PDA

View Full Version : OT: this may be a morbid question but...

Climb01742
09-28-2005, 01:47 PM
if you knew you had a short time to live, would you go on living the life you do now? or with the last months of your life, would you do something else?

maybe it's because i'm over 50. maybe it's the new tracy chapman song. maybe it's, as was sadly proven by what happened to tailwinds, out on our bikes we have these too frequent brushes with speeding cars. but are we -- are you -- leading the life you want?

if i had a few months to live, i'd stop writing ads and try to write something meaningful, and hope to hell i had something meaningful to say. i'd hang with my daughter a lot more. i'd ride every day. and i'd probably wonder why i didn't do it sooner.

i am sorry if this is morbid.

Dr. Doofus
09-28-2005, 01:52 PM
if it was a sure bet that I'd be dead(er) in six months

i'd debauch myself

no high road here

sure, all pleasures are transient, but in six months you wouldn't burn out

Kurt
09-28-2005, 02:00 PM
no easy answer, my first reaction would be to liquidate everything (if I was single) and just travel, but I think it would be hard to be in a good enough mood to enjoy anything. I might end up taking my own life early, because waiting for the end no matter what has to be the worst thing ever (when you know the final date and it’s soon)

Fixed
09-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Bro you just go on, you never know.i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

Kevan
09-28-2005, 02:37 PM
run out on your savings and maybe use a good bit of credit, quit the job, play your final hand... then when your time is coming due and you're making that final dr. visit and hear him say,"Well, I'll be damned!" What do you do then?

One way or the other, I have too many obligations to go heading for the hills.

JohnS
09-28-2005, 02:50 PM
run out on your savings and maybe use a good bit of credit, quit the job, play your final hand... then when your time is coming due and you're making that final dr. visit and hear him say,"Well, I'll be damned!" What do you do then?

I read an article several months ago that that's what's happened to some people infected with AIDS. They ran up their debt, figuring that they wouldn't be around to pay it off. Now, with the rapid advances in treatment, they are...

JohnS
09-28-2005, 02:51 PM

Sandy would be good for it! :p

christian
09-28-2005, 02:52 PM
I had a HUGE race car accident on September 18. HUGE. Mega big. And luckily walked away totally unscathedb.

On or around September 20, I realized that, if that had been it, in retrospect, I wouldn't have changed a thing. That was a good feeling.

Ride more, race more, work smarter (not less!),
- Christian

Fixed
09-28-2005, 02:52 PM
Bro there is only one cat that knows and he ain't tellin. cheers :beer:

Russ
09-28-2005, 03:11 PM
...if i had a few months to live, i'd stop writing ads and try to write something meaningful, and hope to hell i had something meaningful to say. i'd hang with my daughter a lot more. i'd ride every day. and i'd probably wonder why i didn't do it sooner.

I would keep living my life the same way. I am living the life I always wanted :)

I just wish I had a little more money sometimes, and with it more freedom. For instance, I would have loved to stay in Montana and Wyoming for two full weeks instead of a coupe of days for the last forum gathering....

BTW I kiss, hug and feel in love with my wife, as if she was leaving for a trip the following day, everyday. I also play with my pets a lot. I ride my bike or workout as much as I feel like it and as if I was training for some race. I enjoy my work and do it for free many times....

Even if I were to die in one month, I would not ride my bike everyday. I think life is more than riding a bike these days.... But when I do ride it, I would make sure it is the best ride I could do that day!

So my man, even if you were 18, don't just wish you could be doing the things you should be doing... Go do them now!: Come visit the Russ in the Winter (so you can ride your bike), hang with your daughter more often, go to the forum gatherings... You only live once my friend!

By the way, what's the name of that new Tracy Chapman song? She is one of my favorites, maybe I will get it on the iTunes store....

keno
09-28-2005, 03:23 PM
contemplating your death isn't necessarily morbid; living your life as if you are going to live forever is another matter (BTW, while we all know we will die someday, few of us really believe it let alone live like it).

keno

zap
09-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Fixed-You make to much sense sometimes.

But me, I'd prove the docs wrong.

Life's good.

Climb01742
09-28-2005, 03:25 PM
russ, CD is called "where you live" and song is "change". check it out. and on many levels, it sounds like you're a fortunate guy. ;)

shinomaster
09-28-2005, 03:32 PM
I think I would try to hoe it up as much as possible (there are so many cute girls in Portland) and then I might try LSD.

djg
09-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Quite the little counterfactual--we get such things wrong all the time, but I think I'd change a few things and keep quite a bit as it is.

