PDA

View Full Version : Phil Wood BB

Larry
09-28-2005, 09:32 AM
What are the differences in the Phil Wood bottom brackets?
Is the titanium a better ride than the steel?
They last a lot longer than Campy Record BB. Is this correct?
I may need to replace the Campy on my CSi.

Larry

christian
09-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Bottom brackets vary by type (Italian/English), taper (ISO/JIS), and spindle length (102mm-130+mm).

Titanium spindle bottom brackets are lighter than steel spindle bottom brackets. They are also more prone to failure.

Phil Wood bottom brackets typically last 20,000 miles or more before needing a rebuild, and when they do, you can send them back to Phil and they will rebuild them for a nominal fee.

That said, there are lots of other fine bottom brackets on the market, at lower prices than a Phil. The Campagnolo Record bottom bracket is nice, as is the TA Axix Pro.

- Christian

Too Tall
09-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Larry, the steel BB is the stiffest if that matters and I believe the propietary Ti is a close second. I've swapped back and forth between a mag ti version and the regular SS version and can't tell the diff. using same cranks.

There are several old threads on the forum you may want to review.

csm
09-28-2005, 11:28 AM
the fsa is another fine choice. I have the platinum ti pro. 4k miles and still going. it's light and a square taper. it was pretty cheap too if i remember correctly.

CalfeeFly
09-28-2005, 05:59 PM
You have to be careful to get the second version of the FSA bottom bracket. The first had bearing issues and they redesigned it.

csm
09-28-2005, 06:01 PM
how do you know what version you have?

bcm119
09-28-2005, 06:27 PM
Phils have incredibly good customer service as well as longevity. As for other options, I think the mid-range models last the longest, such as Ultegra and Campy Daytona/Centaur. I had a Daytone BB (the ones that need the funky tool) last about 20k miles, although they are boat anchors.

mls
09-28-2005, 07:25 PM
i have one w/very very low miles in 102mm
make me an offer

Michael Katz
09-28-2005, 08:50 PM
I had a long chat with the folks at Phil Wood about the differences between their 3 BB models. In a nutshell, all 3 have the same bearings, tolerances, smoothness, durability and ease of spinning. The primary difference between them is weight. While technically the propietary ti spindle in the mag/ti unit will flex a bit more than the stainless spindle and the standard ti more than the proprietary ti, in standard spindle lengths for a double Campy or Shimano crank (102 mm for the Campy), there is no real world flex difference. If you need to use a longer spindle for a triple or some other special need, then the spindle material can make a difference in flex depending on rider weight and riding style. When I was buying a BB for a double Campy, I was told that the only real difference would be weight and the question was really how much I was willing to spend to be a weight weenie. Well, I decided to be a weight weenie and the mag/ti bottom bracket is the most gorgeous piece of bike jewelry that no one will ever see.