PDA

View Full Version : Busted Ultra-Torque Campy crank? (SOLVED!)

FlashUNC
08-17-2012, 05:50 PM
I was disassembling my alloy Centaur Ultra-torque crank tonight, after getting a "knock" in the pedal stroke on my group ride last night.

In taking the pedals out, a conical-shaped "washer" insert that I hadn't noticed before fell out of the left side crank arm, where I thought the knock was coming from. (My first hunch was a bad bearing in the bottom bracket.)

The similar "washer" on the right side appears bonded into the crank. I can't find anything in Campy's tech docs about this thing, but it appears it was bonded into the crank as the pedal interface. It looks like, at least on one side, this bonding has come loose.

For the more experienced Campy mechs out there, had any experience with something like this on the UT cranks?

akelman
08-17-2012, 06:04 PM
All I can say is, you're lucky you weren't killed. Or maybe you were. Are you posting from beyond the grave?

FlashUNC
08-17-2012, 06:06 PM
All I can say is, you're lucky you weren't killed. Or maybe you were. Are you posting from beyond the grave?

Thankfully not. The universe was unkind though. My front derailleur cable bit the dust, and I was stuck in the small ring for about 2/3 of the ride. Was a banner night.

winmonster
08-17-2012, 06:06 PM
That wavy washer is normal. It compensates for various size BB shells. It did not explode on you. The installation guides reference it, and it needs to be there.

FWIW, I usually have to disassemble the crank and grease everything up after riding in the rain, or I get a huge knocking sound.

AngryScientist
08-17-2012, 06:07 PM
can you narrow down which part you're referring to based on the diagram below?

http://jorj.co.uk/images/mirage.png

akelman
08-17-2012, 06:16 PM
For reference, in Angry's diagram, the wavy washer is part FCRE009. Is that what you mean? Because if so, it's totally normal that it would fall out of the bottom bracket cup. And there is, as noted above, only one of them: on the non-drive side.

saab2000
08-17-2012, 06:17 PM
The washer in question is not the wavy washer. I know exactly what you are talking about. I wouldn't worry about it other than to keep it installed when you have your pedal installed. They're kind of notorious for falling out but as long as it's there I think it's fine if the bonding doesn't hold. Just keep it in place when you install the pedal. It's just a steel anchor to keep you from gouging the aluminum crank with the end of the steel-axled pedals.

FlashUNC
08-17-2012, 06:20 PM
The washer in question is not the wavy washer. I know exactly what you are talking about. I wouldn't worry about it other than to keep it installed when you have your pedal installed. They're kind of notorious for falling out but as long as it's there I think it's fine if the bonding doesn't hold. Just keep it in place when you install the pedal. It's just a steel anchor to keep you from gouging the aluminum crank with the end of the steel-axled pedals.

Saab2000 hit it. Its not the wavy washer on the non drive side. This is a conical-like washer that fell out of the pedal insert.

If that doesn't cause the knock I felt, I wonder what did cause it then. I'm assuming this "washer" coming de-bonded would cause it to move a bit, allowing the pedal to move around and potentially make noise. Hmmm....the plot thickens...I may post some really bad photos in a bit.

AngryScientist
08-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Oh oh, I misunderstood. I agree with saab, that won't cause any issues as long as the pedal is tightened correctly

FlashUNC
08-17-2012, 06:45 PM
And after reinserting the pedals and torquing them till my forehead caved in, the weird knock has gone away.

Thanks all. I learned something today. Campy basically inserting the pedal washers in the crank for us.

gianni
08-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Funny,

I thought that I had a lemon. I suffered the same fate and retired the crank a couple of years ago. It make sense the proper pedal installation would keep the washer intact. Thanks for the info.

sw3759
08-18-2012, 01:42 AM
isn't it very likely that over torquing your pedal spindle is causing that washer to break loose or de-bond from the crank arm?