PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on White Industries Eccentric Hub

Levee Road
08-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Anyone used one? I just built a single speed xtracycle, and think it might be the best solution to chain tension.

Jaq
08-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Sounds about right.

I'm generally pretty tense around eccentrics.

mtb_frk
08-15-2012, 03:10 PM
I have one on my ss cross bike. It is a much better solution than a chain tensioner. No worries about dropping the chain. However, it is the only wheel I can use on that bike. That is the only drawback I can think of.

93legendti
08-15-2012, 03:42 PM
I have used one on a cross bike and a road bike and it worked fine. I think I sold one to mtb_frk.

Come think of it, I have an Eno wheel I'm not using. Going to turn that into a tubeless conversion...

hokoman
08-15-2012, 04:16 PM
shameless plug - i have a wheelset for sale in the classifieds. i have another on a commuter that works flawlessly, but sold the frameset this one was going to go on.... :)

mtb_frk
08-15-2012, 06:54 PM
I have used one on a cross bike and a road bike and it worked fine. I think I sold one to mtb_frk.

Come think of it, I have an Eno wheel I'm not using. Going to turn that into a tubeless conversion...

Ha yeah you did. I rebuilt it with a tubular major tom rim.

93legendti
08-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Ha yeah you did. I rebuilt it with a tubular major tom rim.

Cool. :)

spamjoshua
08-15-2012, 07:01 PM
For singlespeed conversion they are near flawless. if you want fixed, while they work, I suspect you will end up wanting a frame change (higher bb) more than a wheel specific solution.

djg
08-15-2012, 07:16 PM
I've used one on the road -- works fine. Seems very good as far as the basic job of being a hub goes, and yeah, with a little fiddling you can get decent chain tension fixed or ss on a bike with vertical dropouts.

tuscanyswe
08-15-2012, 07:32 PM
There is another solution that you may or may not know of.

Forward components make an eccentric bottom bracket for hollowtech2 cranks thats you can use in regular english bottom brackets (perhaps ita too dont know).

It works really well. There is only so much tension you can get from it so its best use with a halflink chain. Ive run it on a ss cross and currently its on a messenger cargo bike with no probs.

Remember it beeing kinda pricey tho..

one60
08-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Have used on with great success for a few years. They are extremely well made & when coupled with their dos/eno freewheel let's you have the option of two gears without the need for two freewheels.

One caveat, depending on how one adjusts the chain tension,the eccentric nature of the hub can require an adjustment to the brake pads. But once its done its set & forget.

mtb_frk
08-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Yeah that's true about the brake pads. I had a hard time getting my cantis to hit the rim right. Switching over to mini-v brakes solved that. It wasn't bad, but not perfect.

Levee Road
08-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Sounds like a good choice. Sorry Hokoman, need a 26 in wheel. Anybody have one?

jamesutiopia
08-16-2012, 06:26 AM
I have one and like it for converting a road bike with a high BB and vertical drops to fixed. Would caution that it is a hack and is quite possible to make the hub slip-- mine slips if I bunny hop over train tracks or cracks in the road. It works fine (I ride it several times per week) so long as I avoid doing things that put a lot of force on the wheels, but I wouldn't use the Eno hub on an MTB or cargo bike for this reason. I've asked White Ind about this and there is no solution except to keep the wheels on the ground (where they belong).

Phil Wood "Philcentric (http://www.philwood.com/products/bbpages/philcentric.php)" and the Forward Components eBB (formerly at forwardcycle.com (http://forwardcycle.com), but not apparently gone) are eccentric external-cup BBs (e.g. Hollowtech II compatible) that convert a normal (i.e. non-eccentric) BB shell to an eccentric BB (might requre a half link in the chain), which could be a more robust solution. I've not tried it but like the idea.

oldpotatoe
08-16-2012, 07:44 AM
Anyone used one? I just built a single speed xtracycle, and think it might be the best solution to chain tension.

Built wheels using it, installed some. They work well, are pretty simple, spacing can be changed with different bolt on axle ends. If you change cog size/CR size, it does necessitate a brake adjust since the wheel is going up or down in the frame.

Marburg
08-16-2012, 06:18 PM
I had an ENO for a good while to convert a mtb to a 26" townie. Worked very well, but I have to admit it made my inner OCD cringe a little. Hackish, I guess. But certainly no technical problems.

SoCalSteve
08-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Get long reach brakes and you will have lots more play to "play" with....

Bruce K
08-16-2012, 09:49 PM
I've been using one on my road SS for a couple of years now

Good solution to reusing old road frames

BK