PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Look frames, especially 585

Matthew
09-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Just wondered if any of you have ridden or own any Looks especially the 585. My never ending quest to purchase another bike has led me to Look for now. Any thoughts on it versus a carbon Colnago? Would love your input and I promise to never bring up another non Serotta brand on this forum again!! And oh, would you choose a Moots over the Look? That brand is the current front runner for my cash. Thanks, Matthew.

LegendRider
09-27-2005, 09:07 AM
I traded emails with Saul Raisin on Credit Agricole and he says it's the best bike he's ever ridden. Take it for what it's worth given that he's sponsored by Look...

Dave
09-27-2005, 09:26 AM
I've owned two C-40s and now have a LOOK KG381 and a KG461. Both brands produce a fine product, but there are differences. Colnagos have longer front centers and more steering trail, so they'll track straight at high speed, but they aren't as repsonsive in high speed cornering. The choice is a matter of personal preference.

Haven't ridden the 585 myself, but all reports are that it's a pretty stiff bike. Never read anything bad about it. The 2006 555 model is probably a better value, if you're on a budget.

Colnagos are generally a lot more expensive. I got mine back when the dollar would buy much more over in Europe than it does now, so the price wasn't too bad. Both resold for a good price after I used them for two years.

Leftover LOOKs can often be purchased for 30% or more off retail. I got my 381 frame for $1300 (new in the box), which is just over 1/2 the orginal MSRP. There are some great e-bay deals on new frames if you have the patience to keep looking.

weisan
09-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Please take this for what it's worth. I traded email with someone at VeltecSports, the US distributor of LOOK frames.

Qn: How does the latest 585 compared to an older LOOK model like KG281? Assuming a scale of 1 to 10, and the 585 being 10, how do you rate KG281? I would like the opinion from someone who has ridden both frames.

Answer:
Don't know that anyone has made a 10 yet....but the 585 is hands down
one of the finest frames ever made.....There will be a noticeable
difference in the weight/ride quality for the 281....but this is not
the difference you would feel from an alumiunum frame to carbon frame....it
is a very subtle difference....and I'm sure if 10 different people rode
both frames there would be one or two that said the 281 was "better"
than the 585.....some people find the feel of a high dampening carbon
is discerning and perfer a little "feed back" from the road....in the end
the 585 will be the lightest...strongest...plushest....281 just slightly
less so....Troy.
-----------------------------
I might add...that I own a KG281 bought on eBay for less than $400 Frame+HCS2 Fork+CarbonErgoSeatpost. It's the perfect addition to my stable of a Ti and steel bike...specifically to run in with the boys on the kamikaze group ride -- smooth, stiff, light, fast handling. Just the right tool for what I need - Overall Customer Satisfaction 10/10.

chrisroph
09-27-2005, 10:35 AM
I've got a 281 with hsc3 fork. Its the only look I've ever owned or ridden. It is a model that served many tour riders well in its day. Its reasonably llight, smooth, pretty stiff and very balanced. It appears to be very well made and engineered. I understand that look builds its own tubes. Its only flaw is that it has a lot of vertical spring on really bumpy roads, it will kind of bounce you in the air on such roads. I've retired it as my racing bike in favor of a legend. The 585 appears to be light years ahead of it in technology. The newer frame is all carbon compared to carbon tubes glued into aluminum lugs, and it is much lighter. I would not pay near list for look. Last year's models are deeply discounted. They are also available from overseas without warranties. Don't expect to find a deal like weisan's, he stole his bike!

Kurt
09-27-2005, 10:45 AM
is what I say, going to test out a friends this week sometime when he has it built up, great quality for sure and they are the only peg frame that I have seen that has a decent sized ht to limit the # of spacers - ht on the xl is 17.5 and fits me perfect - hope the frame is too stiff for me or I find something else I hate. They compete with Time so I would think its got to be pretty stiff.

CSi guy
09-27-2005, 10:46 AM
I own a Look 381 I Jalabert and also Legend Ti. The Look frame is very solid on the climbs, soaks up the road vibrations, and with a carbon fork and seat post makes many bumps in the road disappear. I would recommend it to anyone. I live in CO so am familiar with the Moots and will own one sometime in the near future. Also a great ride. My Legend Ti feels about the same as the Look although actually soaks up the road vibrations a bit better. A bigger difference is when I use a Ksyrium wheel vs a regular DA/hub with cxp33 rims... the ride of the ksyrium is pretty harsh in comparision. Look seems to continue making a quality product. I was in Paris 2 years ago and the guys in the hotel had both raced at a local level. Their favorite frame was the Look. The only drawback is the Look frame comes with the French flag on the down tube which I know would cause trouble with some of the members. Viva la Lance!(I mean France)

weisan
09-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Its only flaw is that it has a lot of vertical spring on really bumpy roads, it will kind of bounce you in the air on such roads.
Now that Chris-pal mentioned it, he's absolutely right. I felt that too.

The 585 appears to be light years ahead of it in technology.
Technology-wise, I agree, 585 is light years ahead. But that does not translate in equal terms to improvement in ride qualities. The point I am trying to make is, I am sure there's improvement, but not quantum leap.

Don't expect to find a deal like weisan's, he stole his bike!
haa..ha...! Y'reRight! :D Last Thursday, I took the wife and kids out for lunch and we stopped at an intersectio. A homeless guy walked up with his carry-on luggage and I spotted a bolt cutter tool hooked up to the side of his pants, swinging back and forth. I thought to myself: "Hey, that's a pretty neat trick!" Wish I could walk around with that thing without being stopped by the police. :p

victoryfactory
09-27-2005, 11:01 AM
You may be interested in my post in the custom bike area:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=9392

I compared the Look 555 to my Legend Ti

VF

bluesea
09-27-2005, 12:26 PM
I've owned two C-40s and now have a LOOK KG381 and a KG461. Both brands produce a fine product, but there are differences. Colnagos have longer front centers...

What is the significance of a longer front center, both in terms of the Colnago, and in the broader scheme of things?

vaxn8r
09-27-2005, 02:16 PM
You may be interested in my post in the custom bike area:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=9392

I compared the Look 555 to my Legend Ti

VF
I missed your review, thanks for the link.

Also, I wonder how much "bumpiness" to the Look might be attributed to a wishbone stay? I guess it would be hard to distinguish with so many variables. I know Trek recently converted to "normal" stays from a wishbone. Calfee uses only standard stays. Parlee uses a wishbone on it's "budget" model, admittedly to save money. Crumpton uses only a wishbone. I don't know what you can take from all this other than maybe it's just a design preference.

I suppose the Meivici will have the typical ST/wishbone rear end of the Ottrot and Legend. Anyone know anything different?

Dave
09-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Colnagos geometry hasn't changed for a long time. The longer front center is the result of a fairly slack head tube angle, at least in the small to middle sizes. Colango's official geometry chart doesn't list the HTA, but the trialtir-usa website used to have one with the HTA listed. The 54cm that I had only had a 71.5 degree HTA.

Functionally, it will produce more steering trail (with the 43mm fork offset used on all frames), a longer wheelbase and a bit less weight on the front end.