PDA

View Full Version : Maui Jims: Who wears them?

rugbysecondrow
08-19-2012, 03:29 PM
I have a pair for everyday use, but currently wear Oakleys for riding and running. Anybody use Maui's for riding or running? I really like my Maui's but the lenses are glass don't want to wear them while riding for obvious reasons. The Oakleys are good glasses, but the Maui's are great and I might want to give them a shot for sports if others have had good experiences.

Thanks

Paul

Ken Robb
08-19-2012, 04:36 PM
I wear progressive glasses which cost $500-600 in clear lenses. Obviously I don't want to spend as much or more for sunglasses so I have several pairs of Cocoons which are tinted plastic glasses that fit over my regular glasses. They don't look as geeky as it sounds and fit snugly enough to keep light from leaking around the sides.

They come in several sizes to cover a wide range of regular glasses. I think the smaller sizes would be a good fit for a person who did not wear prescription glasses at all. At $30-40 a pair they aren't a major investment.

zap
08-19-2012, 05:17 PM
I stopped wearing contacts two years ago and have been wearing prescription Maui Jim's while cycling since. No problem other than the time I dropped them while wipping sweat from the eyes. Some minor scratches but insurance will pay for new ones.

Sir :) wears them too, longer than I.

wooly
08-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Paul - I've got a couple of pairs of Maui Jim's too but for casual use. Beach volleyball or just hanging out. Haven't ventured using them for sport. The oakleys are lighter and seem to stay on my face more easily. I'd be afraid to wear them cycling as I take my glasses off periodically to wipe sweat from my face. I'd be afraid that I'd drop them.

rnhood
08-19-2012, 06:45 PM
If MJ's glass lenses are the same thickness they were in the mid-2000's, then they will break really easily. Mine broke (hairline crack in the lens) by falling out of my shirt pocket onto a table, a distance of about 12".

Stick to the Oakleys for sports. MJ have very good clarity, are relatively lightweight and suitably fashionable but I don't consider them a sports glass. Too fragile and some of the models are way too expensive.

PaMtbRider
08-19-2012, 07:20 PM
I am the same as you Paul. I have Maui Jim's for casual use and Oakley's for on the bike. I did end up wearing the Maui Jim's cycling one weekend because I forgot the Oakleys. They didn't offer near enough wind protection, and my eyes watered so badly down hills I could barely see.

Smiley
08-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Rugby,
My wife and I wear them exclusively for cycling and mine have the bi focal lense in them, both of ours are RX too. Great investment for sure...screw Oakley RX glasses

MattTuck
08-20-2012, 08:18 AM
MJ has several plastic lens lines. Some are more sporty than others. I personally don't like their fit for sports type applications, it is either too heavy or too light. For driving, nothing beats their glass lenses though.

handsomerob
08-20-2012, 08:53 AM
I got some at a contest at work and like the way they fit and look but I really don't like the polarized lenses. Looking at my iPhone or car windows or ATM screen or anything else polarized and it has an annoying visual effect.

The ones I have retail for $280 or so but I wouldn't pay $20 for them. Conversely, I have a relatively cheap ($60ish) pair of Nike Defiant sunglasses that I would pay more for if I had to.

MattTuck
08-20-2012, 09:01 AM
I got some at a contest at work and like the way they fit and look but I really don't like the polarized lenses. Looking at my iPhone or car windows or ATM screen or anything else polarized and it has an annoying visual effect.

The ones I have retail for $280 or so but I wouldn't pay $20 for them. Conversely, I have a relatively cheap ($60ish) pair of Nike Defiant sunglasses that I would pay more for if I had to.

The polarization on Maui Jim or any brand is meant to reduce glare in sunny situations. The test for it is when you're in high glare situations such as at the beach, driving in heavy sunlight, in the mountains with lots of sun, etc. They weren't designed or intended to improve iPhone or ATM use. Your complaint is like being asked about how a new bike handles and complaining that it doesn't fit right on your car rack.

That said, I think $280 is pricey for sunglasses, regardless of the technology or brand.

OtayBW
08-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Have used a pair for years. Great optics. Beat them up and still not a scratch. Great glasses.

pdmtong
08-20-2012, 12:51 PM
For off bike, I like MJ's and Revo. For on bike, I'' stick with my Rudy's....

559Rando
08-20-2012, 05:32 PM
I much prefer wearing my Maui Jim Aloha Friday when I'm out and about as compared to the a similar pair of Wayfarers. They make sunlight much easier on my eyes. My eyes are less tired and feel "good."

However, on the bike, I avoid polarized lenses so that I can better see if a surface is wet or not.

weaponsgrade
08-20-2012, 09:05 PM
I've got a RX set of MJs I use for cycling. My RX is such that I can't use anything with too much of a wrap (e.g., Oakleys). The MJ's replaced a set of RX Rudy's I got from Sports Optical. They're a little bit heavier and the plastic is more slippery when handling them than my Rudy's, but the main thing is that they fit and offer a lot of protection. I've already dropped them while trying to stop my daughter from grabbing them, but they survived fine. They were also cheaper than a new set of RX Rudy's - though not as much as I thought they'd be once all the options were added in.

yakstone
08-21-2012, 06:35 AM
I use MJs for my everyday shades and have several pairs of them but prefer Rudy's on the bike. The Rudy's are lighter and don't shift around on my face due to the weight and the snugger fit.
IMHO sunglasses are a piece of equipment that you don't want to skimp on. The long term affect of crappy lenses is not a path I want to travel down.

rugbysecondrow
08-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Thanks. I don't need prescription lenses but got the Maui's for everyday use. I like them quite a bit which I why I thought about them as a cycling option. I have had the same two pair of Radars for a few years and was just thinking ahead to when I have to replace one of them due to breakage or lostage.

Thanks

Paul