08-20-2012, 11:02 AM
I'll echo: Most of what you think you need, you don't need. There's a whole industry focused on selling to new parents, because it's one of the greatest areas of fear/uncertainty/insecurity in our lives. You don't necessarily need a diaper bag; you need a bag. You'll figure out pretty quickly what you need, aside from the real basics. And there's Amazon Prime for that stuff!

It's a really fun, really exciting, really challenging time. You'll reach new levels of sleep deprivation and frustration, but you'll also meet and start getting to know the new most important person in your life. And that's pretty damn cool.

Ramjm_2000
08-20-2012, 11:07 AM
The military man in me required a purpose built bag for any contingency situation. I used the following bag for my pediatric tactical situations:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/BAG-222

Nooch
08-20-2012, 11:22 AM
so if timbuk2 wants to give me a credit on my laptop bag, then I can get a new custom bag (since I don't carry my laptop anymore) and find a changing pad and something to keep bottles cool... and then have room for my normal crap.. seems to make the most sense..

stusf
08-20-2012, 11:24 AM
You could also check out the Diaper Dude messenger bags, you can find something there similar to Timbuk2 but with change pad etc. included.

MattTuck
08-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Wait till you buy a stroller. I saw some lady on TV hawking a $1,300+ stroller. :eek:

jmoore
08-20-2012, 11:28 AM
I used a camo Diaper Dude my wife bought me. I also had a canvas messenger bag from the Army surplus store. I think it was $12.

They were both fine.

flydhest
08-20-2012, 11:49 AM
I use a Timbuk2. Back story, I suggested it, we ordered it, wife changed her mind and ordered something else, I started using the Timbuk2, she liked it better, and now it is all we use. My wife was also thinking of getting our daughter (now 20 months) a little backpack or handbag because she seems fascinated by bags. I think I am going to get her an XS Timbuk2.

Related, but thread drift, if you think you are going to want to get a bike trailer for the squirt and have not already bought a stroller, especially if you were going to get a Bob (seems standard issue these days, somehow) think about a Burley (or other) trailer for the bike that comes with a stroller attachment. I use the trailer and had I don't things in a different order, would not have bought the Bob. It is redundant, mostly. The Burley is a double, though, so when #2 shows up in November (or really, when #2 is big enough and we want to use a stroller) I will not be buying a double stroller.

CNY rider
08-20-2012, 12:19 PM
I use a Timbuk2. Back story, I suggested it, we ordered it, wife changed her mind and ordered something else, I started using the Timbuk2, she liked it better, and now it is all we use. My wife was also thinking of getting our daughter (now 20 months) a little backpack or handbag because she seems fascinated by bags. I think I am going to get her an XS Timbuk2.

Related, but thread drift, if you think you are going to want to get a bike trailer for the squirt and have not already bought a stroller, especially if you were going to get a Bob (seems standard issue these days, somehow) think about a Burley (or other) trailer for the bike that comes with a stroller attachment. I use the trailer and had I don't things in a different order, would not have bought the Bob. It is redundant, mostly. The Burley is a double, though, so when #2 shows up in November (or really, when #2 is big enough and we want to use a stroller) I will not be buying a double stroller.

We were new parents 4 years ago.
We bought an immense amount of "stuff", much of which we never needed.
The single best thing we got was our Burley.

djg
08-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Any backpack or messenger bag is fine. You need a changing pad. You need wipes. You need ziploc bags (or ziploc type product from whatever brand/source you like). And it doesn't hurt to throw a plastic garbage bag in there, because it's a garbage bag, or a tarp, or whatever.

pdmtong
08-20-2012, 12:45 PM

This.

everyone is different though, hence the overwhelming plethora of choices designed to make you feel that if you dont have one, you arent making your life easy enough or you arent a good parent

scrubadub
08-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Just to pile on, just use any bag that can carry the necessary stuff. No need for a "specialized" bag, we got one as a gift and ended up taking the pad out and sticking it in a regular old backpack.

Tip: make a checklist of things you shouldn't leave the house without and check it before each trip. That way you don't forget to restock say diapers, wipes, extra clothes, or the milk :no:

BTW, congrats on the impending arrival! Hope you're ready for the poo explosions and poo up the back fun :banana:

ofcounsel
08-20-2012, 02:15 PM
The Dadgear messenger bag works nice.

http://www.dadgear.com/gear/Standard/2/1/7/Standard

rugbysecondrow
08-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Don't over think it. Almost any bag will work, use what you have. Diapers, wipes, bottles...it is really not that complicated. After a while, if you are like me, you will forget to carry it after a few months anyway.

Kids are work, but they don't require the influx of gear society dictates.

Be well, enjoy.

craptacular
08-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Don't over think it. Almost any bag will work, use what you have. Diapers, wipes, bottles...it is really not that complicated. After a while, if you are like me, you will forget to carry it after a few months anyway.

Kids are work, but they don't require the influx of gear society dictates.

Be well, enjoy.

Exactly, babies are only as complicated as you make them.

rugbysecondrow
08-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Exactly, babies are only as complicated as you make them.

Amen, babies are remarkably simple...wait until they are toddlers.

pdmtong
08-20-2012, 04:21 PM

ironically, the kid back pack and the burley trailer were the two WORST things we ever bought. it just goes to show every family and kid are different.

flydhest
08-20-2012, 04:36 PM
ironically, the kid back pack and the burley trailer were the two WORST things we ever bought. it just goes to show every family and kid are different.

did you already unload the backpack???

Mr Cabletwitch
08-20-2012, 04:59 PM
I used a timbuk2 backpack for a diaper bag. It works well, but I don't really care to much.

OT, but I love my burley!

mcgillicuddy_p
08-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Congratulations. We have used the DadGear backpack for a few years and have liked it. Didn't really need all the features for an infant, but it is great for 2 toddlers. Good luck!

http://www.dadgear.com/products/228/Green-Center-Stripe

ultraman6970
08-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Used diapers go inside of a plastic bag with a nasty knot and then trash. If you get one of those kind'a special designed trash cans for diapers with special bags just give it away or trade it for sometihng else, just use supermarket trash bags, clean, fast and simple.

As for carrying diapers, just put them in a plastic bag inside of your back pack or something. Keep it simple man...

93legendti
08-20-2012, 06:38 PM

Yup.
Even the pack and play got little use.

I used a Camelbak backpack for diaper changing stuff.

pdmtong
08-20-2012, 06:38 PM
did you already unload the backpack???

the backpack was the full-on kelty big $$ one. sold it 11 years ago....she is 12 now.

best purchase? britax car seats and boosters, BOB stroller, and a $250 super light weight fold up stroller...thing weighed 7 pounds or so and was just bomber...

one thing I wish I bought? high chair with wheels.

bought a lot and sold a lot on local CL. those kids pottery barn tables and chairs that are big $'s? well I got 60% back selling them off.

daughter is going into 8th grade now and today reminded me she'll need a powerbook for HS once she has to return the school issued one end of the year. just got her a full blown desk last week...no more kidding around, she also asked about a direct ethernet connection (which I already stubbed out)

Liv2RideHard
08-20-2012, 07:34 PM
http://www.petunia.com/scout/

The wife gave me a PPB rucksack when we had our first. It was nice and we I used it a lot. Came with some nice accessories. Also used a North Face pack a bunch more. Sold the PPB eventually and got about we paid for it. Now that we have 4 kids we have streamlined the bag thing. Wife keeps bags and backup bags packed with the essentials and in the vehicles. All of ours are under 5 so lots of stuff. Get her a bag she really digs...worth it. You can make do with something simpler.

Burley...worth it. Get one. Get a double if yall plan on having more than one kiddo...or twins like we did. We use ours all the time.

Congrats and all the best.

PS...get your lady some of these...

http://shopbyog.com/

She will love them and all the hospital staff will be admiring them. I got my wife some of these and she loved them. She delivered in them and they made her feel a little better. The RN's loved them too. Little things man...

Cheers

Guy

93legendti
08-20-2012, 08:12 PM
I bought my wife a coach diaper bag. After a while, she realized that she preferred a backpack for diaper stuff and her "purse" needs.

jmoore
08-20-2012, 08:20 PM
OT, but we had two Bob strollers - a single and a double. We used them to death and now both my boys are too big for them. I sold the double for $250 and the single for $150 in the last few months. I figure that's a good return for 7 and 5 years of use on those things, even paying full price like I did.

pdmtong
08-20-2012, 10:32 PM
OT, but we had two Bob strollers - a single and a double. We used them to death and now both my boys are too big for them. I sold the double for $250 and the single for $150 in the last few months. I figure that's a good return for 7 and 5 years of use on those things, even paying full price like I did.

yup! mine was the older one, without he swiveling front wheel. worked great ... and resale is built in

Bob Loblaw
08-21-2012, 07:56 AM
I am a SAHD, so I feel well qualified to reply to this one.

I carried a diaper bag everywhere for three years. We were almost never home, always out at playgrounds, the library, amusement parks, playdates, on bike rides.

I had and loved an Eddie Bauer backpack style diaper bag. What made it great was not the changing pad or the pockets for everything kid-related. it was awesome because the diaper stuff storage was so compact and efficient, it had tons of room for other stuff. Library books. Bike parts. Clothes. Towels. Tools. Lunch. Cameras. Jackets. Beer. It was also cheap and, as diaper bags go, fairly masculine.

It was sort of like this:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11904764

BL

oldpotatoe
08-21-2012, 08:04 AM
I preferred the "have a separate pocket for everything" approach. In addition to the diaper pad, consider at some point or another you'll be carrying:

-Bottles
-Diapers
-Wipes
-Ointment(s)
-Toys
-Ziploc snacks (Cheerios, etc)
-Sippy cup
-Binky
-Change of clothes
-hat/gloves/mittens

And lots more I'm sure I have forgotten.

We had an earlier version of this:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62134?feat=sr&term=diaper%20bag

Good luck!

As a new-ish grandfather, who sees Grandma use the bag, when changing Evelyn, pockets for items is KEY...

brownhound
08-22-2012, 09:45 AM
You'll get lots of free advice...

My free advice is to find things you can use in two years. A lot of baby stuff has a relatively useful shelf life of like six months, and the key is finding something you'll want later.

For a bag, I used a Brady fishing bag, which is a typical shoulder bag. I like it, however, because it has a snap out rubber liner. You WILL spill things in a baby bag, be it bottles or used diapers. Having something that's easily washed made sense: http://www.bradybags.co.uk/products.asp?mid=17

And, of course, I can use it to fish with. I got mine off eBay.