PDA

View Full Version : running shimano cassette with campy shifters

dr50470
08-18-2012, 07:40 AM
I've heard some say they have no problems with this combo. Yes I know there is a conversion cassette available for shimano splines and campy gearing. Thoughts??

oldpotatoe
08-18-2012, 08:08 AM
I've heard some say they have no problems with this combo. Yes I know there is a conversion cassette available for shimano splines and campy gearing. Thoughts??

Wheels Manufacturing makes Campagnolo spaced 9s, 10s and 11s cogsets that fit onto shimano wheels.

Campag 10s shifts shimano 9s spacing really well(use a shimano 9s chain). Campag 10s-shimano 10s not as well. Campag 9s and shimano 9s not as well.

tuscanyswe
08-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Theres also the shiftmates from jtek. Id help u out but allrdy gave away the 2 i had.

Dave
08-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Campy shifters, or a complete Campy drivetrain? That makes a big difference.

If all you're talking about is using a wheel with a Shimano 10 cassette on a Campy drivetrain, then Shimano spacing is significantly closer at 3.95mm compared to Campy's 4.15mm. The .02mm difference adds up to 1.8mm after 9 shifts.

To get decent results, the RD must be carefully positioned to distibute the over-shifting on both sides of the cassette's centerline and probably tighten up the limit screws a bit.

gone
08-18-2012, 08:26 AM
I've used a Jtek shiftmate in the past and had zero problems with it. This was campy 10s shifters with shimano 10s cassette. Worked great.

dr50470
08-18-2012, 08:36 AM
ok, now would I be better off changing the rear derrailleur from shimano to campy? I'm trying to reuse an older Mavic wheelset (kysrium SSC), campy shifters and FD, FSA crank. Either chain would be OK.

zennmotion
08-18-2012, 09:20 AM
All you need to know about all the possible combinations of cassette, shifters, derailleurs is here

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

And all you need to convert inexpensively is here

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.php

PS in my experience the JTEK gizmo is worth the cost, the "hubbub" fix of alternative cable route works (10sp ergo shifters with Shimano 9 cassette)- until it slips mid-ride. Fixable with a multitool, but annoying.

bobswire
08-18-2012, 11:11 AM
All you need to know about all the possible combinations of cassette, shifters, derailleurs is here

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

And all you need to convert inexpensively is here

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.php

PS in my experience the JTEK gizmo is worth the cost, the "hubbub" fix of alternative cable route works (10sp ergo shifters with Shimano 9 cassette)- until it slips mid-ride. Fixable with a multitool, but annoying.

I never liked using JTEK because of the added torque applied to the cable because of it being wrapped around that pulley. Not only is shifting harder on the shifters and paddle it felt clunky too.
I'd rather deal with a mis-shift than a broken paddle or one that put too much stress on the mechanicals of the shifter and wear on the cable.
10 to 9 works "almost" trouble free,it's 9-9 or 10-10 you'll have more problems with or just use barend or down tube "friction" shifters then you can mix and match wheels and drive train to your hearts delight.

thwart
08-18-2012, 12:41 PM
... another option would be to change out the freehub on those Ksyriums for a Campy one... 'course you'd still need a Campy RD to have things work really well.

sjbraun
08-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Campy 9 speed shifters (Centaur,) Campy Racing T front and rear derailleurs, Shimano 9 speed wheel.

Worked as well as I could want.

Ken Robb
08-18-2012, 01:28 PM
I had a Legend w/10 spd Dura Ace group except for Ksyriums w/10 spd Campy cassette. When adjusted for the chain to be centered on the middle cogs I could get all 10 gears but as the chain moved from the center cog it got progressively louder. I hated thinking that noise was my chain grinding cogs so I changed the hub and cassette to 10 spd. Shimano for a much sweeter drive train.

wasfast
08-18-2012, 02:03 PM
The accumulated error is there. You'll hear folks say it works and it does with some fiddling. How well it works regarding noise is another conversation. It may be fine without the Jtek or alternate cassettes depending on your level of fussiness.

Not mentioned is the American Classic Conversion cassettes for 10 spd. A bit less money than the Wheels versions.

Dave
08-18-2012, 02:42 PM
ok, now would I be better off changing the rear derrailleur from shimano to campy? I'm trying to reuse an older Mavic wheelset (kysrium SSC), campy shifters and FD, FSA crank. Either chain would be OK.

The Shimano RD with Campy 10 shifters would not work at all, unless you want to use a Shimano 8 speed cassette. Campy shifters pull far too much cable.

Ramjm_2000
08-18-2012, 02:48 PM
I've had no issue using a King lockring a several .1mm spacers.

learlove
08-20-2012, 11:04 PM
I have put my open pro/centaur hub/centaur cassette wheel on a bike with DA 10speed down tube shifters. It worked just fine.

Skenry
08-21-2012, 10:27 AM
When I was running Campy Veloce with Shimano wheels, I just used a shimano freehub and replaced the cog spacers with Campy spacers. Got them from Wheels Manufacturing I think.

The thinkness of the cog isnt as important as the spacing between cog center and cog center.

I've never been a fan of any of the shiftmate / jtek stuff.

Andreas
08-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Campag 10s shifts shimano 9s spacing really well(use a shimano 9s chain). Campag 10s-shimano 10s not as well. Campag 9s and shimano 9s not as well.

As above, plus:

Campagnolo 11s shifts shimano 10s spacing really well (use a shimano 10sp chain).
Campagnolo 10s shifts sram 10s really well (better than shimano, sram chain).

Or, use the other advice in this thread, get campy spacers and replace the shimano ones and you are good - so campy spacers, shimano cogs.

thegunner
08-21-2012, 11:41 AM

this. put on a rival RD and marvel at how well everything fits together!

mistermo
08-21-2012, 11:45 AM

this. put on a rival RD and marvel at how well everything fits together!

drift alert. I rode D2R2 with a SRAM Rival long rear derailleur (11-32) mated to 2009 Campy Centaur 10s shifters. Worked like a charm.

GRAVELBIKE
08-21-2012, 11:56 AM
I've been extremely happy with da Vinci's modified SRAM rear derailleur.

http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=706

http://www.gravelbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/rSogn-7-300x242.jpg

Campy 10s shifters, SRAM 9s cassette, KMC 9s chain, Shimano 9s cranks (T.A. chainrings).

hairylegs
08-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Just another nod to jtek! I use Campy 10s -> Shimano Wheels/Cassette and it's absolutely perfect shifting.

I had a rare "pro tuneup" several months back and the mechanic left the jtek pulley off, citing the friction. I didn't like my shifting at all - lots of skips. I put it back on and it's perfect again!

clalor
08-21-2012, 03:49 PM
I ran a Shiftmate for about a year and it worked pretty well. Recently, I rediscovered the 0.3mm spacer trick and tried that too (six 0.3mm spacers and a lock ring with a longer threaded section). It shifted as well as the Shiftmate and was easier to setup. However, it did have the side effect of moving the derailleur cage a bit closer to the spokes (the 1mm spacer gets replaced by a 0.3mm spacer). Both of these were used with Centaur 10-speed parts with a Shimano hub and cassette.

Lewdvig
08-21-2012, 05:06 PM
I ran a Dura Ace 10 wheelset on a Campy 10 (Chorus) bike and certain cogs were OK, others were noisy. If a jumpy, noisy chain bugs you then you basically have fewer gears to run. I would not make this a regular practice though.