I'd work less, not because I don't care for, or about, my work, but because, given six months, or three, I'd like to budget my time differently--more time with the kids, and less time at the office. But I would like to keep things relatively stable--I've a wife and three little kids and home and I'm not about to leave them to trek about the Himalaya or any such thing (and the kids are really too little to port along on any such excursion). Liquidating savings is off, because of the kids (yes, there's life insurance, but life insurance predicated on, among other things, our savings). I'd attempt a bit more travel, I suppose, mostly to visit a few far flung friends. But, by and large, I'd stay in good old Arlington, VA, with the soccer ball, the trail-a-bike, and the odd trip to Costco.

jpw
09-28-2005, 03:42 PM
This thread is too 'heavy'.

Fixed
09-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Bro how many of you guys ride each ride like it's the last? Cheers :beer:

Bud
09-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Bro how many of you guys ride each ride like it's the last? Cheers :beer:

Not often enough . . .

I don't think I'd go completely wild (I had some of those days in the past), but I'd certainly be more retrospective and take time to reflect on my life. Maybe I'd write my memoirs (that would be fun).

That said, I'd definitely make it a priority for the wife and I to do a few "what the f**k" things like go to Oz (her home) and ride, have a few cold ones on the beach in the Bahamas, etc.

TAW
09-28-2005, 05:32 PM
to think about your own mortality. I couldn't pass this thread up, since I'm a minister. : ) The truth is, compared to the time that's gone on before any of us were born and the time that will go on after we die, life is brief. So the wise person prepares himself for eternity. The Bible says, "What will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, but loses his soul." I think your question is a good one. Thanks.

david
09-28-2005, 05:45 PM
i'd get tendonitis.

csm
09-28-2005, 06:03 PM
race car crash? what series? what do you race?

bcm119
09-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Due to the anxiety this kind of situation would cause, I'm pretty sure I'd need alot of pills. Realistically I'd probably supplement them with lots of drinking, and I'd liquidate everything I have and travel, becoming semi-nomadic.

christian
09-28-2005, 06:24 PM
race car crash? what series? what do you race?

Yes. Rally-America Championship. A Gr. N Subaru Impreza WRX STi

Me: http://www.christianedstrom.com
Pics of the first three rolls and results of said crash (last ten pics): http://www.rally-america.com/photo_gallery.php?gallery=10
The crash went on for five more rolls after the photographer turned tail. (Good for him, btw; he was probably in most danger of anyone.)

Cheers,
- Christian

Skrawny
09-28-2005, 06:27 PM
Live forever, or die trying!

csm
09-28-2005, 06:37 PM
wow. that was you? I've been going to stpr for 13 years now. my kids thought it was so cool to get travis's autograph. I was amused that standing 20 feet away was a bonafide world rally champion that seemed the crowd to be someone's grandpa in a driver's suit. I will send you some pics of the parc ferme autograph seesion. the next time you see travis tell him that I appreciated the way he talked to the kids and gave out autographs.
any interest in driving?

Ginger
09-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Christian,
I see why you crashed...is that your que sheet exiting the car?

Glad to hear you walked away.

bostondrunk
09-28-2005, 07:16 PM
As Clarence Thomas said on SNL a long time ago:
"I'm goin' to Girly World!!!"

:beer:

spiderman
09-28-2005, 07:53 PM
try to write something meaningful...

well, here's a poem
from one of my favorite poets
that might help you...
...it's good advice
on how to live.

How To Be A Poet
(to remind myself)

Make a place to sit down.
Sit down. Be quiet.
You must depend upon
affection, reading, knowledge,
skill -- more of each
than you have -- inspiration,
work, growing older, patience,
for patience joins time
to eternity. Any readers
who like your work,
doubt their judgement.

Breathe with unconditional breath
the unconditioned air.
Shun electric wire.
Communicate slowly. Live
a three-dimensioned life;
stay away from screens.
Stay away from anything
that obscures the place it is in.
There are no unsacred places;
there are only sacred places
and desecrated places.

Accept what comes from silence.
Make the best you can of it.
Of the little words that come
out of the silence, like prayers
prayed back to the one who prays,
make a poem that does not disturb
the silence from which it came.

--Wendell Berry
GIVEN (poems)

rpm
09-28-2005, 07:58 PM
In reality, if you were told you had only a few months to live, you'd probably spend them desperately hanging on to some semblance of normalcy because your body would be rapidly deteriorating.

That's what I did 11 years ago when I was entering the end stage of liver disease. I went to work, but spent half my time slumped at my desk, and I rode every day, slower and slower. On New Year's Day, it was all I could do to ride five miles on a bike path at walking pace. A week later, I collapsed and was hospitalized with a life expectancy in days.

The more relevant question is what would you do if you were knock, knock, knockin on heaven's door and then got a reprieve. That's what happened to me in the form of a liver transplant. In the years since, I've traveled a lot, done more volunteer work, and started appreciating the people around me a lot more. And, oh yeah, I bought a nice bike. Life's too short to ride a crummy bike.

