PDA

View Full Version : D2r2

NHAero
08-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Weather was as good as it could be! Roads were in good shape, perhaps a bit slow from rain the night before. Food was good and plentiful.
The views and countryside are lovely - what a great event. People were unfailingly friendly, a great vibe. All kinds of bikes. I met Tyler and saw Jamie's own Firefly.
I had some cramping issues about 2/3 of the way through the 115K route, so I walked some of Pennel Hill Rd, and later walked some of Patten's Hill. Besides the cramps, I felt good. My hat is off to those who rode the 180K!
good food and beer at the finish, and a great bumper sticker from the Franklin Land Trust - No Farms, No Beer.

Cat3roadracer
08-18-2012, 08:23 PM
If any other race promoters need advise on how to conduct a similar gathering, get in touch with this promoter. What a perfect day. The rest stops were excellent, the lunch was by far the best lunch I have ever had on a ride (although I was hungry, and did eat too much, the climb immediately after lunch was excellent).

Quite a display of bikes as well. My favorite was a gray Zanconado with purple panels. Many beautiful IF's as well. I'm sorry I did not see any Firefly's today.

The 115 kicked my arse, I'm not sure how meere mortals summon the strength for the 180.

Definitely on the docket for next year.

moose8
08-18-2012, 08:39 PM
It was about as perfect a day as could be. I did the 115k with a standard road crank, which seriously kicked my butt. It made me think a compact may have been a better choice, but I don't have one, so hence the standard. I walked my bike a few different times, which I try to avoid normally, but it was still fun. I can't imagine how difficult the 180k must be.

4Rings6Stars
08-18-2012, 08:41 PM
The display of bikes was unbelievable. Literally saw 6 or 7 (each) IFs and Serottas, 4 or 5 Zancs... Lots of nice custom steel and ti, a few Sachs, a few Pegorettis... Lots more too, mostly cross bikes.

The black and neon green Meivici with Di2 was one of my favorites.

dauwhe
08-18-2012, 09:30 PM
A guy rode the 180k with a fat bike with 3.7" tires... saw a cool old Raleigh Clubman, a tricked-out Betty Foy, some very nice full custom Rivs...

Wouldn't trade my bike for anything I saw, though :)

Dave

scrubadub
08-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Wow, sounds like many of us were on the 115k. What were you all riding or wearing? I was wearing my all-black jersey and on my white with green panels Zank.

I can see why this event is a favorite - I had a blast! Pennel Hill is evil though. I was just loosening up nicely riding along the road, then I turned the corner and went :eek: Cramped up about 100 yards up and ended up walking a big portion. 34-27 worked great for most of the course - but not there.

I also had a moment of confusion when I got to the top of Patten as to why the rest stop looked so orderly and everyone was dressed so nicely. The bride and her bridesmaids did look lovely though.

Lots of nice bikes, but my favorite was the fat tire bike that was on the 180k course. It was pretty funny to see him mix it up in the paceline leading into the finish.

cp43
08-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Great ride today. I camped out last night, in the rain. Which wasn't too bad, I was in my truck for the really heavy stuff. Left for the 180K in light rain at 6am. It cleared up by ~7:30 though, and, as has already been mentioned, the weather was spectacular the rest of the day. I think this was my 5th year doing D2R2, and this was the best weather I've seen for it.

My only goal for this year was to better my time from last year, which was a painful 13 hours. This year I finished in right around 12, then did the corn "maze" loop for some extra fun. I felt much better this year, and will count the ride a great success.

I also bumped into BumbleBeeDave, merlinmurph, and a couple other forumites whose handles I don't remember. It's always great to see forum people in real life, even better when they're enjoying themselves on their bikes :)

The trick that works for me for the 180K is really low gears, and wide tires. 22 small chain ring and 28 big cog, and 42mm tires at 65 psi have worked well the last two years, lower gearing wouldn't have been bad though.

Finally, a big shout out to all the volunteers who manned the rest stops so that we could all enjoy ourselves today, they did a great job.

Oh yeah, and the beer (Steel Rail Extra Pale) was great too.

