PDA

View Full Version : Carbon clinchers

cs124
09-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Anyone using carbon clinchers? I mean full carbon like Campy Hyperons (I believe Corima and Reynolds do 'em too), not Al rim with carbon fairing.

Do you like them? How do they perform? Durability? etcetera, etcetera...

TIA

**Opinionated rants especially encouraged!

Zard
09-28-2005, 10:28 AM
I think there was a test of carbon wheels on roadbike review forum. It may have been limited to tubular wheels but it might help you with your options.

FWIW, I have the Reynolds DV Stratus tubular wheelset. I believe the tubular and clincher versions are essentially identical except the clincher version is a 100 grams or so heavier. Extremely light. Almost 2 pounds lighter than my regular wheelset. Excellent, durable, brakes and corner well. Aero. The clincher version is, however, quite a bit more expensive, as in another 700 or 800 dollars.

Reynolds makes a lower profile rim as well.

wooly
09-28-2005, 04:58 PM
I have the Hyperon Ultras and love them. Would I buy them if I had to pay retail? Don't think so, but there are deals out there if you look. I got my pair from a guy who bought a hi-end italian steed and they came with the bike. He didn't want them, I did, the rest is history. As for durability, I don't have enough mileage on them to comment but I will say that they roll very smoothly and absorb shock better than Ksyriums or Eurus. Not as "soft" as Topolinos though. Stiff - no brake rub when climbing out of the saddle with sloppy form.

All in all, I think it's a purchase you make with more emotion than your typical bike related purchase. Way more money than something comparable. For instance, I have some Speeddreams, built with Tune hubs, that weigh 1380 grams. The Hyperon Ultras are advertised at 1300. The Speeddreams cost me $780. The Hyperons are stiffer but more comfortable than the Speeddreams. But the Hyperons retail for 4 times more. That said, i found a "great" deal, the wheels look sweet and you can't fault Campy quality. I'd be hard pressed to sell them.

Russity
09-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Hey man. I thought I recognised the name.

I use a set of Reynolds Stratus clinchers on my Ottrott during the summer months. I'm sure I had them on when you last saw the bike??

They are full carbons, in a raw format, which means they don't have the weaved mesh on top to finish them off. They can look a bit odd to the untrained eye and the finish is certainly not for everyone, but I like the look. They are also the deep section ones, which of course are prone to the cross wind. I believe Reynolds also make a slightly shallower carbon clincher (Altus I think).

The wheels themselves are good. Not exceptional for the money, but the hubs are fantastic and roll like a marble down a glacier. My only problem so far is that I pinged one of the spokes for no reason. Just riding down the Beach Road, and it popped, putting a very slight buckle through the rear wheel. I didn't hit anything, or go through a pothole, it just pinged. Luckily, the buckle wasn't too bad and Luke at Richmond Cyclery (where I got the Wheels), trued it up no worries. Since then, I've had no problems. But I will say that the spokes are ultra tight with very little play in them. officially these wheels should be ridden at a minimum and not put through the rigours of everyday riding, which is why they only come out during the summer for special rides. They also have a slight tendency to grab under severe braking and can get a bit hot on the rims, which in turn gives you the dreaded squeal. If I had a dollar for every smart arse who said my brakes need toeing in, when they hear the squeal, I'd have $14...The best set of pads, I have found to eliminate both grab and squeal are the Zipp Carbon specific.

I have to say though, that these were my second choice wheels. Coming from England and used to the European scene, I initially wanted a set of Corima Aeros. Corima makes excellent wheels and are very well respected back home. They have been making wheels a long time and the Aeros are full carbon clinchers that Corima have been making for a long time. They were also a full $1000 cheaper than the Reynolds!! Anyway, when I went to order tha wheels, the importer told me, via the shop, that they don't actually import the Aero clincher, because they have had a couple of tyres come off of the rims for no reason and have had to replace them or refund them!! Personally I find it hard to believe that the wheels would fail like this, knowing the reputation and feedback I got in England, but at the end of the day, the importer said he could certainly get me a set, but wouldn't offer any kind of warranty on them!! I decided it just wasn't worth the risk. I aslo looked at the Hyperons, which are more expensive than even the Reynolds, but I'm 75Kg and although the wheels will take that kind of weight, they are really just a climbing wheel and aren't reccomended for day to day use, certainly with some one of my size....or so I'm told

Would I reccomend the Reynolds wheels?? For racing and the odd ride here and there, definately, and as this is really all they are meant for, then sure, they are a very good wheel in my experience. But there are other options that I might look at were I to go ahead along this route again.

