PDA

View Full Version : Serotta GP Suisse Cyclocross

patmacc
08-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Hello,

New to this board but would appreciate some advice. I am looking for a solid all-around bike - not to race, but light touring / commuting / family riding. Have traditionally just rode my mountain bike. After a fairly brief search, and a few test rides, I had homed in on a Surly Cross Check, or a Bianchi Volpe. Then a Serotta came up locally on Craigslist.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/3198209548.html

I am 6'2", 190#. Although I have not yet seen this bike, it looks like it should fit, perhaps with tweaking. A few questions:

1) Does it seem like a good value at this price ($1500)
2) I have been able to find pretty limited information on this model (part of the "Heritage Collection" - doesn't even seem to be in Serotta catalogs from 2006-2008, and it looks like they definitely don't make it anymore. I called Serotta - they were friendly but said they couldn't help w/ any information unless I wanted to buy a new bike. They also told me the lifetime warranty on the frame would not transfer to me. Does anyone have any insight into this model? Any issues? Why are they not still making it?
3) Do I need to worry about this being an authentic Serotta? Are there counterfeits out there? Hate to sound paranoid, but it seems that Craigslist is chock full of scammers.

It certainly seems like a major step up from the Surly and Bianchi (and perhaps more than I need), but if it's a great deal and will be a reliable and durable ride for years to come, then perhaps I'll go for it.

Thanks for any advice you can offer this newbie!

Patrick

Aaron O
08-15-2012, 05:29 PM
It's not a step up, it's an elevator up. Comparing a Surly Cross Check to that Serotta is like comparing four dogs playing poker to the Sistine Chapel. This to me is a no brainer and the only consideration is cost. If you can afford the Serotta without making a dent into finances, it's a much better bike - it's also going to be worth a lot more down the road and will take less of a depreciation hit.

You might want to try negotiating the price, but I suspect that frame is going to garner some interest. I'm not that familiar with the market for these, or the market in Boston. I do know that bike makes me swoon.

Nothing is jumping out to make me doubt its authenticity, but closer photos of the lugs and frame details would help there. The decals are right.

Bonus - it's red, and everyone knows red bikes are faster than any others - saving orange.

christian
08-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Buy the bike. Good stuff that.

djg
08-15-2012, 07:00 PM
They only offered the model for a couple of years or so, but Serotta did offer both steel and ti versions of the GP Suisse cross bike -- it's a real model from this century. I had the ti version (stolen last fall) -- it was a great stock race bike. I'd guess that the steel version is pretty darn good too.

JayBay
08-15-2012, 07:14 PM
I've been drooling over that one myself, but I just can't justify it right now. I think that bike would make an awesome all-around ride if it fits you - like others have pointed out it's in a whole different league than the Crosscheck and other producetion steel frames. It seems like a decent deal too, at that price. It's probably only still available because of the bigger size. This has been on and off CL for at least 6-8 weeks now, and it was even on eBay but didn't sell, so there may be some wiggle room in the price by now. Good luck!

BumbleBeeDave
08-15-2012, 07:17 PM
. . . then you should be all over that deal like a cheap suit. Go for it!

BBD

maunahaole
08-15-2012, 07:23 PM
If you are 6-2 that might be a hair too big for you with the 60tt on that. Depends on your flexibility and torso length.

Clydesdale
08-15-2012, 09:25 PM
I owned one for about a year and might be the bike I regret selling the most. If it fits you will be happy with it. They are great frames.

patmacc
08-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Thank you all for the great, and unanimous feedback. I stopped by this evening to look at it and make sure the fit is OK. Although I couldn't ride it, the fit felt really good! I've decided to move forward with it, and will hopefully pick it up sometime next week. Again, thanks for taking the time to weigh in!!
Cheers,
Pat