Chris

happycampyer
08-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Cat3, that Zank belongs to Eddie B, from Princeton. He was wearing a pink Gaulzetti jersey. And the black MeiVici Pave with Di2 and neon green decals is Scott Hock's—that bike is one of my all-time favorites. Spoke to Scott briefly at the lunch stop—he was riding with the Firefly guys, and with some guys from IF. A mini (and very fast) builders crew. Gary S's TFLW 'cross was a stunner, too.

Happened to see BumbleBee Dave at the tent at the finish. Looking forward to seeing his photos!

BumbleBeeDave
08-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Perfect day for the event! A bit of overnight rain to keep the dust down, but then it all cleared out and it was perfect.

I hooked up with MerlinMurph and Tele and we rode together a lot. I also saw:
TiDesigns
CP43(I think)
happycampyer
cat3roadracer
fungusamungus33
Probably others who I didn't realize . .

Here's a pic of me with Murph (orange bike) and Tele heading out in the morning. Also here's a pic of the guy who went down on the way down Hawks almost exactly two miles up from the Upper Road turn. I heard the crash, but didn't see it--came upon it a few seconds after it occurred. I hope the guy is OK--he was awake but unresponsive and an ambulance was called.

Also here are a few more selected images . . .

The rest of my pics are HERE (https://picasaweb.google.com/103119791440403229920/2012DeerfieldDirtRoadRandoneeD2R2?authkey=Gv1sRgCL rghJ_v18-jCQ) . . . Enjoy!

cp43
08-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Perfect day for the event! A bit of overnight rain to keep the dust down, but then it all cleared out and it was perfect.

I hooked up with MerlinMurph and Tele and we rode together a lot. I also saw:
TiDesigns
CP43(I think)
happycampyer
cat3roadracer
fungusamungus33
Probably others who I didn't realize . .

...snip...

Yup, that was me. Minuteman kit and the beard. It was good to see you again.

Chris

BumbleBeeDave
08-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Yup, that was me. Minuteman kit and the beard. It was good to see you again.

Chris

I didn't know your handle and the other guys couldn't remember.

BBD

tele
08-19-2012, 07:03 AM
Simply couldn't have asked for a better day of riding other than blew a spoke on Hawk's Rd near the finish so it wasnt really a problem.

Funny how 8% pitches feel flat on the ride.

Chris is a beast for riding the 180k, well done.

That dude on the huge tires blew by Murph and I near the finish, sounded like a tank coming down the road!

Couple of crappy cell phone pics:
BBD
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8439/7810928400_1912b1c299.jpg

Murph at the top of the Valley near Apex Orchards with Mt Monadnock to the left
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8284/7810939090_b5d2dcdcc8.jpg
Murph on a random switchback
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7119/7810931278_0d95baa110.jpg

moose8
08-19-2012, 07:06 AM
There was one guy on the 115 who's derailleur broke before the first rest stop and he apparently shortened the chain and single-speeded it the whole way. It was pretty impressive, and must have been pretty tough as it looked like he left it on a middle gear, not even one of the easier ones.

mike p
08-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Great pic's Dave! Thank you.

Mike

BumbleBeeDave
08-19-2012, 07:22 AM
There was one guy on the 115 who's derailleur broke before the first rest stop and he apparently shortened the chain and single-speeded it the whole way. It was pretty impressive, and must have been pretty tough as it looked like he left it on a middle gear, not even one of the easier ones.

. . . just before the end. He was on a Colnago cross bike and we discussed it . . . he said another guy in their group had remarked to him before the ride that his hanger looked bent a bit, but he shrugged it off and at about mile 10--Ker-PLOOY! He said he had decided to throw in a chain tool to his riding kit just that morning. When we came around the last turn and he realized we were done he and his buddy started sprinting.

Later, I saw the bike by the food tent and got a pic . . .

BBD

Ti Designs
08-19-2012, 10:10 AM
The last time I did the 100 and after coming off the bike on the first steep section of dirt, I rode everything. This time we did the 115 which was a bit harder. There was one loose steep section that I made it almost all the way up, but got turned around and wound up back at the bottom. The second time I made it up. Then there was the jeep trail. Aaron and I got a good warm-up for that (we missed the turn and added a few miles of climbing), but there are some things that you just can't do on a road bike. The second "very hard hill" after lunch was also a bit of a problem. As I was out of the saddle in my smallest gear (39x25) and sliding back down the hill, I realized that I probably wasn't going to ride that hill either.

Perhaps the single best line of the day came at the top of the hardest hill. There was a wedding going on, the bride was at the cars near the road as a group of us went past. Most of us had nice things to say to her, but the last guy in line said "well, it's all down hill from here" - I hope he wasn't talking to her!

Many thanks to BillG for getting me out there and back.

scrubadub
08-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Great hearing all the stories from yesterday. I hope the guys that went down are okay. And thanks for the pics, I'm starting to put (screen)names to people and bikes I saw transiently.

Maybe I'll get up the nerve to say hello some time!

Andreas
08-19-2012, 03:19 PM
Rode the 180k - 8th time for me.

Left home at 4 am and headed south in a horrendous downpour and fog - arrived a bit later than planned. Since I assumed that my mates had left at 6:00 and now it was 6:30 I went out faster than in other years. At the first fuel stop my avg speed was 15.8mph. Saw ergott en route and chatted briefly.

I continued riding fast till the second fuel stop to realize that my mates were either way fast or started after me. Struggled to lunch, dragged myself up archembro in 34x25 on the way. At mile 50 or so my garmin froze and reverted to map usage. Added probably 5 miles or so by missing some turns and realizing it kind of late. Hillman Rd felt hardest. Michelin Jets on C2's were great and sit at a fat 37mm, allowing full speed downhills without worries.
Extended my PR of 1620km at deetoo without flat.

Rolled in with a group of fast guys after Patten. Got back at about 3:30, had a beer, some good food and headed north.

It was good fun, but I think next year I will do Sandy's other ride.

msl819
08-19-2012, 03:56 PM
. Saw ergott en route and shatted briefly.

OK so no doubt I am jealous of being too far away to take part but this raised an eyebrow. Amazing how much one letter can change a thought!!

EddieBirdsell
08-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Quite a display of bikes as well. My favorite was a gray Zanconado with purple panels.

Thanks man. Did we meet?

Love my Zank. Perfect bile for this ride.

merlinmurph
08-19-2012, 08:41 PM
First D2R2, best ride ever. Need I say more? OK, a little more.

Did the 100K and rode with tele the whole way. BBD started with us, and ended up trailing us a bit because he was in photojournalist mode, which we're all thankful for. Thanks for the pics, Dave.

I was psyched for the whole ride and never really got tired, which probably means I should have done a longer ride. :eek: The IF was wonderful on this ride, despite my best efforts to totally screw things up by making some changes in the last few weeks - new RD and cassette for lower gearing, brake tweaks, new longer stem....

I'm with cp43 on the gearing - go as low as you can go. I had 1:1 and loved it. Not going to win any races, but for a ride with nasty climbs, I loved it. I'm looking forward to heading out there on my own and doing some riding.

Murph

tv_vt
08-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Marc,

Congrats on doing the ride! It's on my bucket list!

What was your rig?

Thom

NHAero
08-19-2012, 09:35 PM
The Anderson frame is in process so I rode the Bob Jackson. Was surprised to learn I couldn't fit a 35mm tire in the rear, and next largest I had was a 28, so I had the 35 fr, 28 rr. Low gear was 24 30, which is about right. I think with a fatter rear tire I could have ridden just about everything on the 115. Gotta figure the cramping out, never had this issue before the herniated disk.
It is well worth being on anyone's list, glad I had the chance on such a nice day.

QUOTE=tv_vt;1190198]Marc,

Congrats on doing the ride! It's on my bucket list!

What was your rig?

