PDA

View Full Version : Stretching before or after

jdoiv
09-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Which is better?

I've gone through periods of stretching before I work out to after work out stretching, to just being lazy and not stretching at all. Recently I've started using my lunch breaks to hit the gym a couple of times a week and want to make sure I'm not doing any damage by stretching at the wrong time or at all. Not looking to try out for the Circ de Solai (sp?) but would like my body to feel looser. Not worried about specific areas just want to make sure I'm doing it at the right time or should I do it at all. Any opinons or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

rpm
09-27-2005, 02:21 PM
I always stretch after, because my muscles are warmer and looser, and the stretch is much better. Stretching cold, stiff muscles is a bad idea for me--I'm more likely to pull something. It's better to do a good warmup activity. Before doing weights in the gym, I do 5-10 minutes on the rowing ergometer to get everything moving.

Bud
09-27-2005, 02:24 PM
My understanding of the "proper time" to stretch (and what works well for me) is to do it when your muscles are a bit warmed up, not when they are "cold" before you exerted them at all. As a runner and cyclist, for me this means after I've had a bit of a warmup (5 minutes of running or 10 minutes of cycling) and maybe again afterwards. I also stretch after a hot shower or soak.

Ray
09-27-2005, 04:36 PM
My understanding of the "proper time" to stretch (and what works well for me) is to do it when your muscles are a bit warmed up, not when they are "cold" before you exerted them at all. As a runner and cyclist, for me this means after I've had a bit of a warmup (5 minutes of running or 10 minutes of cycling) and maybe again afterwards. I also stretch after a hot shower or soak.
I get a much better stretch after a ride when my muscles are thoroughly warm and loose. But I tend to have a much better ride when I stretch before the ride and work out any tightness before I get on the bike. So, in my non-working state (having plenty of time), I do both. I generally get up, have a hot shower or soak, do a half hour of yoga, eat breakfast and then ride. When I get back from the ride, I don't do a whole yoga routine, but I do a half dozen or so key stretches for my legs and back over about 10-15 minutes. The combination does me a world of good.

-Ray

andy mac
09-27-2005, 05:50 PM
there's a free pdf download on stretching by the physio of the aussie olympic cycling team (who is also the current national mtn. bike champ) at:

http://www.topbike.com.au/physio.htm

cheers,

andy.

Climb01742
09-27-2005, 06:01 PM
begin each ride slowly. warm-up on the bike. stretch after. that little sequence has always worked for me.

Russ
09-27-2005, 06:28 PM
begin each ride slowly. warm-up on the bike. stretch after. that little sequence has always worked for me.

What the Climb said: This is a man of wisdom!!!!

Cadence230
09-27-2005, 08:45 PM
I also read somewhere something to the effect research has shown that if you do deep stretching there is temporary loss of maximal strength in the muscle being stretched for about 30 min after the stretch. I however do light stretching especially to my back, shoulders, neck and lats before I ride. Often if I have the chance while I'm riding I'll stretch my quads...squueze it out. Also I'll stretch the hamstrings while I'm riding from time to time. Hitting the hamstring area helps me settle into my pelvic tilt deeper and I find it easier to relax into this position. This feels great a gives me a little lift that I really enjoy greatly. Ohhhhhh....yaaa...

vaxn8r
09-27-2005, 09:31 PM
The latest studies I have read....do not support any benefit of stretching, before or after. Basically, if you feel it helps do it but nobody's proved anything.

Then again, lot's of things can't necessarily be proven. Doesn't make them wrong.

For the record, I've never stretched. Years of competitive swimming/riding. Never felt any big improvement when I did...waste of time for me. Rather spend it on the bike.

gasman
09-27-2005, 10:00 PM
The latest studies I have read....do not support any benefit of stretching, before or after. Basically, if you feel it helps do it but nobody's proved anything.

Then again, lot's of things can't necessarily be proven. Doesn't make them wrong.

For the record, I've never stretched. Years of competitive swimming/riding. Never felt any big improvement when I did...waste of time for me. Rather spend it on the bike.

The studies were looking at whether streching helped prevent injury before or after running. It doesn't as you say. But I feel better streching afterwards as it helps me ride in the drops a little more comfortably as I have increased my previously poor flexibility. Stretching not help my spelling. I also have found stretching helps my rock climbing.
Mainly I want to prevent Rigor Mortis from setting in too soon. :rolleyes:

vaxn8r
09-28-2005, 12:12 AM
gman, old man, the question is, can you still tie your shoes? :)

gasman
09-28-2005, 04:40 PM
gman, old man, the question is, can you still tie your shoes? :)

Velcro baby, Velcro !!!