PDA

View Full Version : campy shifters

dr50470
08-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Could someone explain the difference between the micos, ultras and old bb's. They obviuosly look the same, and seem to operate the same. Are they simply new renditions of the same shifter? I'm confused....thanks

oldpotatoe
08-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Could someone explain the difference between the micos, ultras and old bb's. They obviuosly look the same, and seem to operate the same. Are they simply new renditions of the same shifter? I'm confused....thanks

In a large nut shell

-Intro-ed in 1992, 1992-ERGO 8s. LH double or triple(altho no Campag triples at this time), RH multiple up and down shifts. Stayed the same until 1997.

1997-same shape but 9s

1998-new rounded top shape-still 9s

2000-10s-same shape.

They stayed the same until 2007, when Centaur and Veloce adopted Xenon shift guts(Xenon lowest end group-never really sold in the US).

RH-still multiple lower gear shifts but one higher gear at a time.
LH-positional ala shimano-still double and triple

Record and Chorus stayed the same in 2007/8 regardless of marking(QS, Micro, etc). There were some small changes in the LH lever but essentially, they worked the same as from 1991/2.

2009-New shape-same as present. Ultrashift, new shift guts, same multi shift RH lever both directions, LH triple compatible but fewer 'clicks' so a triple somewhat of a challenge to make work(but you could).

2010-no changes except making Veloce and Centaur(the 2 10s shifters) 'clickier'.

2011-Centaur and Veloce along with Athena(11s) again adopt Xenon type guts along with RH lever, one higher gear at a time, LH positional. SR, Record, Chorus remain the same-

Probably left something out and yes, complicated.

dr50470
08-17-2012, 08:07 AM
thanks, than why did they put different "names" on the chorus/record shifters??? In my experience (I own one of each) they all work the same??!!

oldpotatoe
08-17-2012, 08:12 AM
thanks, than why did they put different "names" on the chorus/record shifters??? In my experience (I own one of each) they all work the same??!!

Marketing I suspect to show the low end ones were as sophisticated as the higher end ones..I donno. Kinda like putting 'GP' (GranPrix) or the like on some crappy 4 cylinder single exhaust car to make it seem racey.

Dave
08-17-2012, 08:57 AM
The name "ultra" was first used to denote a friction reducing coating on the Record indexing disc.

BB just meant ball bearing on the main pivot shaft.

QS denoted a small change to the left side front rachet that eliminated some of the dead travel from the finger lever. Some changes were made to the FD's to go with that, but any lever will still work any FD.