Thom[/QUOTE]

eBAUMANN
08-19-2012, 11:51 PM
wow, andreas, you made great time, impressive stuff!

i did the 180k for the 2nd time this year. slower pace than last year as i was riding with my gf (who had to bail at lunch due to some knee issues). i grabbed another orphan (his buddies we bailing as well) and we soldiered on to finish around 6pm.

archambo road is always fun i love short hard climbs like that. stayed on the bike the entire time, as i came prepared with lower gearing than last year (39x32 vs 38x28).

this is easily my favorite ride, ever, for a number of reasons. im already planning a trip back out there to ride either the 100 or 115 again in the fall, absolutely gorgeous land, a truly refreshing experience in every sense of the words.

setup this year:
burnside forge cx (custom by my cousin, buddies with carl at vicious)
1x10 - 39t x 11-32t
35c conti cx speed (file tread, i have 2-180's and a 115k on this same set of tires, never a flat or issue, highly recommended)

already counting down the days till next year...

JayBay
08-20-2012, 07:46 AM
First year doing the D2R2, and I went for the full 180k. It was an awesome experience - the roads were in great shape, the weather was perfect, and camping in the rain and the wet start in the morning only added to the "adventure" level of the experience. I can't say enough about the organization of this event - top notch job all around.

I rolled in at 11 hours, completely spent, but I managed to pedal every mile of it and was proud of that. The Crux worked great, the 34x32 low gear was enough to get me up everything, but I was quite surprised by how early and often I was in it! I ran Clement LAS file tread cross tires (33c) and they were absolutely perfect for the conditions. Fast yet confident, plenty of grip to let it run on the dirt downhills, and no flats!!!

http://app.strava.com/rides/19013276

BillG
08-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Next year I think I'll try to run these:

http://clementcycling.com/400/xplor-mso

ergott
08-20-2012, 07:53 AM
I posted this elsewhere, but the some of the names are familiar.

First off, the tone of this weekend was set for me by the gracious thollandpe and family. They are awesome and were kind enough to let me stay at their place for two nights. A big thanks to you!

I had all intentions to do the 115k again, but I had this nagging idea in my head that turned into a morbid curiosity. What would it be like to do the 180k? Having a place to stay before and after sealed the deal. The most unfortunate thing last year was the weather causing me to depart before I could hang after the ride. Now I could hang around and get a good night's sleep before the ride home.

Another thanks goes out to my pal Jason who mailed me his compact crank. That was another detail that lead me to go for the bigger ride.

The night before, I studied not the map, but the elevation profile. I really wanted to know how many climbs there were and what were the particularly nasty ones ahead of time. Pacing was my biggest concern. Todd quickly pointed out that Archambo was technical but short. It was Hillman that I had to look out for. When someone like Todd says it's hard, a mortal like myself needs to heed the warning. He was spot on.

Forecast was for light rain at the start, but above 60deg so I only wore my short sleeve jersey, bibs and my favorite full finger Mechanix gloves. They are nice and thin so I don't have any bulk, but I have the security of gloves that keeps my hands on the bars going down the descents. Instead of my jersey pockets, I bring a saddle bag for two tubes, a lever, patch kit, and a couple of Clif Bars. That left my back free for a cue-sheet, wallet, Advil, and some hydration tabs if I need. I would have thought that my choice of a 34/28 low would be sufficient, but more on that later.

We set off. I'm with Todd and some of his biddies, but I quickly realize that I'm not at their level. If I want to survive this ride I clearly needed to ride my own pace. The last thing I want to do is hold them up. I could tell that this wasn't one of those situations where they could lightly pedal at the top and I would hook back up. No worries. I knew that the amazing terrain would keep me occupied. There is so much to take in out there that it was almost better to experience it solo.

The rain was great because it made the course grippy on the climbs. I wasn't soaked through and through, just a bit wet. Nothing that didn't dry off after the weather cleared up. It was a great day that didn't require shedding and reapplying layers of clothing. I was nice and comfortable the whole time.

The descent on Pine Hill is pavement. I see on my map that there are two quick turns up ahead. I have the foresight to keep the speed in check and get through with no problem. Then the bottom drops out from under me and I'm flying again. I see a left hander up ahead. I get too much speed going and even with my right lever buried to the bar, I don't have enough power to stop for a left in time. The rear wheels sings soprano and I'm no going to make the turn. Luckily I scrubbed off enough speed that I go off course doing maybe 5m/hr so it's only an ego bruiser, no bodily harm at all. I pick it back up and continue. Onward.