That guy who won 7 Tours also seems to be appreciating his gift of time.

Fixed
09-28-2005, 08:02 PM
In reality, if you were told you had only a few months to live, you'd probably spend them desperately hanging on to some semblance of normalcy because your body would be rapidly deteriorating.

That's what I did 11 years ago when I was entering the end stage of liver disease. I went to work, but spent half my time slumped at my desk, and I rode every day, slower and slower. On New Year's Day, it was all I could do to ride five miles on a bike path at walking pace. A week later, I collapsed and was hospitalized with a life expectancy in days.

The more relevant question is what would you do if you were knock, knock, knockin on heaven's door and then got a reprieve. That's what happened to me in the form of a liver transplant. In the years since, I've traveled a lot, done more volunteer work, and started appreciating the people around me a lot more. And, oh yeah, I bought a nice bike. Life's too short to ride a crummy bike.

That guy who won 7 Tours also seems to be appreciating his gift of time. I hear ya bro. :cool:

cs124
09-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Very heavy question... IMHO Russ seems to have it nailed.

Live your life NOW, regardless of life expectancy...and leave no regrets.

christian
09-28-2005, 09:40 PM
wow. that was you?
any interest in driving?

Yup, that's me. One more race this year (LSPR) in the Rally America championship, and then a possible stint for us in the Baja 1000. Plans for next year are in the works, but not quite ready to announce.

I've driven one event, and finished 2nd in class, but my talents are clearly better suited for the right side of the car.

- Christian

Ginger
09-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Climb,
Have you ever had a wakeup call? Not a "your life is going to end in 6 months" but like Christian, a "yo...your life almost ended back there" event? Not a close call with a car as we all have those moment to moment and day to day, but a real knock down drag out almost event?

Live Today, enjoy the Moment.

Writing Advertisements does not preclude writing something "important" at the same time.

Just What is that something IMportant that you want to write?

The biggest reason for not writing that important thing now is the fear of finding that after you wrote it, even if people bow down to it, it wasn't important after all.

Spend the time with yourself. You will remember.
Spend the time with your daughter. She will remember.

Good luck and thanks for the reminder of my wake up call!

Mary Ann

GoJavs
09-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Could be now.....or now....Could have been yesterday for me. I got a flat tire on the Fla Turnpike traveling my usual 70-80 mph. When I went to get the tire repaired, this is what they found INSIDE the tire....

Now, if that would have landed INSIDE my car: :crap: :crap: :crap:

Russ
09-28-2005, 10:35 PM
That's something!!! I have gotten a good share of (bike) flats on The Key...

But this is something! And I thought our highways were clean enough :eek: :eek:

Len J
09-29-2005, 06:42 AM
Climb,
Have you ever had a wakeup call? Not a "your life is going to end in 6 months" but like Christian, a "yo...your life almost ended back there" event? Not a close call with a car as we all have those moment to moment and day to day, but a real knock down drag out almost event?

Live Today, enjoy the Moment.

Writing Advertisements does not preclude writing something "important" at the same time.

Just What is that something IMportant that you want to write?

The biggest reason for not writing that important thing now is the fear of finding that after you wrote it, even if people bow down to it, it wasn't important after all.

Spend the time with yourself. You will remember.
Spend the time with your daughter. She will remember.

Good luck and thanks for the reminder of my wake up call!

Mary Ann

Great advice for all.

Feel the fear and do it anyway.

Len

William
09-29-2005, 07:01 AM
There are times when I wish I could do certain things and go certain places that will likely never happen. But then I look back on what I have done and feel pretty good about the people and events I've experienced in my life. I've done a lot of cool things that many people will never get a chance to do.

I'd probably spend most all of that time with my family, creating more fond memories and experiences for my wife and children. In the end, those are the things that are remembered and count the most.

William

H.Frank Beshear
09-29-2005, 08:32 AM
I once did a commercial for the local hospitals cancer center, I'd spent a little time there over the years. I was rambling about life experiences with the camera rolling and what they picked up on was this. We've all heard the old cliche about "Hey you woke up it could be worse" I live my life by that everday I wake up and think "I woke up its a good day". I like that song "Live like you were dying". Life and good health are gifts, and can be taken in an instant. Don't wait for a life altering experience to change you. Live and love everyday for we never know if it may our last. The most beautiful sunrise I ever saw was the one out the window of the transplant ward the day they told me my counts were coming up and I was going to go home soon. Rambling again Take care all. Enjoy the day Frank

Cadence230
09-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Keep doing what I'm doing and ride, ride and ride even more (assuming a non-affecting medical condition)while spending time with my dogs and buying and moving to that cool hobby farm I've been eyeing.

Tom
09-29-2005, 09:46 AM
And it would be a good one. Not quite as good as Hunter S Thompson's but if anybody sees a burning Viking ship coming down the Connecticut River, tip your hat to me as it passes.

