09-28-2005, 05:33 PM
for those who have both or tried both.

Whats the difference?

Which do you prefer?

what bolt pattern do egg beaters use?

Thanks! :D

coylifut
09-28-2005, 06:24 PM
I've not found a mtn pedal system yet that didn't have some draw back. the egg beaters have virtually no platform and can be troublesome to click in at high speed because the spring is wound fairly tight. also, on more than one occasion, I've seen the pedal body spin off the spindel. with that said, they shed mud probably better than any other pedal. the ATACs have a bit of a platform, shed mud well and have an excellent release. the draw back is in super sticky mud (early season mud where the grass is coming up for the first time), material can build up on the pedal body making clicking in difficult. also, bearing life is somewhat suspect.

I'm currently using the ATAC World Champion (old style) and a set of the ATAC composite body pedals. The composit body pedal is relegated to the mtn bike because the spring is a bit tight and hard to get back in.

I've never used the crank bros candi pedal, but is looks like a nice compromise between the two.

Dekonick
09-28-2005, 06:33 PM
how about for road use?

Velociotis
09-28-2005, 08:03 PM
I've had both ATAC and Crank Bros on my MTB, although I have the candy pedal with the platform. The Crank Bros rock! - much easier entry/exit. They stay nice and clear not as many mud and dirt issues.

And the packaging is second to none. I just sat and looked at the box with the individual holes in the foam for each bolt, etc. it was hard to take them out and mount them. That is some nice work. Nice graphics too.

shinomaster
09-28-2005, 08:10 PM
I just put some stainless egg beaters on my cross bike and have been riding them for about a week. I have had no problen clipping in to them at all, they are much more easy to snap in to than Frogs, ( which suck).
The bad part is that yesterday while practicing my dismounts I smashed them on my ankle, and shins, and calfs. Now I am bady bruised and in pain. This never happened with the frogs last year and I think maybe the Candy style would be safer to use. They are called leg beaters for a good reason. I bought them to shed mudd but I hear Times are about as good. A really, really, good local "A" racer used the new xtr pedals last year and he loved them....

Dekonick
09-28-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm looking to make 3 bikes have the same pedal system (and not Looks...)

I have 1 pair of Atac's (love em) but performance has legg beaters cheap... was wondering which to go with...

probably will stick with time - too bad they don't make an Atac road pedal...

The Spider
09-29-2005, 03:01 AM
The new ATAC is even better...snappier entry/exit, no 'wondering to the outside" cleat when you get fatigued, same mud-laughing design (ha,ha,ha - get outta here!) and very durable. I've had 3 pairs of ATACS and 2 pairs of ATAC XS. very impressed.

jdoiv
09-29-2005, 11:41 AM
I just bought a pair of ATAC XS for my mtb but haven't mounted them up yet. (waiting for fork) Can you release out of the pedal on both sides (heel in and heel out)? The shop said yes, but looking at the cleat has me wondering. Thanks in advance.