At each climb, I immediately back off the power so I can keep things under control. Lots of people pass me. I'm glad I'm in a place in life were I can let the carrots go. It was fun to immediately overtake a few people when it started going downhill. I must admit, I drop like a stone (once literally). A few climbs into it and I get to Archambo. It's not only a wall, it's a technical ascent where keeping the power to the tire is a delicate balance and you have to keep the power steady. If you aren't turning circles, you are walking up. 2/3s up, a woman is blasting a vuvuzela at us. I think that was the final push I needed to just grind it out. Cleaned it and very happy with myself.

I didn't get too much time to enjoy the moment because Hillman is on the other side waiting. It starts out okay and as someone passes me we comment on how great Archambo was. He's experience enough to remind me that this one starts out okay, but gets steeper as you go. He wasn't kidding. That sucker was brutal! In order to keep the front wheel down, I decide to do this one sitting down. That's where it hit me that having even lower gears would have been a better choice. My knees really felt those two efforts. I can stand on that 34/28 all day, but it's when I'm seated that I need to spin something lower. Luckily, those were the hardest of the ascents. I could do my out of the saddle trudge on the rest of them as needed.

The next climb was up and I decide to take my helmet off for a breather. I take a look back and I see someone in pink coming up the road. Who the hell wears pink on this ride? As he passes I see a Zanconato under him and I realize the jersey is a Gaulzetti so I say nice Zank! He turns around realizes I'm on one too and I recognize him. It's Eddie B. We exchange pleasantries and he and the rest of the crew mosey on past me. As much as I wanted to hang with them to chat I remind myself that I'm on a different journey.

I continue on, enjoying the amazing scenery and the joy of bombing down the descents that remind me why the climbs are worth it.

As I'm getting closer to the lunch stop I keep wondering where it is. I'm going down Deer Park Rd. which is a bomber. I'm flying down when I hear that sound. Pssss, sss, sss, sss, sss, sss... This is not the safest place to lose your front tire. Luckily, I haul it in to a safe stop. Geek talk alert. If you don't already know, I run Michelin Jets on Stan's 29er rims. They have sealant in them. I'm convinced that this it what allowed me to come to a safe stop in the worst possible place. The pressure dropped pretty slowly considering it was a 5mm cut and the bead stayed put. The cut was too big for the sealant to work so I put a tube in there and continued down.

As I'm going on my merry way, I see a nice covered bridge on my right. Only one rider hanging around there I assume that there's nothing to see here and continue up the next climb. Halfway up a rider passes me (old news by now). I ask him, :How much further until lunch already?" He points back the other way. "What you didn't stop?" ****. At this point I'm going so slow that I don't even bother going back. I would like to finish some time today. I figure I'll find someone at a house that will be kind enough to fill my bottles and I have a few Clif bars. I'm not worried about anything. Sure enough, I pull into someone's driveway and ask him for water. He's happy to oblige. He said he was wondering when one of us was going to do that.

I have fresh bottles, some bars for later so I trudge on. From this point forward I'm just thinking to myself, save some gas for Patten. I remember what a beast that was last year and the thought of climbing it after about 100 miles of this terrain is looming over me. I just treat each climb with respect and do my thing. I arrive at Patten and I'm happy I have enough legs to do it. I'm slow, but I just didn't want to put a foot down. Once that was behind me I know that there are only a few more bumps in the road and I'm home free!

The last stretch of pavement brought me back to my element. No climbs left and I go full gas to get rid of what ever energy I have left. I also saw that I might actually come in at just under 11 hours. That's total time, none of this riding time which doesn't factor into when you hit that timing mat. Sure enough my computer says 10:59 but I will have to wait for official timing and scoring. Not that it really matters anyway!

My first thought is to find Todd. I wouldn't have been at all surprised if he had gotten a ride some someone else and left me a note. He was done hours before me. I get to the car and his gear is still there. I'm also happy to see that he tried the door locks since I left the car open. I would have felt real bad if I locked the car and he couldn't get to his stuff!

I come away from this ride so satisfied. I saw great people out on the road. I never got those judgmental looks you sometimes get from racerboys as they pass you. Everyone here is good people.

I'm also so pleased at how well my Garmin (705) worked. I would have been scared to death if I have to navigate this ride by myself. Instead of using the Garmin for turn by turn (annoying as hell and rides this long don't always load up), I just use it to highlight the course on the map. I can zoom out for the bigger picture and zoom back in when I get to the towns and need to catch a few turns in a row. It also shows me where I have to start braking to prepare for a slow corner. If anyone else has this computer or similar I highly recommend this. I never had to take out the cue sheet.

A huge thanks to everyone that helps put this ride together and in particular Sandy. I never got to chat with him, but his hard work was much appreciated.

Again, a huge thanks to Todd and his wonderful family for taking me in for the weekend.

180k survivor.
http://app.strava.com/rides/19062975

mistermo
08-20-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm also so pleased at how well my Garmin (705) worked. I would have been scared to death if I have to navigate this ride by myself. Instead of using the Garmin for turn by turn (annoying as hell and rides this long don't always load up), I just use it to highlight the course on the map. I can zoom out for the bigger picture and zoom back in when I get to the towns and need to catch a few turns in a row. It also shows me where I have to start braking to prepare for a slow corner. If anyone else has this computer or similar I highly recommend this. I never had to take out the cue sheet.

I used bumblebeedave's 100K file posted on ridewithgps.com Worked like a charm on my lowly Edge 500. I ditched the cue sheet early on. Just before lunch, I was in a group hammering along and they blasted by a road. Suddenly my Edge began beeping incessantly. Turned around and caught the right road to lunch. This happened many times during the day.

Thanks for the file BBD!

Jaq
08-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Congratulations, all. Looks like a great ride; hope the fellow's okay.

BBD, I tossed a link to your picasa pics across the hall. If I overstepped, lemme know.

p.s. that box of peaches looks so damn good.

fiamme red
08-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Some photos of D2R2 bikes:

http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-bikes-of-d2r2.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lovely_bicycle/sets/72157631141933854/with/7815293494/

BumbleBeeDave
08-20-2012, 12:51 PM
I used bumblebeedave's 100K file posted on ridewithgps.com Worked like a charm on my lowly Edge 500. I ditched the cue sheet early on. Just before lunch, I was in a group hammering along and they blasted by a road. Suddenly my Edge began beeping incessantly. Turned around and caught the right road to lunch. This happened many times during the day.

Thanks for the file BBD!

. . . certainly welcome, Sir!

And no problem with sending the link around. They are posted to be looked at. I'm sure some of their guys are probably in the pics, too.

BBD

BillG
08-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Some photos of D2R2 bikes:

http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-bikes-of-d2r2.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lovely_bicycle/sets/72157631141933854/with/7815293494/

There's my bike! The Circle A. Next year it's the 180 and my Igleheart monstercross with 40 mm. tires.

fungusamungus33
08-21-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm glad to have survived and I really enjoyed an excellent day in the saddle. That is my favorite kind of riding... dirt, danger and really nice bikes! Sometimes I skip the danger...

It was also fun to see so many bikes that came from the "big" NY/New England custom shops that we know and love. Tyler, Jamie, Jared, Scott and others on the ride, had designed and fabricated a fairly large percentage of the bikes at D2R2.

The Colnago w/o a rear der.... What a great attitude that guy had! I rode for a few miles with him and he was committed to having fun and finishing! He has some pretty good bragging rights.... I probably would have bailed...

Good seeing all of you that I got to say "hello" to!

CCB

Bertleman
08-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Finally finished the 180. Road my ti 29er with a set of super light WTB Stryker wheels. Had a WTB vulpine 2.1 on the front and Bontrager XR1 in the rear. Not so fast on the up hills and the flats but more than made up for it on the downhills....super fast. I can't believe how good the pickles tasted, I'm glad Sandy insisted I eat some!