And the 40-ft semitrailer that pulls up in front of the White House and opens up to reveal a giant trebuchet that heaves a huge bag of flaming cow manure at the building will have nothing to do with it. Nooo.... nothing at all. And this is not a partisan political comment, I don't care who's in office, I just want to do it. I want to watch the news people reporting on it.

"Tonight on Evening News with Brad Hairspray... an enormous sack of **** landed on the White House today. Film at 11"

And the analysis on what it means... who's responsible... it'd be great.

csm
09-29-2005, 11:37 AM
I had a friend once who wanted a viking funeral as well; or at least some semblance of one. his idea was to be put into a dumpster that was found behind his favorite watering hole, lit on fire and rolled down market street in lemoyne. sadly, when he passed, we were unable to fulfill this request.

KirkKaas
09-29-2005, 12:11 PM
This has been my life long approach to this question.
I have created a list of the 10 things I hope to do before i die.
As you can imagine after this summers incident it has
taken on a whole new meeting for me

Kirk

Ray
09-29-2005, 03:06 PM
This doesn't get at Climb's basic point, which is to make sure you're happy with how you're living. I'm cool with that except that not working is FINALLY starting to get a bit boring and I'm looking at possibilities for returning to some sort of work, but otherwise I'm pretty fully happy with how I'm living.

But in preparing for an imminent death, I'd line up a brazer/welder to seal off a small portion of the seat tube or downtube or something on a few of my favorite bikes and arrange to have a small portion of my ashes preserved there for eternity. And I'd will those bikes to people I knew would keep riding a lot, so I could keep going on bike rides well after death. Any takers? :D Heaven and H*ll are a crapshoot, but this would be a sure thing for at least a portion of the afterlife, if not for all of eternity.

-Ray

zap
09-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Ray, thats a very interesting thought.

Memorial bikes.

Ray
09-29-2005, 04:07 PM
Ray, thats a very interesting thought.

Memorial bikes.
That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said about it. Most people avert their eyes and start mumbling about mental illness. :cool: I'm basically kidding about it - it'd be pretty heavy to lay on a prospective inheritor. But it's not totally a joke - it would probably give a dying person some small measure of comfort to think about being along on all of those future rides.

-Ray

christian
09-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Except for two, my riding buddies would demur because of the weight...

- Christian

Doc Austin
09-29-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm am sorry if this is morbid.

Maybe, but it's something we are all going to have to face.

There have been a couple of times I thought I was going to die, and each time I came back detirmined to live every day flat out. Eventually the fear wears off and you slow down a bit and that's where I am now. I probably just need a good scare.

I suppose if I had something terminal I'de go scuba skydiving until I was either broke or collapsed from whatever was killing me.

I would absolutely basejump the Sun Trust building in Tampa.

I'de probably cash in the 401K, get a stupidly fast 160mph shifterkart and go race. I'de do anything and everything that ever scared the cr*p out of me. Very simply, I would just hang it out and dare the devil to take me early.

What's the worst that can happen? I'll die a quick death six months early instead of wasting away? Morbid, perhaps, but if you've only got six months why sit around being destroyed over it if you can get out there and have a blast? As long as I'm healthy, I'm going to be active, but if it looks like the end is coming, I'll just have to pack all the thrills into a shorter timespan.

Hopefully our cycling programs will keep us fit enough that we won't have anything to worry about for a long, long time.

Ray
09-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Except for two, my riding buddies would demur because of the weight...

- Christian
People who'd be concerned about the weight of a few ashes aren't the type I'd probably want to ride into the afterlife with anyway. I'd look for some middle aged tourist who plans to ride around the world at least twice with a full set of racks and bags and camping gear. SSLLOOWWLLYY!

-Ray

spiderman
09-29-2005, 04:48 PM
People who'd be concerned about the weight of a few ashes aren't the type I'd probably want to ride into the afterlife with anyway. I'd look for some middle aged tourist who plans to ride around the world at least twice with a full set of racks and bags and camping gear. SSLLOOWWLLYY!

-Ray

...i'm there...
when do we start...

Russ
09-29-2005, 07:21 PM
And the 40-ft semitrailer that pulls up in front of the White House and opens up to reveal a giant trebuchet that heaves a huge bag of flaming cow manure at the building will have nothing to do with it. Nooo.... nothing at all. And this is not a partisan political comment, I don't care who's in office, I just want to do it. I want to watch the news people reporting on it.

"Tonight on Evening News with Brad Hairspray... an enormous sack of **** landed on the White House today. Film at 11"

And the analysis on what it means... who's responsible... it'd be great.

This is a great funny one! I could see The Fox Channel and CNN going at it....
Omitting details and camera shots to keep us all "sheltered" from the real crap! Ha ha ha...