PDA

View Full Version : Bike building tips??

shinomaster
09-28-2005, 04:31 AM
So I have a heap of a frame in my room waiting to be re-built. It is a Serotta tee hee (yes I have been drinking) Atlanta. I was told by a local fitter to sell it because it doesn't fit, but i think it still is good enough for a rain bike. Or even a bike to ride to the supermarket with a basket on the front, with flowers Grandma style.
I took it apart cause I was going to re-paint it as some of you may remember. Pink krylon and some hello kitty stickers may help.
What tools do I need to put it back together? i relly dont want to give the Bike gallery more money to put it back together. I have a campy group. I also have cable cutters, lock ring tool. big wrench. plyers , alan wrenches etc. I know I'll need to have someone press in the head set. What do I need to screw on a crank set? I just used a big alan key on my ritchey cross cranks.. Same?
Why is this so hard? :confused:

Ray
09-28-2005, 05:13 AM
Once you have the bb in place (you'll need a special tool for that, depending on which bb you're using), the crankset is a relative piece of cake. An 8mm hex wrench will work on almost all crank bolts. Getting it back off is another question altogether, though, unless you have self extracting crank bolts. There's a special tool for this. Most other stuff can be done with a set of hex wrenches, an adjustable wrench, a good cable cutter, a pedal wrench, and a chain tool. Unless you need to start moving cassettes around, at which point a chain whip and the tool for the particular cassette become critical.

Although on a krylon-pink bike, you may need a whole separate set of tools :cool:

-Ray

Too Tall
09-28-2005, 06:07 AM
Send it to me in a box....I send it back built....how easy is that?

William
09-28-2005, 06:19 AM

If I send you a Basket case 426 Hemi, will you slap it back together for me? :confused: Easy right? :confused:

William ;)

Too Tall
09-28-2005, 06:32 AM
Dewd...Big Blocks b x-pensive to re-build. You send BB and buckets of cash and we are in business :) OFF TOPIC ALERT....I'm getting a new engine for Buck the 51' truck next week....woo woooooooo...finally back on the road in a proper bubba-mobile.

William
09-28-2005, 06:36 AM
OFF TOPIC ALERT....I'm getting a new engine for Buck the 51' truck next week....woo woooooooo...finally back on the road in a proper bubba-mobile.

Rhea Basset wants to know if she can ride in the back. :banana:

BubbaWoo!
BubbaWoo!

William

Too Tall
09-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Of course :) Rhea and Beau the uber-poodle. Heck yeah.

shinomaster
09-28-2005, 12:02 PM

really??? :banana: :banana:

Too Tall
09-28-2005, 12:04 PM
really.

Argos
09-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Too Tall, that's a nice offer. Can I send you my Thermal Hydraulic Design Calculations HW? Same deal?

znfdl
09-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Shino:

I would take Too Tall up on his offer, as he has built all of my wife's and mine bikes. He does an incredible job.

Big Dan
09-28-2005, 12:16 PM
The Campy expert doesn't know how to build his own bike????

Amazing............. :p

alembical
09-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Shino,
While I think TooTall's offer is super duper generous of him, as much as you like bikes, why not learn to do it yourself? You are in no hurry to build it, as its been apart for months, and you have others to ride. Just a thought. If you need to borrow any tools...chain whips, pedal wrenchs, cassette tools, etc... just let me know. Just a thought........but then again damn that TooTall is generous and that is tough to pass up.

Alembical

p.s. - you racing Sunday?

shinomaster
09-28-2005, 12:26 PM
Too talls offer is super turbo gererous! Thanks Too Tall! I do actually want to learn how to build up my own bike, and by the time you price in ship in a bike back and forth it would be the same as getting it re-built at the bike gallery. I am a terrible mechanic. I just pretend like I'm a rich Ferrari owner and drop it off at my mechanics when it gets messed up, which is almost never!! HAh a
I did put most of my cross bike together but it came with the BB and head set installed.

Yes I plan on "racing" this Sunday! I'll call you Alembical!

Shino

Dr. Doofus
09-28-2005, 12:28 PM
tip:

put the wheels in the dropouts

H.Frank Beshear
09-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Don't put the wheel with the little round toothy things that spin on the front though. :D :banana: Frank

weisan
09-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Shino-pal, I commend you in wanting to do the "dirty work", it's a lot of fun. This is how I would approach it.

1) Set up the right attitude - it's ok to make mistake, cussin' is not. Be persistent. Treat this as fun.

2) Get hold of good materials - get the Bicycling Mag maintenance bike - buy it off Amazon used book section for a couple of bucks. Visit the Park Tools online website.

3) For specific challenge or question - ask them on this forum, you'll get tons of advice.

Really, that's all you need.

Too Tall
09-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Sigh...and I was already preparing some "special" decals for the HT. No worries shiningjuan I'm avail. for consult.

