PDA

View Full Version : Good Wheel Repair in Boston Area?

DRZRM
09-27-2005, 02:16 PM
I just hit something :crap: which tore up my rear tire pretty good, and put a ding in--and knocked out of true--a very new Easton/Velomax Orion II rear wheel. (I got them new on ebay so they are not under warrenty, not that I think this sort of damage is generally covered anyway). I just moved to Boston this month (as you can guess I'm not a huge fan of these roads) and I don't have a good LBS yet. I think the rim can be fixed but I want someone who knows better than I to take a look. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Zach

davids
09-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Welcome to Boston!

The closest, best store to JP is probably International Bikes (http://internationalbike.com/site/intro.cfm) in Allston.

The only JP bike store I know of is Ferris Wheels (www.ferriswheelsbikeshop.com), which is a funky neighborhood shop, very much oriented toward the community.

Dedham Bike and Leather (http://www.dedhambike.com/) is another good local shop, but they're oriented towards mountain biking.

Wheelworks (http://www.wheelworks.com/) is a little further afield, but they're probably the biggest and deepest of Boston's stores, for better or worse.

Welcome to Boston (from Dorchester!)

Bradford
09-27-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm a Wheelworks guy myself even though it's an hour long drive for me. As you will find out, Wheelworks has both good and bad; if you get to know the guys there, it tends to reduce the bad. Just make sure you don't show up Saturday morning in the summer, it can be a bit of a zoo. If you have your choice of people to talk to, look for the tall pale guy; that's Peter Mooney and he always has treated me very well and he knows a lot about bikes. I’ve also been treated very well by several other people at Wheelworks and usually have a great experience.

International is also a good shop and it is rumored that a certain Jerk hangs out there. It's a little tougher for me to get to and a little tougher to find parking, but when I lived in Boston I used to go there a fair amount of time.

I've also been stopping by Cycle Loft in Burlington lately and like those guys.

There is no shortage of good shops with knowledgeable people, so you should be able to get the help you need. The roads, on the other hand, they’re not so good. Try to do as much of your riding in the burbs as you can. The Charles River Wheelman have plenty of good rides, so hook up with them and get out of the city.

Ken Robb
09-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Harris Cyclery has , among others, Sheldon Brown who is very experienced and generous with his advice.

samcat
09-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Been using them since the late '80s...Lot's of folks there to help you.
Be aware though, it gets a tad nuts on the weekends.

Dave Hess, the short smiling wrench two stands back on the left as you face the wrench pit, is one of the all time good guy wheelbuilders.

Their other shop, Ace, in S/vill, is less busy and just as good. John Allis is one terrific dude.

Regarding Harris...AFAIK, Sheldon doesn't wrench much any more. Slim Jim is a good guy, though. Be aware, too, that they don't do much in Boo-tique wheels.

PH

DRZRM
09-27-2005, 04:39 PM
the Ace Wheelworks in Sumerville if their mech's are as good as at the other Wheelworks shops. I figure I can get it back by the weekend (assuming it does not need a new rim). Suddenly I'm glad I didn't sell my D/A 7700-Mavic rimmed wheelset. It figures I put ~10,000 miles on those things without ever needing a true (at least nothing I couldn't handle myself) but a month out on Eastons and this. :confused:

Oh well, live and learn, and I do love the feel of the Orion IIs.

Thanks for all your advice folks.

By the way, I've already joined up with the CRW. I've just been so busy getting moved in, I've been squeezing in solo rides around here. I think I'll avoid the VFW freeway in the future.

samcat
09-27-2005, 04:52 PM
BTW, John is the Harvard cycling coach as well as a two time Olympic medalist. He's the slim/slight older gent in the rumpled cords and flannel shirt.

PH