PDA

View Full Version : White? A bad color?

Slave2Gus
09-28-2005, 05:48 PM
I'm have been considering having my new frame painted a pearly white (with maybe a black fade on the seat stay/chain stay angle to oppose a black carbon fork). White sure looks pretty in pictures but will it be a high-maintenance choice? Does white look like kakka as soon as it gets on the road? I saw the collection of white frames on the gallery and they look proud!

I have a black truck and it looks dirty quickly. Not that I'm sure how that works into this question.

The Slave thanks you.

weisan
09-28-2005, 05:57 PM
That depends on a few things.

1) Is this your only bike?
The reason I ask is because assuming you have multiple (>1) bikes, the white bike can be left at home during incremental weather conditions. That will keep it nice and clean, ready for its next appearance when it's bright and sunny. :p

2) Do you like to care for your bike?
After every ride, I like to wipe down my bike. It takes not more than 5 minutes. And I do that even when I am dead tired. Can you commit to being a slave to your bike? Sounds like you can. :D

3) Are you inspired by looking at your bike?
When the sun shines on my white bike at a certain angle, and I happened to be looking down...I am tellin' you, it's to die for.

4) Do you mind attracting some uninvited attention?
Let me tell you sumthin'...white bikes are cool...regardless of what people say. With a fresh coat of paint, and if you do it right, you are gonna hear "ooohs and aaahhs" wherever you go. It's HOT! Can you handle it? :banana:

Unless you pee on the bike or dip it inside the volcano mud, it will stay relatively clean at the end of the ride. Basically, it all comes down to this: what do YOU like/want, my friend? :beer:

CalfeeFly
09-28-2005, 06:00 PM
All true from another white bike rider.

Slave2Gus
09-28-2005, 06:46 PM
1) Yes, well maybe. I'll initially strip my current bike for parts and slowly upgrade the new steed while returning parts to the old frame. Thus, eventually I'll have more than one. OTOH, if the weather is really crappy, I don't usually ride. Wimp, I guess.
2) I'm pretty conscious about my chain but the bike gets a wash down only every few rides. Of course, a white bike may scream for more slave-like treatment. I'll bet some of those ready-wipe towels would be useful.
3) Yes, a sharp looking bike makes me smile inside and out! I figured a really deep pearly white would have the desired effect.
4) I can definately handle uninvited attention...well, if it's the right attention provider.

I just like that look of simple elegance. Maybe even a hint of retro. Lots of flashy colors don't really grab me. I also like molteni orange with a splash of black fade. Kinda timeless.

The reason I ask is because assuming you have multiple (>1) bikes, the white bike can be left at home during incremental weather conditions. That will keep it nice and clean, ready for its next appearance when it's bright and sunny. :p

After every ride, I like to wipe down my bike. It takes not more than 5 minutes. And I do that even when I am dead tired. Can you commit to being a slave to your bike? Sounds like you can. :D

When the sun shines on my white bike at a certain angle, and I happened to be looking down...I am tellin' you, it's to die for.

Let me tell you sumthin'...white bikes are cool...regardless of what people say. With a fresh coat of paint, and if you do it right, you are gonna hear "ooohs and aaahhs" wherever you go. It's HOT! Can you handle it? :banana:

Unless you pee on the bike or dip it inside the volcano mud, it will stay relatively clean at the end of the ride. Basically, it all comes down to this: what do YOU like/want, my friend? :beer:

Fixed
09-28-2005, 08:28 PM
bro white is one of the four best colours for a bike i.m.h.o. :beer:

davep
09-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Nicest looking bike I've ever seen was a pearl white Sachs. Go for it!

steelrider
09-28-2005, 09:29 PM
I have a CSI with a 1" head tube, very minamalist decal application, and a frost white finish. I receive comments wherever I go. I must say, it is one *****en' ride. She is equipped with Campy, of course, Thomson, and Deda products, as well as a stealth black set of Campy Neutrons. Steel is real, and white steel steals the show.

Blastinbob
09-28-2005, 09:57 PM
I love white bikes !!! I was just tellin' our "soon to be a daddy" friend mavic1010 the other day that I was thinking about painting my Parlee white. Red saddle,decals and bar tape......... fades are nice too!! :D

Johny
09-28-2005, 10:18 PM
http://www.richardsachs.com/images/rsachswhite.jpg

Slave2Gus
09-28-2005, 10:34 PM
OK, it's to the point I can't think of any other color. Thanks for all your input. Now the precise white is my next quest. I think I want one that almost has that eerie blue glow on the edge.

Fixed: So what are the other three colors??

CNote
09-28-2005, 10:42 PM
White is cool, but personally I prefer another color with white accents. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=8935&highlight=Capital)

columbusslx
09-29-2005, 12:01 AM
I have a solid white (f/f) pearl that is dynomite. Best thing is both silver and black parts look great. Dirt is not an issue, at least for me. Do it.

Climb01742
09-29-2005, 04:14 AM
white is an awesome color for a bike. especially with a pearl tint. some metallic glitter or glow. the very definition of sweet.

can't speak for fixed but IMO, bikes are kinda like cars and for a car, there are only three colors: black, silver or white. no red!!! sorry richie. 'course this is just one man's rantings. ;)

*with orange being the exception to every rule. an orange car, though, would be hard even for me.

jpw
09-29-2005, 05:25 AM
bro white is one of the four best colours for a bike i.m.h.o. :beer:
The other three being?

William
09-29-2005, 05:57 AM

From one who once owned a pearl white bike.....all true. :cool:

William

JasonF
09-29-2005, 06:10 AM
I have always had an affinity for white bikes, and here's a pearl white Merckx that I just bought from a guy in Canada. Check out his license plate!

Fixed
09-29-2005, 07:11 AM
The other three being?
Black,red,yo bro you guess the next colour. Cheers :beer:

jpw
09-29-2005, 07:24 AM
Yellow?

Fixed
09-29-2005, 07:48 AM
bro I.m.h.o. your fav. colour the main thing is to ride it .cheers :beer: jason that is one nice lookin bike dude.

jpw
09-29-2005, 09:46 AM
Green?

jpw
09-29-2005, 09:49 AM
Orange?

jpw
09-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Pink?

Johnnyg
09-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Dude, white is right, just do it! JohnnyG

OldDog
09-29-2005, 02:36 PM
search the custom bikes for j.p. weigle. this one is todd owens'.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2165&stc=1

jpw
09-29-2005, 02:38 PM

JP Weigle. That's real nice.

tch
09-29-2005, 02:49 PM
There's a beautiful Davidson over in the custom section of the Image Gallery. Wow!

vaxn8r
09-29-2005, 05:14 PM

This bike is crying out for a white seat. :confused:

toaster
09-29-2005, 07:17 PM
I have a Legend Ti that is half polish/ half paint in white. It is 3 years old and has about 30,000 miles logged on it. It's the cleanest bike in town, or so I'm told by my riding companions, and I actually get teased about keeping it too clean. It's really a beautiful bike, I wouldn't change the color.

How do I post the picture here???