Venus de' Kitty -

FunkyPorcini
09-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Shino,

If you want you are more than welcome to come over to my place (or I can come to yours) and have some beers while I teach you as much as I can about building it up. I am a former shop mechanic and while I may not be the best person to learn from I have built up several bikes that, not exactly by the Barnett's standards, have come out just fine.

Up to you. I know we have never actually met but what the hell; if I can help get another person more into bikes I'm down.

Other than that I would recommend a few books...

Park Big Blue (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0976553007/qid=1127932434/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-5555194-0972832?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Barnett's (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931382298/qid=1127932475/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-5555194-0972832?v=glance&s=books)

Zen (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1884737706/qid=1127932652/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-5555194-0972832?v=glance&s=books)

Careful about the Barnett's though...it can be a bit more in depth than most of us need.

Also the Community Cycling Center (http://www.communitycyclingcenter.org/) has classes on bicycle maintenence and mechanics. I don't know how in-depth they go because I have never actually taken one.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Doofus
09-28-2005, 01:41 PM
that's even better than the hello kitty vibrator

I mean dropout adustment tool

FunkyPorcini
09-28-2005, 01:56 PM
that's even better than the hello kitty vibrator

I mean dropout adustment tool

Or the Frame Alignment Gauge [12-yr old boy snicker]

Too Tall
09-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Doof, you sir are a first class Pig ;0....we can hang.

Is there a bicycle shop in town that rents bays? 'Nuther thought.

shinomaster
09-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Shino,

If you want you are more than welcome to come over to my place (or I can come to yours) and have some beers while I teach you as much as I can about building it up. I am a former shop mechanic and while I may not be the best person to learn from I have built up several bikes that, not exactly by the Barnett's standards, have come out just fine.

Up to you. I know we have never actually met but what the hell; if I can help get another person more into bikes I'm down.

Other than that I would recommend a few books...

Park Big Blue (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0976553007/qid=1127932434/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-5555194-0972832?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Barnett's (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931382298/qid=1127932475/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-5555194-0972832?v=glance&s=books)

Zen (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1884737706/qid=1127932652/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-5555194-0972832?v=glance&s=books)

Careful about the Barnett's though...it can be a bit more in depth than most of us need.

Also the Community Cycling Center (http://www.communitycyclingcenter.org/) has classes on bicycle maintenence and mechanics. I don't know how in-depth they go because I have never actually taken one.

Hope that helps.

That would be great !!! As long as beer is involved!! I'll buy.

shinomaster
09-28-2005, 03:07 PM
Too tall....shame shame...

I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT I ALMOST BOUT A REALLY CUTE HELLO KITTY TOOTH BRUSH TO TAKE TO WORK.. oops caps lock..

dirtdigger88
09-28-2005, 03:22 PM
I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT I ALMOST BOUT A REALLY CUTE HELLO KITTY TOOTH BRUSH TO TAKE TO WORK.. oops caps lock..

step away from the toothbrush- it is not what you think it is. . .

http://www.jmate.com/data/pictures/features/p-z/TheHistoryoftheHelloKittyVibrator02.jpg

Jason

flydhest
09-28-2005, 03:58 PM
dirt went into the store and asked for one. The sales person beckoned with her index finger and said, "come this way," to which dirt replied, "if I could, I wouldn't need to buy one of these."

bah-dum

Dekonick
09-28-2005, 05:51 PM
Shino:

I would take Too Tall up on his offer, as he has built all of my wife's and mine bikes. He does an incredible job.

He built my commuter (well it was his wife'sbefore...) and I was MOST impressed with his shop. Every tool you can possibly think of - and one heck of a TALL bike work stand!

TT - can I get help re-furbishing my colorado CR? I found rust... :(

I used to be reallly careful about using linseed oil, but somehow I musta missed a spot somewhere along the line....

taz-t
09-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Shino-pal, I commend you in wanting to do the "dirty work", it's a lot of fun. This is how I would approach it.

1) Set up the right attitude - it's ok to make mistake, cussin' is not. Be persistent. Treat this as fun.

Unless you're trying to install a Campy ACH with a Park BBT-4. Then cussin' is okay. So is throwing tools, kicking the dog, etc...

- Taz in ATL

Frankwurst
09-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Mr.Taco Man,
You can build a taco...You can build a bike. Common sense and a few question and answer sessions plus the info you have access to on the net will get that bad machine up and crusin! DO NOT be intimidated. It is a bicycle not a fuel injected,computer controlled,harmonically balanced anything. I taught myself before information was so accessible and I'm an Idiot! Good Luck and remember when the going gets wierd,the wierd turn pro. :beer:

shinomaster
09-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Unless you're trying to install a Campy ACH with a Park BBT-4. Then cussin' is okay. So is throwing tools, kicking the dog, etc...

- Taz in ATL

ACH? BBT-4? you might as well be speaking French or Arabic or Japanese to me!!! haha...

shinomaster
09-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Also just for the record, I want people to know that even though I started this thread, I had nothing to do with it going of into debaucherous topics of vibrating, pink pocket pals.
:)