PDA

View Full Version : Big calves genetics?

tuscanyswe
08-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Im a skinny guy but my calves seem to have a different ability to grow than my thighs. My thighs seem to not become much larger at all but calves seem to keep growing.

Genetics or wrong pedalling technique? Ive moved the clips further back on my shoes to perhaps not pedal with as much force on my ankles but cant really feel a difference in load tbh.

No biggie really just abit strange that my thighs dont have the same increase in volume at all so im wondering if perhaps i could gain some performance by changing technique. Thinking the more one use the thighs / buttocks the better?

jmeloy
08-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Good question as I ride a good deal and my calves have not grown much.

wallymann
08-18-2012, 08:27 AM
genetics, pedaling technique, cleat positioning, training, etc. all possible variables...but genetics is the BIG one, the others are all trivial in comparison.

when i was young i used to to do calf raises 'til the cows came home because i wanted meatier calves. after much work i achieved very, very strong calves...among the strongest in the gym, but they stayed skinny as pipe-cleaners.

calf mass is all about genetics...how big the muscle-belly is to start with and the propensity to add muscle in response to overload.

Im a skinny guy but my calves seem to have a different ability to grow than my thighs. My thighs seem to not become much larger at all but calves seem to keep growing.

Genetics or wrong pedalling technique? Ive moved the clips further back on my shoes to perhaps not pedal with as much force on my ankles but cant really feel a difference in load tbh.

No biggie really just abit strange that my thighs dont have the same increase in volume at all so im wondering if perhaps i could gain some performance by changing technique. Thinking the more one use the thighs / buttocks the better?

avalonracing
08-18-2012, 08:51 AM
I've been riding for over 20 years, raced for part of that and my calves never got bigger, just more and more defined. I have friends who look like that have a softball under their skin. It can look threatening on the bike but I've found that it doesn't necessarily translate to more speed, power or endurance.

firerescuefin
08-18-2012, 09:03 AM

Genetics...I used to be into heavy lifting (405 Squat/1000 leg press) and I couldn't get my calves to grow (proportionally) despite every form of training possible. When I start training hard on the bike...Quads start growing again...calves stay the same:help:

rice rocket
08-18-2012, 09:11 AM
http://www.gagbay.com/images/2012/07/dont_skip_leg_day-116998.jpg

jr59
08-18-2012, 09:18 AM
You need to catch the rustlers.

You know... the rustlers who stole your calves! :banana::banana:

It's simply genetics. You can slightly improve what your parents gave you, but not a bunch!

rugbysecondrow
08-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Yep, genetics.

We are all different. I run two days a week, jump rope 4-5 days a week, bike twice, strength train 3 days and am still a solid 225#s, 18 inch neck, 46-48 jacket with a 36 inch waist...we are just built differently. When I used to play rugby, my quads, legs and hammys were all pretty strong, not giant, but like tree trunk where other guys had legs that looked like the letter S with all their bulging muscles.

I have a buddy who can not work out for years, hit the gym for three weeks and all of a sudden his chest and arms just poke out and extra 3 inches. He is not stronger, but he looks stronger. I tell him he has shapely fat.

I have another buddy who NEVER works out and he is ripped...looks like a gym rat but he is not. I tell him he is just fat on the inside.

We are all different.

thegunner
08-18-2012, 09:49 AM
http://www.gagbay.com/images/2012/07/dont_skip_leg_day-116998.jpg

an fyi on that -- that guy was a combat veteran from afghanistan where he had just been injured by an IED. that was literally one of the first few times he even walked again (to provide some context)

William
08-18-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm kind of a genetic freak from the waist down. My calves are larger than most peoples quads. When I was a gym rat I had to work hard to get my upper body to grow, my lower body on the other hand...I could just think about working out and my muscles would grow.;) I exaggerate a little but my point is I don't have to do much to get my calves, glutes, or quads to grow. That's also why I can climb pretty good for someone my size and weight...a good power to weight ratio.

William

MattTuck
08-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Count yourself blessed that you don't have the extra weight of muscles. You're built for power/weight ratio superiority, and thus a natural climber. :)

tuscanyswe
08-18-2012, 10:18 AM
So far it seems that most feel its just down to genetics then. Guess thats was my guess too.

I dont know about the blessed part. Id gladly gain 8 kgs even if it would mess up my power to eeight ratio ;-)

I lost about 8 kgs when i turned celiac few years ago kinda miss em.

ultraman6970
08-18-2012, 10:44 AM
If you are genetically chicken legged then there is nothing you can do about it but maybe going to the plastic surgeon to get some gel implants but pretty much that's it.

Don't take me wrong but there is a race thing also, some races are more inclined to have chicken legs and big torsos like a fridge for example, other ones are short legged but the legs looks like women legs (asians), European Caucasians have long legs that are really well distributed in the muscles.

bart998
08-18-2012, 12:39 PM
It all plays a part. Genetics and technique. When I started riding in the seventies I was taught "Ankling." Lower seat, use full range of ankle motion around the pedal circle. I think this helped develop my lower legs immensely. Especially good in sprinting. But, I also (now) do lower-leg workouts in the gym which have helped my climbing. Genetics is the starting point. You can always improve on what you were given.

Fixed
08-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Do i smell narcissism
If you are healthy and fit you are beautiful :)
Cheers enjoy the gifts god gave you IMHO :)

tuscanyswe
08-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Nah i like my legs i just notice this. I agree and im happy n fit :-)