Fixed
09-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Bro sounds like the worst of both worlds i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

cs124
09-28-2005, 09:36 PM
Fixed - thanks mate, I've thought that myself on occasion but the fact is, I'm vain enough to want carbon wheels but too lazy to bother with tubs.

Russity - thanks, great response. I've been meaning to catch up with you to ask this question, we started talking about it a while ago but didn't quite finish. How's things?

vaxn8r
09-29-2005, 01:10 AM
There's no way I'd buy carbon clinchers. Way more money. More weight. I wonder what they point is? You can get just as light with an AL rim. You don't need to be scared of tubulars. Some around here don't like tape but it flat out works and it's unbelievably easy to install.

I say go all the way (CF tubies) or stay with AL...something like a Rolf Vigor or AC if you want aero in a clincher. Lot's of choices in more box rim that will get you around 1,300g and for less than 1/2 the price of a CF clincher.

Russity
09-29-2005, 01:58 AM
.....How do you figure that one?? Since when did carbon weigh more than alumnium?

Tubs are fine, sure, but try doing the Melbourne to Warrnanbool on a set of tubs without back up and see how you go.

I too suffer from the vanity gene, but my vanity isnt strong enough to convince me to buy a AU$3K set of wheels for their looks. Surely everyone with a Serotta has a tiny bit of that vanity thing going on anyway.

Lets all go back to 32 holes and straight pull brakes again....

Climb01742
09-29-2005, 04:02 AM
the fact is, I'm vain enough to want carbon wheels but too lazy to bother with tubs.

man, i hear you. i had zipp tubs for a short while. loved how light they were but were very stiff for my tastes and braking, even with zipp pads, was a bit suspect. i keep toying with wanting carbon rims -- i'd probably buy a carbon toothbrush if someone made one :crap: -- but even i have a hard time justifying the price for the what you gain...if anything. just seems like handbuilt alu wheels can do everything i want. but still i'm drawn...sick, eh?

divve
09-29-2005, 04:47 AM
.....How do you figure that one?? Since when did carbon weigh more than alumnium?

Additional weight because they're trying to use carbon in a way that's not optimal for this specific purpose. The Hyperon clincher rims are well into the 420-435g range.

vaxn8r
09-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Additional weight because they're trying to use carbon in a way that's not optimal for this specific purpose. The Hyperon clincher rims are well into the 420-435g range.
Exactly, look at the Reynolds website http://www.reynoldscomposites.com/Alta-Clincher.asp

Their CF clincher rim weighs exactly (450g) what their AL rim weighs but for something like twice the cost.

I wouldn't do it...

lnomalley
09-29-2005, 10:23 AM
i can't sat that i've ever had any dry weather braking issues with corima red cork pads... maybe a little less stopping power but nothing to get chuffed about.

chrisroph
09-29-2005, 10:32 AM
The only reason to use carbon rims is that they can be made light and aero. The downside is expense and compromised braking. If you "need" carbon rims, don't go clincher because you give up the weight advantage they provide. If you need clinchers, get something Al. They will perform better than any carbon clincher (except perhaps the carbon-Al mavic carbones which are heavy in any form).

Fixed
09-29-2005, 10:57 AM
The only reason to use carbon rims is that they can be made light and aero. The downside is expense and compromised braking. If you "need" carbon rims, don't go clincher because you give up the weight advantage they provide. If you need clinchers, get something Al. They will perform better than any carbon clincher (except perhaps the carbon-Al mavic carbones which are heavy in any form).
amen bro. cheers :beer: