PDA

View Full Version : Paging dbrk or dnovo

Michael Testa
02-23-2004, 02:45 PM
Now that Rivendell has upped their price on the Rambouillet, and changed the color to blue, I am thinking of getting a frame from Jitensha, the Ebisu. It seems like it would be a very nice frame, of comparable quality to the Rambo. The Rambo is not at all out of the question. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, what are your thoughts on the Quickbeam? I live in Southern Jersey (super flat), and for my first bike back in the game, I was thinking of getting a fixie. Do you think that would be a bad idea?

dbrk
02-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Hiroshi's Ebisu is much like the Toyo-built Rivendells and may well be made by Toyo, the same shop that builds the Rambouillet, Atlantis, and will build the Saluki, Wilbury, and Gloria. These bikes are so similar in design and execution that you would be hard pressed to find a great difference in the ride. But this much is sure: Toyo's bikes (and that means Rivendell's bikes) are _brilliantly_ made, remarkably consistent in execution, and always, always straight and properly brazed. Worth every nickel. I've not ridden nor seen in person the Ebisu but have heard only kind things.

The Quickbeam's design strikes me as the perfect one-gear-at-a-time-bike since it will actually have two chainrings and two rear cogs, making it a four speeder. I've been privvy to its design and formation from the beginning, to be honest since I long ago pleaded with Grant to build an affordable/noncustom singler. The frame will come from National Panasonic and that's all well and good: Japanese bikes are all well-executed. This one will be no exception the that general overstatement. But what would be good about it, aside from its versatility with tires and gears and bits, will be its calm geometries and steady hand.

I raced as a kid on the Jersey shore (many, many moons ago) and know the terrain well. In fact, I rode mostly fixed during the week (we weren't allowed to ride gears during the week!) and this is a fine place to try it on. I warmly recommend it. We should see Quickbeams by mid-March, if all goes as planned.

dbrk

dnovo
02-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Own the Rambo, saw the other for a bit when I was in SF last and stopped by for a look. Both are nice, but I prefer the Rambo. As for the Quickbeam, I will defer to the Good Professor on that one. Dave N.

Ray
02-24-2004, 02:11 PM
A similar thread came up on the IBOB list not long ago and I believe some of the shops that sell Rambouillets still have some of the orange ones for $990 or thereabouts. Check the list of dealers on the Rivendell website and call around - you may get lucky.

I thought about the Ebisu as well a while ago. The geometry wasn't quite the same and the bottom bracket was higher (possibly as much as a cm, but I don't recall), so I ended up with a Rambouillet. I'm quite sure it's a nice bike, but small changes in geometry can make a big difference, as you see testimony to on this board all the time. Make sure the Ebisu is what you want.

BTW, we spend a week at the Jersey Shore every summer and the fixed gear is the only bike I ever bring. So the Quickbeam might be a good way to go if you aren't planning to ride anywhere else. I'd have trouble owning a fixie as my only bike, but that's just me.

-Ray